Hello, everyone. I am Dr Anubhav Gupta and I am a plastic surgeon at Sir Gangaram Hospital.
Today I am going to answer few important questions related to the technique of Liposuction.
What is Liposuction?
Liposuction is a technique in which we inject medicated fluid in the body of a person and after then we take out the fat through suction from the body.
Is Liposuction safe?
Liposuction is a very safe procedure.
Who is a good candidate for Liposuction?
If people come to me for reducing their weight to 80-100 kgs, I refuse for Liposuction, as they are not suitable for this treatment. But people who have localized areas or difficult areas which they are not able to reduce that particular fat part inspite of following a proper diet and regular exercise, they are appropriate candidates. The generalised obesity people are not suitable for Liposuction. This treatment is suitable for such areas of the body which needs to be controlled and sculpted.
What is the duration of a treatment?
Liposuction depends on the number of areas we are treating. For example- Liposuction od abdominal area can be done in 3 hrs, Liposuction of thighs can be done in 1-2 hrs. Hence the treatment duration depends on the number of areas we are treating.
How long is the recovery period?
The recovery period of one area is about 24-48 hours. But if the Liposuction is done in 2-3 areas then you may suffer from pain for 2-3 days. There may occur some bruising which can last for 17-18 days.
Is there any risk or side effects?
If the Liposuction is done in a reputed Hospital through a well-experienced surgeon, then the risks are minimal. There are definitely certain minimal risks after any surgery, which is normal. Common side effect we see in patients after Liposuction is the collection of fluid which is called Seroma which is seen in less than 5% o our cases. apart from this, Bruising may occur for some period. But excluding these issues, it is quite safe if it is done by the well- an experienced or a well-trained surgeon in a controlled environment and in a healthy manner.
If you have any queries regarding Liposuction, You can contact me through Lybrate.
Thank you.read more
Hello friends, I am Dr Anubhav Gupta. I am a consultant of cosmetic and plastic surgeon. Today I am going to talk about a very common topic, that is Facial injuries. Now this is something which we see very common in our day to day life. Face is comprising of a lot of structures; the skin, there is the subcutaneous tissues, there are muscles, then there is bone underneath it. So when we talk about facial injuries, we can divide them broadly into two types:
- One is the simple injuries and
- The complex facial injuries.
Now the simple injuries are the one, which we see like, our kids, they fall in the house, and they have cuts, and they have continuous lacerated wounds.
The complex facial injuries are seen when there are road traffic accidents, where there are deep cuts right up to the muscle and there are fractures of these bones.
So these are the common types of injuries related to face. Now the question which next comes to our mind is, what to do?
So in case of facial injuries, what is required to be to be done is, whenever such injuries happen, we need to apply some pressure on that, so that the bleeding stops. And if you are concerned about good scars and better looking sutured wounds, then you should consult a plastic surgeon to get it sutured. And in any case, it has to repaired, it has to be stitched. This is how the management of simple injuries is done.
But in case of complex injuries, they require advanced management, wherein not only a plastic surgeon but also a neurosurgeon and many other surgeons are involved because these injuries are usually not isolated injuries. They occur with head injuries also, and many times there are injuries to other parts of the body also. So it is better to take the patient to a better hospital. So in such injuries, what we usually do is, once the patient is stabilised, such injuries, for example a fractures, requires fixation.
Fixation means, is very similar to fracture of the hand or the limb, there is plating and screws and clamps and plasters and related things. The principles are similar for all these things also. So we use very fine, titanium plates for fractures.
The common fractured parts are the upper maxilla, or the lower maxilla or the mandible. The importance in such facial injuries, there are two priorities:-
- One is , the patient should be able to eat, even after these injuries and fractures. Because once these bones are fractured, it becomes very difficult to eat so the main priority is that the patient should be able to eat even after these injuries.
- The second thing is, the lower part of the eye. So, there should be no problem in the vision, as well as the cosmetic outcome. So these bones are put back together anatomically by plating and fixation. So that the patient can lead a normal life, i.e, having a normal vision, and is able to eat properly.
So these are the principles required for practical fixation of complex facial injuries.
Now, to know more about these types of injuries you can get in touch with me on Lybrate. Thank You.read more
In today’s world, there are hardly few people who do not have a scar or a tattoo on their body. Basically, scars are marks which are left after any injury.
How can we prevent scars?
The most important thing is to take immediate treatment after having an injury to prevent scars, it is imperative or it is important even if it is a small scar or small injury. Even if we let it heal on its own, it usually will leave a bad mark. So it is always advisable to take some treatment, in case you have a cut, preferably with a plastic surgeon or any other trained person who can stitch these wounds in a manner which will leave a minimal scar.
The next question which comes to our mind is that, Is it possible to completely remove the scar or make the scars invisible?
Well, honestly, it is not possible. Every individual has his own way of healing, and in some patients, we have seen such good healing that the scars become hardly noticeable. Still by better techniques, by use of creams, lasers and other techniques, the scars can actually be made almost invisible.
Now I would like to discuss is Tattoos,
We, as plastic surgeons are concerned about making tattoos. But a lot of people approach us, to get their tattoo removed. There may be many reasons like social reasons like somebody gets selected in the Army or the police force where the tattoos are not allowed. So these patients come to us, and they ask what can be done for these tattoos. Basically, there are two modalities for managing a tattoo:
- One is a non-surgical or laser or by chemical peeling
Laser treatment is more effective in removing scars rather than tattoos. It requires a number of sittings, usually 6 to 8 sittings or even more, as per the requirement. It makes the tattoo little hazy and little lighter after a certain period of time. There are however certain tattoos, which can be removed to a great extent but not completely.
Then the other technique is by surgical excision or surgical removal. Now this technique is useful for people, like, somebody comes to me and says, Sir I have my medical interview for Army after 20 days and I have a tattoo which is not allowed and I cannot go for laser, so the option that is available is surgical removal. If the scars are thin, like these names and all, they can be easily removed with leaving just a line, which with time becomes lighter. But if there are big scars, or big tattoos, which are broader, then many times we have to remove them and we need to put a graft also, a skin graft. So these are the two techniques, by suturing or by skin graft, wherein we can remove the scars and tattoos.
To know more about this, you can get in touch with me on Lybrate. Thank You.read more
Hello friends, I am Dr. Anubhav Gupta. I am a consultant of plastic and cosmetic surgeon. Today I am going to talk about breast surgery.
Breast surgery is a fast growing field, and a sub speciality of plastic and cosmetic surgery. Basically, breast surgery is a field that involves any surgery related to the breast, whether it is male or female. And basically, we can broadly divide breast surgery into two broad compartments.
- Aesthetic or cosmetic breast surgery
- Reconstructive breast surgery.
Reconstructive surgery is basically involving swelling, lumps in the breasts, then post-cancer, when the breast is removed in the cancer, and then the reconstruction, making the breast new, a new breast in a post cancer patient. These all come under reconstructive breast surgery.
But the field which is fast growing these days, is the Cosmetic breast surgery. In the cosmetic breast surgery, there are many surgeries.
In females, there is:
These are the common surgeries. And in male, gynaecomastia surgery is coming up, and it is becoming more demanding these days. Males, young boys between 20 to 30 years are now the bigger number of patients coming to us and operating now, has increased manifolds in the past couple of years. Because people are now more aware. Now we have techniques which give very good aesthetic results. So this is about aesthetic breast surgery. And among this, one type of breast surgery, which is augmentation mammoplasty or enhancement is becoming very popular.
Females with small sized breasts come to us and we enhance the breasts by two basic techniques:
- One is by implants
- The other is by fat grafting
In case of fat grafting, we take the fat of the patient itself, like, we take it from parts which are more bulgy like their abdomen or the buttocks and then we put it in the breast to enhance them. So that is also a popular surgery which is being done.
Then there is breast reduction. In many females, rather young females, there is an abnormally large growth of breasts tissue leading to embarrassment of these patients, pain in the neck and back, and they come to us for correction. So this is also possible now by the technique called breast reduction.
To conclude, breast surgery has now become a very safe and predictable surgery, with a reasonable good outcome.
And to know more about it, and to contact me, you can get in touch with me on Lybrate. Thank You.read more
Rhinoplasty is basically a surgery, wherein we change the size and shape of an individual’s nose, to make it look better.
Now who are the people who come to us for rhinoplasty?
Basically, there are two groups of people who come to us, those are;
- One is people who are generally not happy with the size or shape of their nose. They feel its broader, its thinner or it does not look good on their face.
- And the second group of people includes who had some injury to their nose and it has deformed their nose.
The question which comes to patients mind is that who is a good candidate for rhinoplasty?
See, I am very selective when I choose my patients for rhinoplasty. Because, suppose a patient comes to me and says, that "Doctor, I want my nose to look like Katrina Kaif’s", and they bring the photo of that person or some actor or actress .So, for such patients, I personally feel that they may or may not be happy even after we do the surgery. Because what they aspire for, or what they look for, is very impractical. So, suppose that is one sort of group.
The other group who comes to me , and say, " Doctor, I feel, that I have a broad nose and I feel that it should be thinner, and on my face I think it should be thinner". Then what we do is, we sit across these patients, we give them a mirror and we ask them to look at themselves and we as a third person have a look at that person, and then we decide, we discuss.
So in rhinoplasty, it is very important for the surgeon and the patient to have a common understanding of what is bad for that patient, what is looking bad and what needs to be done. Unless the patient and the surgeon are on the same page, I think it is not advisable to do a rhinoplasty, because the results what we give. Ultimately it is the patient who should feel good about it. It is not about what I do and what I feel is good, no. It is about how the patient feels, and that he feels good about it, and feels that "yes, now my nose is looking good". So this is about it.
Then what exactly do we do in rhinoplasty?
We do rhinoplasty by an open technique. That is, a very small cut is made here, and the nose is opened, and we do the dsurgery according to patients requirement. After the surgery, there is a packing which is done for two layers. There is a small pack which is made, and there is a splint which is applied in the nose, and it is kept there for 7 to 10 days. Usually there is a little bit of bruising and swelling. But after 1 week or 10 days, the packs and splint is removed and the patient start feeling at ease. There may be swelling for upto 1 month but it get back to normal within 6 months. So, the result of rhinoplasty keeps on changing, but in order to see good results, it usually takes minimum 1 month, because there is a lot of swelling on the tip. So we advise our patients to have some patience in order to se appreciable results.
To know more about rhinoplasty, you can contact me on Lybrate. Thank You.read more
Doctor in Sir Ganga Ram Hospital
Cysts Removal Procedure
Tattoo Removal Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Treatment of Gynaecomastia
Skin Laser Treatment
Skin Rash Treatment
Hair Regrowth Procedure
Breast Reduction Procedure
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Hernia Repair Surgery
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Acne / Pimples Treatment
Hair Loss Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Platelet Rich Plasma Treatment
Submit a review for Sir Ganga Ram HospitalYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Anubhav Gupta to be very helpful. Its good to have some knowledge regarding this condition thanks for this
The common male problem in an Aesthetic clinic, Gyanecomastia, is truly Pseudogynaecomastia with only fatty tissue and minimal glandular tissue. The condition is a part of the co existing Obesity disorder and is rarely, a standalone entity. The treatment options shall include an approach to answer the issue of obesity as a whole, not rest contented with surgical removal of the enlarged breasts alone. What is seen and what is treated is just a tip of the iceberg.
Gynaecomastia, an innocuous condition, that affects 35-70% of male population immediately after birth, during adolescence and old age is rarely brought to notice as the sufferer makes all attempts to hide it as the condition brings with it a sense of shame and pain in public places and mental suffering. Herein starts the search for the treatment. Medical and multifaceted surgical options evolved over centuries with the current opinion being fat removal by anyone form of liposuction and the gland removal by direct excision. Gynaecomastia, is increased breast tissue in males composed of glandular and fatty tissue.
Physiological gynaecomastia of puberty that normally regresses with age tend to stay back being sustained by the modern lifestyle changes. Processed foods and environmental pollution of air and water, the cosmetics used on the body like deo odorants, perfumes and toiletries, synthetics and chemicals have contributed to explosions of generalised obesity. With this generalised obesity, the tendency to hold back excess fat in the breast developed. This clearly shows the reason for higher incidence of (pseudo) Gynaecomastia of late. Hormonal imbalance due to reasons stated above, aggravate the situation. Gynaecomastia is part of the generalised obesity and it is more fat and little gland.
However, this condition does not have any harmful effect on the body, but it can cause distress emotionally. Men may lose their self-confidence and they can be psychologically affected by this.
What Causes Gynaecomastia?
It is a type of hormonal imbalance that results in the growth of the male breast tissues. The ratio of oestrogen v/s androgens gets altered and causes the enlargement of the breasts. For this condition to occur, the amount of oestrogen increase in the body, or the amount of testosterone drops. Sometimes it can be the combination of both.
There are certain diseases that may contribute to gynaecomastia and they are as follows:
Drop in testosterone levels
Certain tumours caused in male sex organs such as cancer of the Leydig cells or the Sertoli cells resulting in deprivation of androgen levels
True Gynaecomastia that requires surgical treatment is not so uncommon. What is commonly believed to be gynaecomastia is truly Pseudo gynaecomastia with a co exiting clinical picture of obesity, high BMI, sedentary life and wrong lifestyle. Surgical treatment by laser liposuction under Tumescent Anaesthesia gives very good results with high patient satisfaction and negligible post operative complications. Gland fragmented with laser can be extricated thro’ same entry point without sub areolar incision.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Why cosmetic surgery is necessary for household injuries?
Body Contouring Post Massive Weight Loss
Abdominoplasty, also known as “tummy tuck” is a surgical procedure aimed at removing excessive skin from the abdomen. This surgery removes the extra fat and skin, thus making the abdomen flatter, resulting in tighter muscles near the walls or border of your abdomen. You should consult your doctor and strictly follow prescribed procedures before and after the surgical process. It must not be confused with liposuction i.e. the cosmetic surgery which removes excessive fat deposits in the body.
Abdominoplasty or tummy tuck is beneficial to you,
- If you possess good physical health.
- If you are a non-smoker or have recently quit smoking.
- If you have a stable health and realistic expectations about the outcome of the surgery.
- If you have been pregnant previously and now need to lose weight and fat deposits.
The surgery is not suitable for the following cases:
- If you are planning to get pregnant, then it is recommended to perform the surgery after delivery. This is due to the fact that your muscles can be stretched again after the surgery.
- If the appearance of scars after tummy tuck is a problem, consult your doctor about the scar replacement procedure.
- If you still smoke or are absolutely unable to quit.
There are two procedures of tummy tuck. These are decided by the surgeon during your consultation and some pre-surgery medical tests. The procedures are: a) Complete Abdominoplasty and b) Partial or mini abdominoplasty.
In Complete Abdominoplasty, the surgeon cuts the abdomen from hipbone to hipbone and your skin, tissue and muscle will be operated. In the case of partial or mini abdominoplasty procedure, the fat deposits are usually located below the navel region and the surgeon may not move your belly button. The entire procedure may take around two to three hours.
Proper nutrition and healthy meals are required for this surgery. You must follow a balanced diet and focus on post-operative care.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
How Fat Grafting procedure is beneficial?
Surgical treatment for facial rejuvenation
Having a cosmetic surgery is quite a big deal. It is an expensive surgery, which causes alteration of your body features. Although cosmetic surgeries are usually effective and provide satisfactory results, you should keep several things in mind before a cosmetic surgery. You should know all important facts about cosmetic surgeries, their procedure and results before undertaking one.
Here are the things you should consider and keep in mind:
- Cosmetic surgeries are permanent: You would like the idea of perfecting several features of your body using a cosmetic surgery. However, you must keep in mind that such a surgery is permanent and your features would be altered forever. You should not undergo a cosmetic surgery half-heartedly and must think over and over before finalizing.
- You should know why you are having a surgery: You need to have proper reasons why you want to undergo a cosmetic surgery. You should consider the exact reason why you feel that a cosmetic surgery is required. There are several physical and emotional changes which occur after a surgery and you should be prepared for the same.
- You should know the results you want: Before having a cosmetic surgery, you should know exactly how the results would appear. Having a rough idea will not do and you should know beforehand how you are going to look post-surgery. You must make the doctor understand your requirements and desired results perfectly so that he or she can give the best results. You may use pictures and illustrations to explain your objectives to the surgeon.
- You should know about the outcomes: Knowing about all the possible outcomes of the cosmetic surgery, which you have opted for is very important. For this, you need to surf the internet and do some research. Read from trustworthy medical care websites and also consult people who have had a cosmetic surgery before. You should also keep in mind the consequences which may arise if you do not like the results of a cosmetic surgery and be prepared mentally, in case some complications occur.
- You should choose the best surgeon: Choosing a capable and efficient surgeon is an important thing to do, before thinking of having a cosmetic surgery. You should consider the location, experience and approach, while choosing the right surgeon. You should also make sure that the surgeon is qualified and registered to practice.
A cosmetic surgery is a serious surgery, which will change the way you look in certain ways, depending upon the type of cosmetic surgery you have chosen. Before deciding on having a cosmetic surgery, you should consider the above-mentioned factors and then only go for it.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Ageing gracefully is a matter of taking care of the signs of ageing as they begin their advent over our skin, hair and body. While many people turn to the regular use of cosmetics and creams, there are others who go in for regular visits to the salon for various kinds of facials and other such methods. Yet, there are other long-term and more effective methods of dealing with these signs of ageing that may show up on the skin. With the advent of technology in this matter, we now have cosmetic surgery that can help you in dealing with these signs of ageing.
Let us find out about the brow lift surgery
What is it about
This kind of surgery is usually carried out to correct the sagging skin of the forehead, which may eventually manifest as deep wrinkles. This surgery also takes care of the surrounding area like the eyelids and the eyebrows. It has been seen that many people go in for this kind of surgery when they are getting their nose fixed with a cosmetic procedure.
Procedure of Brow lift
There are two kinds of brow lifts that one can choose from, the classic brow lift and the endoscopic brow lift. While the classic lift involves one long cut that goes from your ear level across your hairline, the endoscopic lift needs a few shorter cuts in the scalp, through which a tiny camera may be inserted for the procedure. This involves better recovery and minimal scarring as well. Before the surgery, you may be asked to limit your use of painkillers, if you happen to take them on a regular basis. The doctor will also ask you make a few lifestyle changes where you need to give up smoking, in case you indulge in the same on a regular basis.
Recovery: After the procedure, you will need to keep plenty of ice on hand so that you may apply the same to bring down the pain and bruising. There will be some amount of redness that you may experience for a few days and weeks as well. The cosmetic surgeon may also prescribe some medicated ointments for application to the incisions. You will also have to keep your head elevated with the use of pillows so that you can recover faster. Also, your doctor will instruct you on how best you can change your bandages at home.
Make up: After a brow lift, you may want to use some amount of makeup to cover up the bruising and redness. Yet, you should stay away from these harsh chemicals and too many layers of makeup in order to, give your skin enough time to recover. A light powder will be sufficient to cover up the bruises and keep your skin comfortable. Use make up only a few weeks after the surgery. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Cosmetic/Plastic Surgeon.
When it comes to a man's physique, enlarged breasts can be quite embarrassing. This is a condition known as gynecomastia or "men boobs" or " enlarged breast in men" and affects more men than you would imagine. It may affect one or both breasts. It can result in terrible embarrassment, teasing, and social trauma. Many will try to hide it with thick loose shirts, avoid bare chest activities like swimming, exercises etc and withdraw from public exposure.Though it does not pose a significant health risk, it can affect a man's psychological health and lower his self-confidence. The good news is that men suffering from this condition do not need to live with it.
- Male breast reduction surgery or gynecomastia surgery, aims at reconfiguring the contours of a man's chest by removing excess breast fat & if needed extra gland tissues. The only permanent solution to this condition is surgery. This is because fat tissues are not solely responsible for enlarged breasts. Often glandular tissue is present in excessive amounts as well. Patients need careful evaluation by Plastic Surgeon & sometimes if needed by endocrinologist to determine the source of their breast enlargement.
- Gynecomastia surgery is usually a daycare procedure. It is performed by Plastic Surgeons under local anesthesia with liposuction being the most preferred procedure. This procedure begins when the surgeon makes a small incision on each side of the chest. These incisions are usually placed along the natural contours of the body, around the edge of the areola or near the armpit so as to reduce the visibility of scars. Excess fat and glandular tissue are then sucked out of this incision. Simultaneously, the surgeon sculpts the other tissues in the chest to redefine chest contours. Patients are usually advised to wear a compression garment after the surgery to support the healing tissues and minimize swelling.
- Results of this procedure are visible almost immediately. Recovery from gynecomastia surgery is usually quick and many men find themselves back to their normal routine within a few days. However, vigorous exercising and heavy lifting should be avoided for a few weeks after the surgery. The patient may also experience slight soreness and minimal pain that can be relieved with over the counter pain killers.
- The results of this procedure are generally permanent if there are no hormonal abnormalities. It is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle and avoid drugs that influence your testosterone levels. Regular exercise can also help tone the chest muscles and maintain the achieved good shape of chest. It is really a very simple but rewarding surgery for the male & it definitely boosts his confidence, body image & self-respect. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Cosmetic/Plastic Surgeon.