Weight Management Counseling
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Nadi Pariksha Treatment
Treatment of Menstrual Disorders In Adolescent Gir
Memory Improvement Techniques
Treatment Of Lumbago
Asthma Treatment & Management
Asthma Management Program
Treatment of Disc Prolapse
Acne / Pimples Treatment
Ayurvedic Massage Treatment
Kerala Massage Treatment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Submit a review for Sukh AyurvedaYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Dr. Ruchi Gulati provides answers that are knowledgeable. I have taken Ayurveda medicine but it also make some side effects like disturbing periods and fluctuations in BP. Ayurveda doesn't suites to me, I have tried it 4 time.
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Ruchi Gulati to be knowledgeable, very helpful, well-reasoned and practical. Excellent
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Ruchi Gulati to be very helpful. Thanks you madam
Cervical spondylosis is a common degenerative condition of the cervical spine. It is most likely caused by age-related wear and tear affecting vertebral bones, joints and discs of the neck. As discs age, they fragment, lose water and becomes stiff. Body reacts towards it and develop bony growth i.e. osteophytes. These bony growths put pressure on spinal nerves causing symptoms of the disease. According to Ayurveda this is called Grivasandhigat vata. It is aggravated by vitiated vata and ama. Ama is undigested food in a toxin form and it blocks micro channels of the body due to its viscosity and thus causing accumulation of vata dosha in the neck region by blocking the channels of neck.
- Repeated motion injury in metro cities mainly Computer related . These can be worsened by bad posture and sitting for extended periods of time.
- Familial cases have been reported; a genetic cause is possible.
- Smoking also may be a risk factor.
- Ayurveda views exposure to cold, indigestion , prolonged sitting in inappropriate posture also as aggravating factor
- Intermittent neck and shoulder pain is the most common symptom seen.
- The neck pain experienced with cervical spondylosis is often accompanied by stiffness, with radiation into the shoulders or back of head that may be chronic or episodic with long periods of remission.
- One third of patients with cervical spondylosis present with headache, and greater than two thirds present with unilateral or bilateral shoulder pain. A significant amount of these patients also present with arm, forearm, and/or hand pain.
- Greater than one third of patients with cervical spondylysis have anxious or depressed moods related to their decreased mobility.
Management of Cervical Spondylosis at Sukhayurveda
1) Sukhayurveda Detox therapies for Cervical Spondylosis
We at Sukhayurveda not only cure disease by medicines only but also give internal purification by various ayurvedic panchkarma therapies. For Cervical Spondylosis we provide abhyangam full body massage, grivavasti, potali massage, medicated oil enema and therapeutic purgation. Oil enema and therapeutic purgation have a major impact on it as it is a vata disorder and large intestine is the place of natural vata. Moreover it also cleans aam from the intestines. We at Sukhayurveda provide special programmes for Computer related injuries.
SukhAyurveda Detox Therapies address the problem of toxin accumulation by systematically:
- Loosening impurities that have become embedded in tissues and helping in liquiefying them for easy absorption into the circulation and eventual elimination.
- Softening and opening the channels of circulation and elimination so proper nourishment can reach the tissues and impurities can be more easily eliminated from them.
- Activating the elimination process for the most thorough cleansing of the entire physiology.
The risks of computer related injuries can be reduced or eliminated with proper posture, practical tips, Yogic exercises and Ayurvedic therapies.
2) Proper Nutrition
SukhAyurveda Consultant provides detailed understanding of which foods to favor and avoid for your condition. Avoid foods that are hard-to-digest (like milk, caffeine, pulses like kidney bean, etc) clogging to the physiology and aggravating to the doshas (functioning modes) that are already imbalanced in you. Favor foods that are easy-to-digest, nourishing, cleanse the physiology, strengthening digestion.
3) Creating Strong Digestion
Our ability to properly digest food is as important as what specific food we eat. Incompletely digested foods create toxins and impurities that are eventually absorbed, travel throughout the physiology, localize in tissues and disrupt their functioning. This process plays a major role in Cervical Spondylosis. SukhAyurveda Consultant provides recommendations for strengthening digestion including information in the following areas:
- Proper use of spices and cooking oils.
- Herbal preparations for improving digestion.
- Important differences between breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- A simple system to determine a balanced diet.
- Digestion-enhancing foods to favor.
- Digestion-depressing foods to reduce..
- Proper food combinations to avoid indigestion.
- Non-dietary regiments to improve digestive strength including exercise, specific Yoga asanas and breathing techniques.
4) Ayurveda herbs
Their purpose is to restore balance to the doshas (specific functioning modes) whose malfunctioning is causing your condition. SukhAyurveda Consultant selects the appropriate herbal formulas for improving the function of your body. Traditional Ayurveda theory says that herbs are most effective after a person completes a Detox program. To improve digestion trikatu, chitrak are best drugs to be used. Gugulu, rasna, ashavgandha, nirgundi etc are the main drus used for relieving pain.The cleansing and rejuvenation treatments are the main focus at SukhAyurveda. Once cleansing program is finished, maximum benefits are achieved from herbal program.
5) Stress Management
Excessive mental, emotional and physical stress can worsen the symptoms of Cervical Spondylosis. Stress causes headache and worsens neck pain and stiffness.Enhancing the body's ability to recover from stress is an integral part of our approach to health and well-being. The following programs help reverse the body's response to stress.
- Yoga asana, Pranayam, Meditation
- Sukhayurveda Office stress programmes.
- De-stress Ayurvedic Massages like shirodhara, takardhara, Ksheeradhara, Abhyangam or pizhichil.
6) Lifestyle and Daily Routine
One of the most important factors for maintaining healthy functioning is to have a lifestyle that does not disturb natural bodily rhythms. When we eat, sleep and exercise in constantly fluctuating and disturbing patterns, the body loses its natural balancing cycles and cannot cleanse or heal itself as effectively. These all lifestyle disturbances can be prevented by simple measures provided by Sukhayurveda.
SukhAyurveda Consultants reviews daily routine and creates a daily schedule that will increase balance in physiology and aid in healing of the body.
Instruction in body mechanics focuses on low-load concepts. These include avoiding forward bending and rotation of the neck, avoiding prolonged extension of the neck, avoiding prolonged sitting or standing, and selecting the proper chair.
SukhAyurveda considers Yoga as a non-dietary regiment to improve digestive strength, circulation, nervous system function, the body's healing response.We offer Yoga classes every day and teach simple but profound set of postures that you can practice daily. Exercises designed for cervical pain include isometric neck strengthening routines, neck and shoulder stretching and flexibility exercises, back strengthening exercises, and aerobic exercises.
Pranayam , Meditation are also advised for their psychosomatic benefits of restful alertness in mind and body.
8) Strengthening the Body's Natural Healing and Self-Repair Mechanisms
We at Sukhayrveda not only cure disease but also boost one’s inner capacity to fight with diseases.The healing response is one of the most complex and coordinated activities within the human physiology and often cannot be strengthened significantly without a comprehensive natural approach
Taking together, all the SukhAyurveda programs described above, aim to create the ideal mental, physical and behavioral environment for healing.
My vitamin d is just 6.03 and total cholesterol is 228. Hdl is 39 and ldl is 148. Triglycerides is 216. My creatinine value is 1.03 and blood urea nitrogen is 6.79. Uric acid is 7.1whereas calcium is 10.06 and sodium is 141. My bun/sr. creatinine ratio is 6.59. Is my kidney damaged? What should I do to keep normal my kidney levels? And what about cholesterol and vit d deficiency?
Sudden stomach pain after gaps of months! why does he get so? (unable to eat properly n goes through terrible stomach pain for few days upto 1 week and then normal) is there any thing serious to be worried about? Need a nutritional diet as he do not like medications!
I am suffering from dry cough for the last 2 weeks and I have chest pain whenever I cough hard. Can you suggest what should be done?
I'm 27 years old. I have fibroadenoma in left breast. And I have lump in forearm near elbow in left hand. Is it dangerous? What test I have to do further? Please answer me.
I have sensitive body. From many months I'm facing heat ,weakness & fever after every meal. Is it gerd? This acid is spreading to whole stomach and back area, it's from chest to abdomen and back. I'm also unable to sleep or I have to lie on back What is the final solution as I have already taken treatment from many doctors and according to them this is acidity. I have become helpless. My digestive system is hurting me emotionally and mentally too .Is there possible treatment or I have to bear it till the second & last stage. Please provide positive view on it. Is it a serious issue. What else can be done?
Hello Doc, Doc from last 2 months when I go to bed I feel a nausea of 2-3 seconds only. It happens only once in 8-10 days. Except it I have not problem as like headache or anything else .Doc ,please tell me what is this?
I am 15 year old and I want to become a runner. So at that age if we start running daily then what will be affect on height. Running will increase or decrease the height or no effect.
Sir, Is mass gainer is effective and benefits of mass gainer is original supplement are helpful or dangerous.
Psoriasis is an inflammatory disorder that affects the skin and nails. It is marked by patches of thick, red skin covered with silvery scales that occur primarily on the elbows, knees, lower back and scalp. Although not life-threatening, it can be painful and cause psychological and emotional distress.
Psoriasis occurs when the immune system mistakes the skin cells as a pathogen, and sends out faulty signals that speed up the growth cycle of skin cells.
Causes of Psoriasis According To Ayurveda
Acharya Charak has described the involvement of vata and kapha in ekkushtha or psoriasis. Accumulation of toxins or ama could also lead to this diseased condition.
- Viruddha Aahar (Opposite diet or contradictory foods) and Mithya Ahara (Improper Diet): Excessive intake of yogurt, seafoods, salty foods, black gram and sour foods, spicy foods, fermented foods, menda (fine flour), and bakery products, junk foods and fast foods, refrigerated and cold foods may contribute to psoriasis.
- Mithya Vihara (Improper Life style): An irregular lifestyle disrupts the digestive process and creates imbalance in the doshas.
- Adrista Hetu (Unknown Cause)
- Excessive Physical and Mental Stress
Risk factors for Psoriasis
- Family history. Perhaps the most significant risk factor for psoriasis is having a family history of the disease. About 40 percent of people with psoriasis have a family member with the disease, although this may be an underestimate.
- Viral and bacterial infections. People with HIV are more likely to develop psoriasis than people with healthy immune systems. Children and young adults with recurring infections, particularly strep throat, also may be at increased risk.
- Stress. Because stress can impact the immune system, high stress levels may increase the risk of psoriasis.
- Obesity. Excess weight increases the risk of inverse psoriasis. In addition, plaques associated with all types of psoriasis often develop in skin creases and folds.
- Smoking. Smoking tobacco not only increases the risk of psoriasis but also may increase the severity of the disease. Smoking may also play a role in the initial development of the disease.
Complications of Psoriasis
Depending on the type and location of the psoriasis and how widespread the disease is, psoriasis can cause complications. These include:
- Thickened skin and bacterial skin infections caused by scratching in an attempt to relieve severe itching
- Fluid and electrolyte imbalance in the case of severe pustular psoriasis
- Low self-esteem
- Social isolation
If one has psoriasis, he or she is at greater risk of developing certain diseases such as metabolic syndrome, a cluster of conditions that include high blood pressure and elevated insulin levels; inflammatory bowel disease; cardiovascular disease and, possibly cancer.
In addition, psoriatic arthritis can be debilitating and painful, making it difficult to go about one’s daily routine. Despite medications, psoriatic arthritis can cause joint damage. Genetic factors play some role, but environmental factors also contribute to disease susceptibility.
Ayurveda and Psoriasis
According to traditional Ayurveda, the vitiation of Vata and Kapha causes psoriasis. As per ayurvedic principles, Vata and Kapha are the two basic energies that uphold the balance of our body equilibrium. Strong genetic predisposition, sun deprivation, and intense streptococcal infection on the upper respiratory tract can badly aggravate psoriasis. As per ayurveda, these conditions are strong enough to create several visible pathological changes that take place are mainly due to the accumulation of dooshi vishas or low potency poisons.
Psoriasis can be effectively treated through panchakarma therapies, which include ayurvedic treatment methods for the complete detoxification of the body, and successful elimination of harmful toxins from the body fluids.
A few health tips for psoriasis patients:
- Maintain safer distance from the possible variables that cause or aggravate psoriasis
- Practice yoga regularly. Yoga can lessen the intensity of psoriasis.
- Avoid pricking, peeling or scratching your skin.
- Make sure to pat your skin dry after washing, and avoid rubbing vigorously with towel or any rough cloth.
- Avoid artificial cleansers and use gram flour (besan flour) instead.
- Use cotton clothes
- Avoid cold water bath or immediate cleaning up right after heavy work-out, long walks, or travel.
- Avoid food stuffs that can cause indigestion.
- Avoid excessive salty and acidic food stuffs, radish, urad dal, sesame, jaggery (gur), curds, fish and other sour food stuffs that can trigger psoriasis.
Panchkarma Treatment for Psoriasis
With the aim of better control on Psoriasis, Ayurveda also has a specific schedule comprised of various Panchkarma treatment aspects that includes purely herbal originated internal and external medications. A Rough idea of this complete Panchkarma treatment is as follows:
- Consumption of medicated ghee, considering the Dosha type of the Psoriasis and the person, for 7 to 10 days.
- Vaman & Virechan – is done by inducing vomiting (Vamana) and purgation (Virechana)
- Shirodhara – The above detoxification is followed by medicated Oil or Buttermilk dripping overhead (Shirodhara) and pasting the entire body with a paste of medicines and mud.
- Vasties (medicated enemas) – these are being done for 8-10 days and internal medicines like herbal formulations, herbal concoctions and medicated ghee need to be consumed for at least 120 to 180 days.
A strict diet regime need to be followed during the entire treatment period and it is better to continue as vegetarian diet. Non Veg, Alcohols and salted thing have to be restricted. It is better to avoid junk food also. Psoriatic must keep a state of mental calmness.
Join me Feb 25 10:30am IST for your quieries related to Ayurvedic consultation and treatments , as i Share educational series on #Ayurvedaon #Community #Radio 91.2MHZ. You can also join by calling toll free no 18001802543
U may ask queries relating to ur lifestyle or disease on this platform
It is necessary that you detoxify your body after regular intervals because with detoxification, you not just remove the dangerous toxins from your body but also increase the vitality of your body.
In Ayurveda, all natural ingredients are used for detoxification. Ayurveda works wonders in cleansing the blood by removing impurities and toxins, accumulated in various organs of the body such as the liver, intestines, kidneys, lymphatic system, lungs and skin. It is equally effective in case of both healthy and unhealthy individuals. While the unhealthy person gets rid of the chronic diseases, the healthy person becomes fit enough to prevent diseases and stay physically and mentally fit.
- Panchakarma: Panchakarma is Ayurveda's primary purification and detoxification treatment. Panchakarma means "five therapies". These 5 therapeutic treatments eliminate toxins from the body, they are: Vamana, Virechana, Nasya, Basti and Raktamoskshana. The series of these five therapies help remove deep rooted stress and illness-causing toxins from the body while balancing the doshas (energies that govern all biological functions).
- Nasya: Nasya or nasal administration is a procedure of cleaning the accumulated Kapha from the head and neck region. At first, the face, head and chest is massaged thoroughly using certain herbal oil which promotes perspiration. The excess mucus accumulated in the throat, sinus and head is drained out through the nearest opening- the nose. This treatment helps in treating sinusitis, headaches, migraine, Rhinitis, facial palsy, paralysis, insomnia, frozen shoulder and neurological dysfunctions. It is also effective in improving eyesight and memory.
- Abhyanga: It is a combination of long strokes and synchronized soothing that helps in re-storing balance, harmony and composure in the body. Your body is massaged with oil in seven different positions and the type of oil is chosen based on the body equilibrium. It stimulates healing at a micro-cellular level as the oils get absorbed in the intra-follicular and intra-dermal layers of the skin. It helps you to steer clear of tiredness and enhances immunity and sleep. It cures psychological imbalances and fosters flexibility in the joints and muscles, thus rendering softness to the skin glands.
- Shirodhara: In this therapy, warm medicated oil is continuously poured on your forehead for about 30 to 45 minutes followed by a 15 to 20 minutes Abhyanga massage. Depending on your body type, milk, oil, buttermilk or herbal decoctions are used to boost up the therapeutic effect of the treatment. It provides deep relaxation to your central nervous system and rejuvenates it. Shirodhara oil regulates the functioning of your hormonal system too, eliminating ailments such as high blood pressure, migraine, anxiety and headaches. Medicated buttermilk massage treatment helps treat diabetes while medicated milk serves as a good remedy to insomnia as well.
- Kati Vasti: This is a form of sudation therapy (procedure to induce sweat without the use of heat) that helps to ease lower back pain caused due to inter-vertebral inflammation. Vasti is two types Niruha vast that is vasti with medicated decotion and other is Anuvasana vasti that is vasti with medicated oil. Like other therapy vasti has also pretherapeutic and post therapeutic technique. Pretherapeutic includes snehana lubrication internally and externally and also swedana sweat therapy.these poorvakarma help in loosening and liquefying the toxins accumulated in cells and get collected in colon. After the application of herbal medicines this toxins collected in colon is eliminated out.
- Basti (Enema or Colonic Irrigation): The term 'Basti' stands for a pouch or bag. The procedure involves introducing ayurvedic liquid and herbal concoctions made of oils and milk through the perineum or anus or the vaginal opening in women in order to cleanse and heal the lower part of the body and remove the toxins accumulated in this part through the colon and urinary tract. Basti is considered as the mother of all Panchakarma treatments. It cleanses the accumulated toxins from all the 3 doshas : Vata, Pitta and Kapha, through the colon. Basti is also highly beneficial as a rejuvenating treatment. Medicated oil or ghee and an herbal decoction is given as enema to clean the colon and increase the muscle tone. This treatment is provided for several days, based on the medical condition of a person. It provides treatment for: For Hemiplegia, Paraplegia, Colitis, Convalescence, Cervical Spondylosis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Constipation, Digestive disorders, Backache & Sciatica, Hepatomegaly & Splenomegaly, Obesity, Piles, Sexual Debility & Infertility.
It is always better to practice these under the advice of an expert ayurveda practitioner.
Is your partner pestering you to lose weight? Is constant fatigue and weakness a common complaint of yours? If yes, then it is time to knock those extra pounds off. Besides raising your self-esteem up by a few notches, it will also keep you fitter and healthier. Ayurveda is an age-old system of medicine that is holistic, natural and free from side-effects, unlike conventional treatment methods. Here are some tips that you may employ to keep your waist slick:
- Eat Healthy: Eating healthy does not only mean avoiding junk food; it also includes picking the right kind of healthy foods. So eat a well-balanced diet comprising of a mix of carbohydrates, fats and protein. Include plenty of vegetables in your diet as they contain little calories and are filled with antioxidants, which prevent free radical damage. Stay away from junk food as they contain hidden sugar and fats that could wreak havoc on your waistline.
- Get Moving: If you think exercise could be the last thing, prepare a new list wherein exercise enjoys the utmost priority. You can start your day with a 20 minute jog which will not only keep the kilos off but also improve your mood. Aim for 30-40 minutes of light exercise every day to burn the extra calories. If you have a sedentary job, then take frequent breaks to move about.
- Limit Liquor Consumption: Excessive consumption of alcoholic drinks, such as beer takes a toll on your waistline. It contains empty calories that are easily converted into fats by the body. So if you are going drinking with your friends, remember not to drink like a fish.
- Combat Stress: Stress can add to your weight as it can induce binge eating in some people. Practice relaxation techniques, such as meditation to bring down stress levels. You can also practice simple breathing techniques (pranayama and other breathing asanas) to help you relax.
Types of Ayurvedic Massages For Losing Weight
Ayurveda is a vast field and there are several techniques that are followed for Ayurvedic massage. It helps to burn excess fat and removes cellulite from under the layers of the skin.
Udvartana - It is the most widely used technique for toning and weight loss. This technique involves the combination of certain prescribed herbal powders along with oil and it is applied to the body. This technique helps build body strength along with accelerating fat loss. The trademark of this massage technique involves some specific movements and each session is recommended to continue for a span of about 45 minutes every day for visible results.
Advantages of Udvartana:
- Improves complexion and makes the skin look fairer
- Helps to burn unwanted excess fat and breaks down cellulite
- You will see reduction in body odour
- If you get a general feeling of heaviness, then this massage technique is recommended for you
- Circulation in the skin is improved
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda and ask a free question.
Ayurveda emphasis that a disciplined diet and exercise plan can help lower ldl and improve hdl.
Here are a few time tested strategies that you may adopt to bring total cholesterol lower and keep it that way
1. Walking 2 miles in 30 minutes 3 times a week constitutes a moderate level of aerobic exercise. That may be enough to raise your hdl cholesterol by 1 to 3 points (higher is better) and lower your ldl cholesterol (lower is better).
If you can't get in a 30-minute block of exercise all at once, do a few minutes of exercise here and there throughout the day (climb the stairs at work, walk around the block on your lunch break, park and walk). Researchers have demonstrated that exercise even without weight loss can have a positive impact on improving cholesterol levels. It is the amount of activity, and not necessarily any changes in fitness or intensity of exercise that is important for cholesterol improvement and decreasing the risk factors for heart disease and stroke.
2. Do deep breathing exercise for 10 min daily. It helps refresh your system and is an effective distress technique too.
3. Drink 6-8 glasses of water daily
4. Quit smoking. Smoking lowers hdl cholesterol levels and increases the tendency for blood to clot
5. Avoid alcohol.
6. Start your day with fresh fruits and high soluble fibre grain such as oats
7. Eat plenty of vegetables, esp green leafy vegetables, fruits and whole pulses. Certain foods really do have health benefits for controlling cholesterol and overall heart health beyond providing basic nutrition.
Fish or fish oil
Green leafy vegetables
Oranges or orange juice
Fiber oats/oat bran/oatmeal
8 take enough good fat in food, don't avoid fat. Sesame oil, olive oil, rape seed oil are healthy.
9. Garlic- one or two cloves before your breakfast is beneficial in boosting hdl
Turmeric and curry leaves can be used as spices in various foods.
Isabgol (psyllium husk) at bedtime is also beneficial in boosting hdl
10. Arjuna, guggulu can be added as medication on ayurvedic physician advice
The ncep national cholesterol education program has recommended a therapeutic lifestyle-change diet, which should be incorporated in the treatment of all patients. The following are recommendations:
Patients should reduce their intake of saturated fats to less than 7% of their total calorie (energy) intake. Their cholesterol intake should be reduced to less than 200 mg/d. Trans fatty acids (the hdl-lowering, ldl-raising fats) should be kept to a minimum. Polyunsaturated fats should constitute up to 10% of total energy intake, and monounsaturated fats, up to 20% of total energy intake. Total fat intake, therefore, should be in the range of 25-35% of total energy intake.
Carbohydrates (complex carbohydrates from grains, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables) should constitute 50-60% of total energy intake.
Patients should consume 20-30 g/d of fiber.
The protein content should be approximately 15% of total energy intake.
In order to maintain a desirable body weight and to prevent weight gain, the total amount of energy consumed must be balanced in terms of energy intake and expenditure.
I drink once a week, usually high end scotch and upto quarter of a 750 ml bottle. My age is 31. No issues as such, no hangover. Should I take any herbal medicine or tonic or capsules just to ensure my drinking habits don't impact my lever or any other system of body. What kind of foods would be advisable to improve lever and digestive system?
I am not having sleep now a days. What to do. I am trying to sleep but could hardly sleep 4-5 hours.
I was taking treatment for Chronic Telogen Effluvium for the past 4 months and still there is no visible results. The hairfall haven't ceased. Now my trichologist suggested to opt either laser combing or stem cell micro needling, are those treatments beneficial? What are the possible side effects of these treatments?
Mosquitoes, though tiny, can wreak havoc on the human health. Malaria and dengue were common enough, but now another disease doing the rounds is chikungunya. This is a viral disease that spreads by the bites of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes. The disease lasts for 5 to 7 days and the catch is that there is no identified cure for the disease.
Symptoms of chikungunya are very non-indicative and include high temperature, rashes and multiple spots on the body, multiple joint pains, headaches, conjunctivitis and insomnia problem. The presence of joint pains associated with a high incidence of mosquito breeding is indicative of chikungunya. The fever usually subsides in a couple of days, but the other symptoms would persist for about a week.
Management of chikungunya includes a combination of prevention and treatment. Prevention is more important than treatment as it is easier done.
- To the maximum extent possible, avoid mosquito bites.
- Avoid using rain water-filled containers, potted plants that stagnate water and drinking bowls for domestic animals.
- Wear full-sleeved clothing when mosquito bites are likely to be higher.
- Use mosquito repellents in the forms of coils, creams, and mats
- Use mosquito nets where possible
- Prevent mosquito breeding by draining possible areas of water stagnation
Treatment: There is no specific allopathic remedy for the treatment of chikungunya. The prescribed medicines are only for symptomatic relief, and given the intense and prolonged joint pains, the patient ends up using a lot of pain killers. There are cases where the pains may persist for up to 6 months. This is where Ayurveda comes into the picture, as there are multiple effective remedies that have been proven effective over the ages.
- Massage your joints with a mixture of castor oil, drumstick, camphor, garlic, and coconut oil. This oil can be heated and stored in a glass jar for about 3 days. Warm this oil and use it for effective relief of the joint pains.
- A mixture of castor oil and cinnamon can also be used to massage the painful joints.
- A concoction of ajwain seeds, raisins or dry grapes, tulsi leaves, and neem leaves boiled in water is an effective remedy for the joint pains. This is to be used when it is warm after food and the residual ingredients chewed upon.
- A diet rich in fresh fruits, greens and vegetables is highly recommended.
- Drinking sufficient amounts of liquids (water, coconut water, lime juice, and buttermilk) to keep good hydration levels and recuperate from the illness.
- Ensure sufficient rest for the joints even after the initial fever has subsided.
Ayurveda has references to something called “sandhijwara” which is “fever of the joints”. Sandhijwara is very similar to chikungunya and these remedies used for this can be very useful in treating chikungunya. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.