Dry white flakes of skin, on your scalp, is known as dandruff.
• It is not a health risk but is a source of embarrassment.
• Some people have the wrong notion that it is because of bad hygiene or washing the hair often - this is a false belief. It is just that people having dandruff shed more skin then others.
• However, some dermatologists suggest that is caused by a yeast fungus that is believed to breed in a combination of sebaceous oil and dead skin cells.
|• A family history of dandruff.
• Excessive sweating of the scalp.
• Excessive mental and physical stress.
• Use of alkaline soaps.
• Cold dry winter season.
• Psoriasis of the scalp.
• Seborrhoeic dermatitis.
• Improper carbohydrate and sugar consumption.
• Nutrient deficiencies – B-complex, essential fatty acids, selenium.
|SIGN AND SYMPTOMS:|
|• Flakes of skin which may be small and white or large greasy and yellow.
• Itching on scalp, eyebrows, nose or ears.
• It can be worse in winters.
• Avoid fatty and oily food.
• Avoid dairy products (except yoghurt) – cheese, cottage cheese and seafood.
• Avoid sugar, white flour and chocolate
• Avoid excess alcohol.
• Avoid stress.
• Even though dandruff is dry flaking skin do not normally apply excessive oil as it may provide an environment for yeast to breed.
|• Add one teaspoon of vinegar to the rinsing water after washing your hair.
• Before washing your hair, apply a mixture of 8 tablespoons of pure organic peanut oil and 2 tablespoon lemon juice and massage into the scalp. Leave it for 10-15 minutes then shampoo.
• You can replace oil with coconut milk or coconut water; leave it overnight and shampoo.
• Wash hair with natural, herbal ingredients rather than chemical – take a mixture of amla (Indian goose berri) powder, aritha (sapindus Laurifotius) powder and shikakai (Acacia Concinna) powder, soak it in water over night and wash hair with the mixture.
• Practice yoga helps in relieving stress and will increase blood circulation.
• Natural live yoghurt is recommended as a natural conditioner.
• Avoid harsh hair dyes and hair creams.
• Softly massage your scalp when you shampoo or oil. This will help blood circulation and prevent skin from drying and cracking.
• Drink plenty of water.