If you feel you are grossly underweight
and not gaining weight
, first of all you have to check if you have any disease like anaemia or thyroid disease by a blood tests CBC
, PBS and TSH
. If the tests are normal, you have to do this for gaining weight and follow these steps .1) Estimate your calorie needs for weight gain. First, you need to determine your total energy expenditure (TEE
). For thin men, multiply your weight in pounds by 11, and for thin women, multiply your weight in pounds by 10. Then multiply this number by an activity factor. If you get very little activity, use a factor of 1.3; if you get a little exercise or have a job that requires standing, use 1.6 if you're a man and 1.5 if you're a woman
; or if you are moderately active, such as with a light labour job, use an activity factor of 1.7 if you're male and 1.6 if you're female. Once you've determined your TEE, add 500 to this number for your total calorie needs for weight gain.
2) Eat five to six small meals a day. Eating smaller meals more often helps prevent you from getting too full, which might help you get in more calories and help you reach your weight-gain goals.
3) Balance your intake. Even though you need to eat more calories to help you fill out, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics says it's still important that you include a variety of foods from all the food groups, including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, protein
foods and dairy products.
4) Add calories to your usual foods. For example, at breakfast make your oatmeal with milk
instead of water; add cheese and avocado
to your sandwich at lunch; and instead of steaming your veggies at dinner, sauté them in olive oil.
5) Snack on high-calorie foods. Fruit and nut
mixes, peanut butter on whole-wheat toast, cheese and crackers are all nutrient-rich, high-calorie snack options that can help you gain weight.
6) Drink your calories -- but in a nutritious way. While water is good for hydration, when you want to gain weight it's better to drink beverages that supply calories. Milk and 100 percent fruit juice make the healthiest drink choices. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics also suggests that you drink your fluids in between meals so that it doesn't affect your appetite during mealtimes.
7) The most important
gist of the weight gain programme is to Keep a food diary or use an online
calorie tracker to help make sure you are meeting your calorie needs.
Add non-fat dried milk powder to your milk, soup, yogurt, mashed potatoes and hot cereal. A 1/4-cup serving of the powder adds 109 calories and 11 grams of protein.
To help make sure you gain muscle and not fat, add strength training to your exercise routine.