Protein Electrophoresis aka serum protein electrophoresis test is done to identify some unique kind of protein in the body to detect specific diseases. Protein is a substance made up of smaller blocks called amino acids. Protein electrophoresis uses an electric field to pick up the proteins from the blood serum in the groups of shape, size, and charge. The blood serums in the human body contain two types of proteins, albumin, and globulin. Protein electrophoresis breaks down these two proteins into further five smaller categories: Albumin Alpha 1 globulin Alpha 2 globulin Beta globulin Gamma globulin
There is nothing much to do before going for this test. This is a blood test. You can just visit your doctor and ask for any implications of this test on your body. Whether you need it and the risks involved while going for the test. You need not change your diet routine and you can eat and drink normally. If something needs to be altered you will be informed by the technician or your doctor. Though the medicines may not affect test results, your doctor should be informed of the medication.
Serum protein electrophoresis is a special test done to identify some peculiar diseases in the body. It helps you monitor a variety of conditions and symptoms like; The cancerous cells in the body. Any problems with kidney or liver. If you are having troubles with your immune system. If you aren’t getting sufficient nutrition, this test will help you recognize that. Protein electrophoresis identifies levels of abnormal proteins and is suggested for follow up when the groups of proteins are unusually high or low. The test is a help in detecting multiple sclerosis along with the other tests.
The blood taking procedure is simple and does not involve any risks. Wrap the elastic band around your arm to stop the blood flow so that your veins are visible. Once the vein is identified, he/she will clean the area and prick the needle to take out the required blood. The blood is transferred to a test tube or small collection bottle and labeled. The technician will then apply a cotton pad over the wound and secure it with a clinical tape.
All age groups
Glucose is the primary ingredient within the body which is turned into an energy source. This is what we use when we move, walk or make the slightest movements. To metabolize glucose into energy, your body needs insulin, which is a hormone produced within the pancreas. However, if the body doesn't react to the insulin or the pancreas is unable to produce enough, glucose cannot be converted into energy and thus results in type 2 diabetes.
Symptoms of type 2 diabetes
Causes of Type 2 diabetes
Some of the most common causes of Type 2 diabetes could be:
There three major factors that can help you prevent and reverse pre- and type II diabetes: proper diet and appropriate nutritional and herbal supplementation, exercise, and weight management.
Ayurveda, translated into science of life and longevity, has been practiced in India for more than 5000 years old and has gained worldwide popularity. It uses noninvasive and natural methods and produces minimal side effects and therefore is being widely accepted.
Ayurveda believes that the body is made of pitta, vata, and kapha systems (or doshas) and diseases are due to imbalance between these or predominance of one over the others. Obesity for instance is believed to be due to kapha predominance, leading to excessive eating and thereby obesity. There are various herbs (listed below) that are used in treatment of weight loss, and they all act by burning more fat and improving natural metabolism.
It is proven that Ayurveda is a safe method to help you lose weight. Also, please note that each of these above products will have benefits in other medical conditions and not used only in obesity cases. In addition to the above specific products, there should be a combination of healthy eating and exercise, which primarily drives weight loss. Balancing eating and sleeping to homegenise the three doshas in the body is also very important for effective weight loss. Increasing water intake, reducing alcohol intake, planning protein-carb ratio, and customized exercise routine are are aspects to be considered. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ayurveda.
At times being able to conceive becomes a challenge due to certain biological reasons. Feeling positive and eating healthy naturally takes you a step nearer to getting pregnant. In case of no medical condition acting as an obstruction, consuming the right food can increase your chances of getting pregnant.
Here’s a list of supplements you can include in your diet to maximise your chances of getting pregnant.
1. Choose whole grains over refined carbohydrates: Reducing the intake of refined carbohydrates (found in milk, potatoes, corn to name a few) can reduce inflammation of the genitals, which will help increase fertility. You can still continue to have your favourite foods, but ensure they are low GI (glycaemic index- a figure used to represent the ability of carbohydrate to increase glucose in blood) carbohydrates.
You can consume whole grains, which help in reducing insulin levels that in turn reduce the risk of heart diseases and diabetes and also help lower cholesterol levels. Try having whole grain bread instead of white bread and porridge instead of sugary processed cereals to reduce your GI ingestion.
2. Harness the power of Proteins: Proteins are an important part of your diet and the type of proteins you require careful consideration as they help make new hormones. Try having 25gms of vegetable protein like seeds, legumes and nuts instead of animal protein.
Add dairy foods to your diet as they are also a rich source of protein. They provide vital minerals and nutrients like magnesium, calcium and vitamin B12 to the body and at the same time are low in calories. Include milk, yoghurt and cottage cheese to your meals so that you have a minimum of three servings of dairy products a day, which is essential to meet your nutritional needs and increase your chances of having a baby.
3. Welcome Good Fats: Processed foods, fatty meats and takeaways are high in saturated fats including trans fats. These lead to inflammation and an increase of oxygen free radicals in the body, which decrease fertility. So, incorporate good fats in your diet in controlled quantities. Try having avocado and tomato on a whole grain toast, for instance.
4. Make folate an integral part of your diet: Folate is an essential nutrient that helps in decreasing the incidence of birth defects in babies, while ensuring a healthy conception. Along with the prescribed supplements, try to increase its intake in its natural form. The best way to do this is by having green leafy vegetables, which are a rich source of folate. You can also have veggie sticks and vegetable soup along or green vegetable dishes to increase your folate intake. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Gynaecologist.
If you have anemia, your blood does not carry enough oxygen to the rest of your body. The most common cause of anemia is not having enough iron. Your body needs iron to make hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is an iron-rich protein that gives the red color to blood. It carries oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body.
Anemia has three main causes: blood loss, lack of red blood cell production, and high rates of red blood cell destruction.
Conditions that may lead to anemia include
Anemia can make you feel tired, cold, dizzy, and irritable. You may be short of breath or have a headache.
Your doctor will diagnose anemia with a physical exam and blood tests. Treatment depends on the kind of anemia you have.
low platelet count is also known as thrombocytopenia. The human blood is essentially composed of four components namely erythrocytes (red blood cells), leukocytes (white blood cells), thrombocytes (blood platelets), and plasma.
Here we create a list of food items that helps in the lower platelet count problem. These fruits items, dairy products, protein items, vitamins, and minerals help in increasing platelet count.
1. : It is rich in iron and also contains vitamins. This fruit help to combat increasing platelet reduction with regular consumption & vitamins to keep your energy levels steady.
2. : It has high calcium which helps to regenerate the platelet. Calcium content with vitamin K and milk protein “Fibrinogen” increases the Platelet count and improves the blood's ability to form the clot. Calcium Deficiency can lead to your body much longer time in forming a clot .
3. : Folate or B9 is essential for healthy cell division in the body. A severe deficiency of folate in the body can result in a reduction in Blood Platelet. Daily intake of Folate is 400 mg is required. When the platelet count is low it’s consumption increases the platelet count. Food rich in Folate is Asparagus, Orange juice, Spinach, and fortified cereals.
4. : Lean protein food is an excellent source of Zinc and Vitamin 12 which are essential to reverse the effects of thrombocytopenia. In case of reduced platelet count take food like soybean, spinach (Palak), black beans, cow’s milk, white of egg, Oatmeal, Fish, and white meat chicken. This protein item helps increase platelet count
5.: Extract of the leaf of papaya is excellent for overall blood production and increases the platelet count (Prepare an extract of leaves by boiling leaves in medium heat for 15 minutes with water and wait till the water comes down to half ). Take leaf extract 2tsf twice daily.
6. : These oils strengthen the Immune system many autoimmune disorders are cause of thrombocytopenia or low platelet count. These oils reduce the inflammation of the body and improve blood circulation throughout the body.
7. : Vitamin A is essential for healthy platelet production, it also plays a role in the formation of Protein in the body which helps in the process of cell division and growth. Carrot, Pumpkin, Kale, and Sweet Potatoes (Sakarkandi).
9. : Vitamin K keeps cell growth at an optimum level in the body. Life of platelets is only 10 days which is to be compensated continually to maintain the lost amount in the body, hence high-calorie food for ideal production of blood platelets and vitamin K is one of the ingredients available in Eggs, Green leafy vegetables, Kale, Frozen Spinach, Mustard Greens Broccoli & Liver.
10. : To combat Thrombocytopenia in patients a vital anti-inflammatory diet is recommended by Platelet Disorder Association which helps in optimum blood production e.g. Whole grains, vegetables, and organic beans is recommended while animal protein is to be avoided except Fish Yogurt & cheese.
Update From Lybrate: Keep a check on your overall well-being by consuming healthy and delicious products. These Healthy Food Items not only soothe your taste buds but also keep you hydrated.