Spikenard, popularly known as jatamansi in India, has been used extensively in Ayurveda for ages. The herb has multiple benefits ranging from skin care, treating bacterial infection, odour removing to anti-inflammatory, laxative, sleep inducing, being good for the uterus among others. Jatamansi is considered to be memory enhancing. It also has relaxing and calming attributes which makes it an important ingredient for various ayurvedic and herbal medicinal products.
Jatamansi is a flowering herb that belongs to the family Valerianaeae. The scientific name of the plant is NARDOSTACHYS JATAMANSI. They grow up to a height of 1 meter. The flowers of this plant are bell shaped and pink in colour. Various herbal medications have got Jatamansi as one of the ingredients. In the ancient times it was used primarily as a skincare product and for maintaining the health and functionality of the female reproductive organ. It has become a hard to obtain ingredient as it has been pushed towards endangerment. The herb is available in the market in the form of roots, oil and powder.
Jatamansi has various nutritional values. It’s manifold benefits are contributed by the presence of a combination of chemicals. The ingredient list consists of actinidine, aristolene, carotene, caralene, clalarenol, coumarin, dihydroazulenes, jatamanshinic acid, nardol, nardostachone, valerianol, valeranal, valeranone, elemol, virolin, angelivin, Oroselol etc
The growing dust, dirt and impurities are taking a toll on our skin. Regular care and adapting protective measures is becoming essential not only for its cosmetic value but also as a medical requirement. Jatamansi is a solution to a range of skin issues. It can treat fungal infections that can breakout on the skin. Dermatitis, a skin condition where the skin itches, crusts are formed and scaling near the ear occurs can be treated with this herb. People suffering from psoriasis too can benefit from jatamansi.
Jatamansi has a very effective anti-bacterial property. Bacteria have been a root casue for many kinds of health issues such as cholera, food poisoning, septic, tetanus etc. the herb works not only on the skin but also eliminates it from the very origin. Applying jatamansi on cuts and bruises is a very good way to prevent infections that can be caused due to bacterial activity on those areas. It is also effective in curing infections in the urinary tract and kidneys.
The essential oil extracted from the parts of the stem of jatamansi that grow below the ground (rhizome) has a very soothing and relaxing smell. This helps a person calm down and lets the nerves relax. The smell does not irritate your senses in anyway.
Constipation manifests into various other kinds of health problems. It is extremely important to have a good and healthy bowel movement to maintain a healthy life. Constipation can be caused due to various reasons such as improper eating habits, stressful lifestyle, sudden change in diet etc. Jatamansi is an effective option to treat constipation. It is a herbal alternative to various forms of synthetic and chemical based laxatives available in the market. Jatamansi should be preferred over these products as it works without affecting the digestive and excretory system. The synthetic products tend to dry the gut as they wash away the mucus lining on it while stimulating the bowel movement.
The biggest advantage of jatamansi is that it is a good sedative. Sleep helps us to regain our lost energy and the lack of it has an adverse effect on our body as well as the mind. Nerve related problems such as convulsion, headache, vertigo and psychological issues like insomnia, depression, anxiety, and stress all affect your sleep. These can be reduced by the consumption of medicines containing jatamansi in proper dosage. It also helps sooth cardiac problems like palpitation and restlessness.
Jatamansi is of great help to maintain your uterine health. It has anti-spasmodic properties that helps reduce cramps, pain and discomfort during menstrual flow. Menopause can be a physically and emotionally tormenting experience for many women. While some women have it naturally after a certain age, other may stop menstruating following surgeries like hysterectomy. This change in the body is followed by various psychological as well as physiological problems. Jatamansi acts as a solution to the aftermath of menopause. Symptoms such as mood swings, sleep disturbance, dizziness, fatigue, headaches, difficulty in concentration can be treated with this herb.
The modern urban society is plagued by hypertension. It is a lifestyle disorder that is affecting a major portion of the population. Stressful lifestyles, irregular food habits, sleep disorders, smoking and pollution are all adding to the negative impact on health and majorly on the heart. Jatamansi has been proved work miracles in reducing blood pressure. It works to optimise the functioning of the heart and regulates the heart rate. It helps to prevent any alterations in the lipid profile and further benefits the heart. Predominantly jatamansi regulates the circulation of blood in the body and deals with any problems that hinder the process. This lets regulate the blood pressure and treat both hypertension and hypotension.
Jatamansi is used mainly as a medicinal alternative to treat a wide range of health problems. Issues related to the nerve, heart, skin, digestive system can all be treated with the help of this herb. It can be used to dye hair black naturally. It also makes hair smooth and shiny. Its relaxant quality soothes the body and the mind and is good for inducing sleep. It helps reduce hyperactivity among children. Jatamansi is also used to manufacture perfumes.
Consuming jatamansi in excess may cause adverse effects on the body. As it has laxative properties, consuming in large quantities may cause loose stool. The dosage should always be regulated and as per prescriptions. Nausea and vomiting is often accompanied with having more than prescribed dose of the herb and its products. Frequent urination and abdominal cramps can also occur. Some people may be allergic to the constituent chemicals of jatamansi. It is extremely important to go through the constituent list of the herb before consuming it. If an allergic person consumes even a minimal quantity of the product, he may have reaction. Pregnant and lactating women should avoid consumption of jatamansi and products containing it as it induces menstrual discharge.
NARDOSTACHYS JATAMANSI is a native of the magnificent Himalayas. This herb was traditionally used for skin care and maintaining uterine health. Later its manifold health benefit was discovered and it is now used widely in Ayurveda and Unani. Jatamansi grows predominantly in Kumaon, eastern and central Himalayas, The portion of the range shared between China and India, Sikkim as well as in Nepal and Bhutan.
Thyroid conditions are conditions that affect the thyroid gland which is a butterfly-shaped gland in the front of the neck. Thyroid conditions have become a common ailment among most women in India nowadays. Because of hormonal imbalances a number of symptoms, including anorexia, unhealthy weight gain, loss of energy, weakness and fatigue are experienced or opposite symptoms like an increased metabolic activity, a rise in pulse rate, loss of weight and palpitation may be felt in the case of hypothyroidism.
Irrespective of whether you are suffering from hyperthyroid or hypothyroid, Ayurvedic treatment has some viable solutions that are aimed at elevating your health condition.
Ayurveda and Thyroid
Ayurveda explains a disease named 'Galaganda' that is caused due to an imbalance of doshas and symptoms of these are similar to Thyroid. Thyroid imbalance can be controlled by the following treatment regimen that includes:
All Ayurvedic treatments have their roots in hundreds of years of research and thus are extensive. The philosophy followed by these treatments is that every human being in governed by three doshas of forces - vata (air), pitta (fire) and kapha (earth). Depending on the force that is in highest proportion in an individual, all his psychological and physical attributes are determined. Hair loss is attributed to the pitta dosha which is concentrates on metabolism and digestion. The various methods to treat premature loss of hair, according to Ayurvedic principles are:
What happens when you are addicted to a chemical substance? You lose control of your life. It doesn t matter what you are addicted to alcohol, nicotine or drugs the effects are the same. It is usually not easy to get rid of an alcohol and/or nicotine addiction. Most people find it difficult to give up these substances even after years in de-addiction therapy. Hence, it s prudent to let Ayurveda, the ancient science of healing handhold us in getting rid of addictions.
Cigarette smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals, including 43 known cancer-causing (carcinogenic) compounds and 400 other toxins. These cigarette ingredients include nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide, as well as formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, arsenic, and DDT. Perhaps this list of ingredients that are found in cigarettes is enough to make you want to quit smoking for good! - Lowell Kleinman, M.D., and Deborah Messina-Kleinman, M.P.H?
Addiction - The Ayurvedic View
Ayurveda considers alcohol and nicotine consumed in large quantities as Visha or toxic. According to Ayurveda, alcohol has the following properties-
These properties are all opposite to the qualities that ojas possesses. Ojas has all life-giving properties and alcohol and nicotine have life-negating qualities.
Why do humans get addicted to alcohol and nicotine?
Human brain produces Dopamine normally and what alcohol does is to activate the nervous system to promote dopamine formation. The brain thus remembers the taste of alcohol and nicotine by creating special cells called receptor cells. As a person increases the quantity of alcohol, these cells also increase in numbers. When the person wants to give up his addictions these receptor cells agitate and create withdrawal symptoms with unpleasant and even dangerous symptoms.
De-addiction - Ayurveda Way
De-addiction treatments in Ayurveda comprise the following:
Purification therapies or Panchkarma: These are used for getting rid of all toxins present in the patient s body. These must always be done under the supervision of an ayurvedacharya as they are quite potent. After Panchakarma, the patient is given vomiting therapy or Vamana, followed by purgative therapy or Virechana, Basti or enema therapy and administration of Nasya or nasal drops therapy. All these help in detoxifying the body and mind and prepare the patient for further de-addiction ayurvedic treatments like Rasayana therapies which nourish and strengthen the body after Panchkarma. For treatment of addictions, Rasayana treatments include changes in diet and use of oral herbal medicines both.
Herbal medicines used in de-addiction: A range of herbal medicines and their combinations are used in the treatment of addictive problems in Ayurveda and these are to be consumed orally. Ayurveda prescribes Chamomile and Ashwagandha in combination to heal the lungs. These help in cleansing lungs of smoke- related problems. Doctors also prescribe congestion relieving herbs like ginger and pepper mixed with honey or lemon.
In addition, herbs to improve memory, concentration and to fight depression are also given. These are:
In addition, herbs to treat sleep disturbances like Jatamansi, Sarpgandha, Brahmi and Jaiphal are also prescribed. Since most addicts have impaired liver function, herbs that improve liver function like Aloe Vera, Punarnava, Long pepper, Kutki, Tulsi are given to revive the liver. Take advice of an ayurvedic doctor for de addiction. Don't follow any remedies without guideline of ayurvedic docttor. Consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Thyroid has become a common ailment among most women in India nowadays. It is triggered due to the presence of impurities in the blood, which lead to hormonal imbalances and therefore, a number of symptoms, including anorexia, unhealthy weight gain, loss of energy, weakness and fatigue are experienced. But in case of hyperthyroid, you will notice an increased metabolic activity, a rise in pulse rate, loss of weight and palpitation.
Irrespective of whether you are suffering from hyperthyroid or hypothyroid, Ayurvedic treatment has some viable solutions that are aimed at elevating your health condition.
Ayurveda and Thyroid--
Though there is no direct mention of thyroid in the Ayurvedic texts, there are major implications that hint towards a disease like thyroid that is caused due to imbalance of body fluid and its probable treatments. Thyroid imbalance can be controlled by the following treatment regimen that includes:
1. Dietary regulations: As per Charaka, thyroid doesn’t affect those individuals who take milk in adequate quantities. In addition, you must take moong seeds, bengal gram seeds, sugarcane, cucumber, barley and old rice in optimum amounts for prevention of thyroid. In case you are already suffering from thyroid imbalance, then you must also aim at having a considerable amount of milk on a regular basis.
2. Herbs for regulating thyroid: The herb named Purple Mountain Ebony is purposely helpful in the treatment as well as proper functioning of the thyroid gland. In addition to this herb, you must also intake Punarnava, Brahmi, Jatamansi, Gokshura and Shilajita for alleviating your thyroid problems.
3. Home remedies: If there is swelling in any part of the body caused due to thyroid imbalances, then it can be properly treated by applying a fine paste of Jalakumbhi over the affected area. The juice of this paste can be administered in a small quantity of 22 grams in a span of 24 hours. It helps to increase the amount of iodine in the body which helps to fix various problems in the body. If you are experiencing a lack of energy and weakness, you can use coconut oil for boosting the sluggish metabolism of the body.
4. Yoga for treating thyroid: There are various Yogic postures, which are believed to help in the maintenance of the thyroid gland. You can practice sun salutation, fish pose and shoulder stand for alleviating your condition and get rid of all types of health issues caused from thyroid imbalances.
If you wish to get a personalised evaluation of your health condition, then it is imperative to pay a visit to an expert who can recommend proper Ayurvedic treatment methods for you.
धरती पर पाए जाने वाले तमाम औषधियों गुणों वाले पौधों में जटामांसी से होने वाले फायदे भी महत्वपूर्ण हैं. जटामांसी का का नाम अलग-अलग जगहों पर अलग-अलग है; जैसे कि गुजराती में जटामांसी या बालछड़, तेलगू में जटामांही, पहाडी क्षेत्रों में भूतकेश आदि नाम प्रचलित हैं. किसी साधू की जटाओं जैसी दिखने वाली रोयेंदार तने और तेज महक समाहित किए जड़ वाली जटामांसी के तने व जड़ का प्रयोग दवा के रूप में करते हैं. फायदे तो इसके बहुत सारे हैं लेकिन ठीक से इस्तेमाल न करें तो इसके नुकसान भी खूब हैं. इसलिए आइए जटामांसी के इस्तेमाल से होने वाले फायदों और इसकी सीमाओं को समझें.
जटामांसी के फायदे निम्लिखित हैं-
1. मेनोपॉज और मासिक धर्म के समय: महिलाओं के मेनोपॉज और मासिक धर्म के समय जटामांसी काफी फायदेमंद साबित होता है. मेनोपॉज के समय तो यह विशेष रूप से मददगार साबित होता है. वहीं मासिक धर्म के दौरान होने वाले कष्ट से छुटकारा पाने के लिए आप जटामांसी का काढ़ा पी सकती हैं.
2. शर्बत के रूप में: जटामांसी के फायदे इसके बने शर्बत में भी नजर आता है. इसके साथ ही ये आपके शरीर से जमे हुए काफ को भी निकालने में मदद करता है.
3. मस्तिष्क और नाड़ी विकार में: जटामांसी के लाभ हमारे मस्तिष्क और नाड़ियों के रोगों में भी हमारी मदद करते हैं. हलांकि इसके काम करने की गति थोड़ी धीमी होती है लेकिन असरदार भरपूर होती है.
4. मनोविकारों में: कई तरह के मनोविकारों जैसे कि पागलपन, हिस्टीरिया, मिर्गी, मन बेचैन होना, याददाश्त कम होना आदि रोगों में भी जटामांसी के फायदों से हम रोग के प्रभाव से हम मुक्त होते हैं.
5. आँखों के लिए: यदि हम जटामांसी के काढ़े को रोज पियें तो इससे आँखों की रौशनी बढ़ती है. इस तरह से ये आँखों के लिए फायदेमंद साबित होता है.
6. चमड़े के विकारों में: चर्म रोग तथा सोरायसिस जैसे रोगों में भी इसका लेप लगाने से काफी फायदा मिलता है. इससे हम चमड़े की कई समस्याओं से निजात पा सकते हैं.
7. दन्त विकारों में: दांतों में होने वाले दर्द को मिटाने के लिए जटामांसी के महीन पिसे हुए पाउडर से मंजन कीजिए निश्चित रूप से राहत मिलेगा.
8. दर्द निवारक के रूप में: जटामांसी का उपयोग आप दर्द निवारक के रूप में भी कर सकते हैं. आपके शरीर के जिस हिस्से में दर्द है वहां पर इसे पानी में पीस कर इसका लेप लगाएं.
9. अन्य रोगों में: जटामांसी को खाने या पीने से मूत्रनली, पाचननली, श्वसनली, गले, हैजा आदि के रोग ठीक होते हैं.
10. पेट के लिए: पेट फूलने में भी जटामांसी को सिरके में पीसा हुआ नमक मिलाकर लेप करने से पेट का सूजन कम होकर पेट सपाट होता है.
जटामांसी के ये निम्नलिखित नुकसान भी हैं-
1. मासिक धर्म: महिलाओं के मासिक धर्म के दौरान इसका ज्यादा मात्रा में इस्तेमाल करने से समस्या हो सकती है.
2. गर्भावस्था के दौरान: गर्भवती महिलाओं को जटामांसी के नुकसान से बचने के लिए इस दौरान जटामांसी के इस्तेमाल से बचना चाहिए. इसके साथ ही महिलाओं को स्तनपान कराने के दौरान भी जटामांसी का इस्तेमाल रोक देना चाहिए.
3. ज्यादा इस्तेमाल से: सामान्य तौर पर भी अधिकतम इस्तेमाल से या इसका ज्यादा मात्रा में सेवन करने से जटामांसी के नुकसान मसलन पेट दर्द की समस्याएं उत्पन्न हो सकती हैं.
4. रक्तचाप में: जिन लोगों को उच्च रक्तचाप की समस्या है उन्हें इसके इस्तेमाल से पहले अपने डॉक्टर से सलाह अवश्य लेना चाहिए. ऐसा नहीं करने से आपको एलर्जी जैसी समस्याओं का सामना करना पड़ सकता है.
5. अनावश्यक इस्तेमाल से: अनावश्यक रूप से जटामांसी का ज्यादा इस्तेमाल करने पर आपको उल्टी और दस्त जैसी समस्याओं का सामना करना पड़ सकता है.