Water is the life giving source of the planet and we would do well to remember to have our daily dose of at least seven to eight glasses of water. Besides its many health benefits, water is also a great partner to have in the weight loss process.
Here are the 4 symptoms which show that you are suffering from water deficiency:
A healthy skin can slow down the aging process and prevent skin problems. Diet and exercise are key factors that keep the skin healthy. A healthy skin also has aesthetic benefits apart from being disease resistant.
1. Regular exercise and Hydration: Regular cardio exercises such as jogging and swimming pump the blood that conveys nutrients and oxygen to the skin. Exercise causes loss of water in the body which needs to be replenished. Water keeps the skin healthy and prevents skin problems such as acne and dry skin.
2. Sun protection: Constant exposure to sun rays can cause a host of skin problems such as skin cancer, wrinkles and age spots. The main culprits are the ultraviolet rays of the sun which can cause damage to the skin when it is exposed. Using sunscreen and protective clothing can help protect the skin against UV rays.
3. Intake of antioxidants: Exposure to sun, pollution and other environmental factors give rise to free radicals in the skin. These free radicals damage cells in the skin by oxidation. Foods rich in antioxidants such as fruits and vegetables can limit the damage caused by free radicals.
4. Stress management: Stress can trigger skin sensitivity which causes it to be acne prone. Thus managing stress is beneficial for maintaining a healthy skin.
5. Smoking: Smoking narrows the blood vessels in the skin that deliver oxygen and nutrients. Hence, it should be avoided to stay clear of these problems.
6. Collagen supplements: These collagen supplements, especially in peptide form, considerably reduce wrinkles and will keep your skin firm and resilient.
It has been observed that roughly 3 out of 4 antibacterial bars and soaps contain triclosan which is a certain type of drug previously used in hospital premises. The usage of triclosan in other products like hand wash and gels is yet to be verified and proven safe. Due to lack of proper evaluation, there have been a number of instances where antibacterial soap has done more harm than good. Here are a few reasons why you must reconsider using antibacterial soap:
1. It creates bacterial resistance
Triclosan is closely associated with a number of health issues, bacterial resistance being the chief among them. Repeated usage of antibacterial soap can promote the growth of antibiotic resistant bacteria. It might effectively terminate regular bacteria but it is basically useless against the resistant bacteria. The bacteria resistant formula present in these hand washes might cause complications in the long run.
2. It can potentially disrupt endocrine functions
Triclosan has a close resemblance to the thyroid hormone and hence can tip off its receptor sites. This occurrence can lead to major complications like artificially induced early puberty, fertility issues, obesity and sometimes even cancer. Hence it can be said that antibacterial soaps should be avoided in order to prevent such far reaching side effects.
3. It can cause serious health problems in children
Triclosan present in certain hand wash can adversely affect the development of the immune system in children. At a growing age, children develop natural resistance to certain diseases. Prolonged use of antibacterial hand wash and soap can diminish their exposure to bacteria and obstruct the proper development of their immune system. Therefore it is safer to use normal soaps instead which are as effective and do not contain triclosan.
4. It is extremely harmful for the environment
Prolonged and regular usage of hand wash containing triclosan would in turn increase the amount of this drug that gets flushed through the drainage. Triclosan is generally left untreated in the sewage treatment plants which later enters the water bodies and disrupts the food chain since it primarily affects the growth of algae.
Melanoma is a form of skin cancer that is caused due to many reasons. This condition mainly indicates a severe malfunction of the melanocytes or the melanin producing cells of the body. These cells are responsible for giving you your skin colour, tone and complexion. Usually, a person suffering from melanoma will have many normal and irregular moles as well as melanoma in the eye and digestive tracts too. So, what are the causes of this condition? Read on to find out.
Melanoma should be treated in a proper way by a specialist from the Oncology department.
Many men and women suffer from baldness these days and in order to conceal it, look for options available in the market. Though there are many temporary solutions, the most permanent solution is hair transplantation.
What is Hair Transplantation?
Hair transplantation is broadly achieved by removing grafts/follicles from the back of the head which are more resistant to hormonal changes and placing them in areas of scanty growth or baldness. There are two methods to remove the grafts – Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) and Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE).
In FUT method, a strip of scalp is cut out from the back of the head and is dissected into individual grafts.
FUE method of hair transplantation involves taking the individual follicular units/grafts from the back of the head one by one by cutting around it through a tiny specialised machine and removing them. The process is tedious and takes a few hours but is painless after a few numbing injections are given.
The rest of the procedure remains the same in both techniques. Tiny sites are created using very fine blades and needles in the balding areas after numbing them again with local anaesthetic injections. These grafts are then inserted in the sites on the front of the head or wherever there is hair loss.
Advantages of FUT method
Advantages of FUE method
Both methods involve surgery hence a proper consultation with the surgeon is required who can explain the procedure and its advantages and disadvantages. It takes several hours to perform the surgery and implant hence it is important to block the day out completely and be mentally prepared for it. Most surgeons will want to shave the entire head before embarking on the procedure so make sure that you factor that in.
Post surgery care
It is important to follow post surgery instructions and take good care of the grafts. Swelling of the scalp, face is common for a few days. You will be on antibiotics, steroids, painkillers for a few days and will be asked to use Minoxidil and or Finasteride.
The grafts are wetted with saline repeatedly for a few days after the transplant. Hair is washed with a diluted shampoo the next day in a specific manner without disturbing the grafts. They will eventually fall out after two weeks and the new growth will be seen anywhere between three to six months. In FUT method, post-op wound care of the scar is important and the sutures are removed after a week.
Who should opt for FUT method?
Who should go in for FUE method?