What is the remedy about?
High blood pressure can be considered as a serious health condition that may lead to a stroke, heart attack or a kidney failure. The common causes for high BP are an excessive intake of salt, obesity, too much of drinking, stress, kidney disease and genetic factors. You can effectively control your BP with the help of these home remedies:
- Lemons, a rich source of vitamin C, can help you decrease your chances of having a heart failure. Also, it helps to keep the blood vessels in your body soft and flexible. When the rigidity is gone, your high BP will also be reduced. Every morning, squeeze one-half of a lemon in a glass of lukewarm water and drink it regularly on an empty stomach. It is better if you do not add sugar or salt to the mixture.
- The seeds of watermelon contain a compound that is known as cucurbocitrin, which aids in widening your blood capillaries and improves the functioning of the kidneys. This would, in turn, reduce the level of your blood pressure. Grind a few watermelon seeds that have been dried with some poppy seeds. Consume a small spoon of the mixture once early in the morning, on an empty stomach and once in the evening. Continue having it on a regular basis.
- Garlic can efficiently help in relaxing the blood vessels as it can stimulate hydrogen sulphide and nitric oxide production. These compounds help to promote the flow of blood, remove gas and also reduce the pressure on your heart. Take 1 or 2 peeled garlic cloves, crush them and eat it in the morning on a regular basis.
- Coconut water helps to lower your blood pressure. Being rich in vitamin C, potassium and magnesium, it helps in decreasing systolic blood pressure. You can drink coconut water regularly and use coconut oil for cooking purposes.
Are there any side effects?
The possible side-effects of these remedies could be:
- Consuming too much of lemon water can erode your tooth enamel due to its high acidity content. It could also make your teeth sensitive, especially when you are having food that is hot or cold. Apart from this, the acid present in lemon water can also cause a stomach upset if consumed in a large amount.
- Consuming raw garlic can cause bad breath as well as body odour. It can also be the reason for nausea, gas, diarrhea, vomiting, heartburn or a feeling of burning sensation in your mouth or in the throat. In case you have undergone or are scheduled to undergo a surgery, consuming garlic and cause prolonged bleeding.
- When you drink coconut water, you are also consuming sodium. Too much of sodium content can increase your risk of having stomach cancer.
What are the post-remedy guidelines?
The post remedy guidelines include:
- It is advisable not to lead a sedentary lifestyle. There should be some amount of physical activity that you need to be involved in.
- Maintain a diet that includes a lot of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and dairy products that are low on fat.
- Avoid having salt as much as possible. You can add it in your cooked food in small amounts, but try having it as less as possible in its raw form.
- Limit the amount of alcohol that you are consuming.
- Quit smoking.
- Do not stress yourself. Take out time to relax and do things that you genuinely enjoy.
- You can monitor your blood pressure at home.
How long does it take to recover?
With proper diet and practicing the home remedies on a regular basis, your high blood pressure can be lowered within 3 weeks. For some people, it may take even less, maybe 5-7 days. A majority of it depends on the changes that you bring in your lifestyle and diet.
Are the results of the remedy permanent?
You cannot cure blood pressure permanently, but you can definitely lower it and keep it under control by practising the home remedies, along with adopting a healthy way of living. For a more serious condition, you may need to consult a doctor and take medications.
Is there any training or experts required?
All the mentioned home remedies are easily available in the market for you, and there is no special training required for practising any of them. However, if you have a medical history of any condition or allergy, you can consult your doctor before using them for your treatment.