Serdep 50 MG Tablet
Serdep 50 MG Tablet is used for treating obsessive compulsive disorder, major depressive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, panic disorder, social anxiety disorder and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (feeling of depression and irritability before menstruation).
Belonging to the drug group of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), the medication helps to increase the serotonin amount (a natural substance) in the brain that maintains the mental health. This improves the symptoms of anxiety and depression.
The dosage of Serdep 50 MG Tablet will depend on your age, your health condition, the problem you are suffering from, and the way your body reacts to the first dose. You can take the medicine as prescribed by your doctor, with or without food. Generally, the capsule form of this medicine is taken along with food after breakfast or the evening meal.
Your doctor must be informed if you have a medical history of bleeding, liver problems, thyroid disease, seizure disorder or a family medical history of glaucoma (eye disorder). Also if you are pregnant, planning for pregnancy or a breastfeeding mother, your doctor must have prior knowledge about the same before prescribing the medication as it may affect the baby.
Serdep 50 MG Tablet can have some common side effects like drowsiness, dizziness, nausea, upset stomach, trouble sleeping, loss of appetite and excessive sweating. You can consult your doctor if these conditions persist or even get worse. However, you must inform your doctor immediately if you face any of the following serious side effects:
- Unusual weight loss
- Redness, swelling or pain in the eyes, widened pupils or blurred vision
- Stiff or twitching muscles and muscle tremors
- Black stools accompanied with blood
- Lack of coordination, restlessness, hallucinations or seizures
As Serdep 50 MG Tablet can make you feel drowsy or dizzy, it is better to avoid activities that require your concentration like driving until you are sure how your body reacts to the initial doses. Try to avoid alcohol as it can increase your sleepiness and affect your ability to think and perform clearly.
Monoamine oxidase inhibitors
How long is the duration of effect?
The duration of activity of Serdep 50 MG Tablet lasts upto 2 days to 3 days.
What is the onset of action?
The action of Serdep 50 MG Tablet starts within 4.5 hours to 8.5 hours of administration.
Are there any pregnancy warnings?
Serdep 50 MG Tablet must not be used during pregnancy.
Is it habit forming?
Serdep 50 MG Tablet is not addictive.
Are there any breast-feeding warnings?
Serdep 50 MG Tablet must not be administered to lactating mothers as it passes out through breast milk.
Is It safe with alcohol?
Serdep 50 MG Tablet reduces mental awareness when used with alcohol.
Is it safe to drive while on this medicine?
Serdep 50 MG Tablet may reduce the ability to drive properly as it induces drowsiness.
Does this affect kidney function?This medicine is found to be safe if prescribed in patients with kidney disease. Adjustment of dose may no be needed. Kindly consult your doctor before taking to this medication.
Does this affect liver function?Caution must be taken in patient with liver disease. Adjustment of dose might be needed. Kindly consult your doctor before taking this medication.
Below is the list of medicines, which have the same composition, strength and form as Serdep 50 MG Tablet , and hence can be used as its substitute.
Are there any missed dose instructions?
A missed dose of Serdep 50 MG Tablet must be skipped if it is time for the next dose. Otherwise, you can make up for the missed dose.
Are there any overdose instructions?
Overdose of Serdep 50 MG Tablet may increase the side effects of using the medicine and cause rapid pulse rate, severe drowsiness, confusion, vomiting, hallucinations, convulsions, and fainting. Get medical help promptly.
Serdep 50 MG Tablet is a selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor. It works by inhibiting the uptake of serotonin thus increasing its levels in the brain and helps in relieving the symptoms of depression.
Whenever you take more than one medicine, or mix it with certain foods or beverages, you"re at risk of a drug interaction.
Interaction with Alcohol
Serdep 50 MG Tablet increases drowsiness and confusion when used with alcohol.
Interaction with Lab Test
Interaction with Medicine
- CYP3A3/4 enzyme substrate, CYP2D6 enzyme substrate (minor); CYP1A2 and 2D6 enzyme inhibitor (weak); CYP2C19 and 3A3/4 enzyme inhibitor.
- Dexfenfluramine, fenfluramine, and sibutramine in combination with an SSRI may result in serotonin syndrome; these combinations should generally be avoided.
- SSRIs in combination with selegiline have resulted in mania and hypertension; these combinations are best avoided.
- SSRIs in combination with nonselective MAO inhibitors have resulted in severe or fatal reactions; these combinations should be avoided.
- Serdep 50 MG Tablet may increase the hypoprothrombinemia response to warfarin; monitor.
Interaction with Food
Serdep 50 MG Tablet does not interact with food
Interaction with Disease
- Use caution in patients with depression, particularly if suicidal risk may be present.
- Use caution in patients with a previous seizure disorder or condition predisposing to seizures such as brain damage, alcoholism, or concurrent therapy with other drugs which lower the seizure threshold.
- Use with caution in patients with hepatic or dysfunction and in elderly patients.
- May cause hyponatremia/SIADH. Use with caution in patients with renal insufficiency or other concurrent illness (due to limited experience).
- Serdep 50 MG Tablet acts as a mild uricosuric - use with caution in patients at risk of uric acid nephropathy.
- Use with caution in patients at risk of bleeding or receiving anticoagulant therapy - may cause impairment in platelet aggregation.
- Use with caution in patients where weight loss is undesirable.
- May cause or exacerbate sexual dysfunction.
Ques: What is Serdep 50 MG Tablet?
Ques: What is the use of Serdep 50 MG Tablet?
Ques: What are the side effects of Serdep 50 MG Tablet?
Ques: Can Serdep 50 MG Tablet be used for depression and premenstrual dysphoric disorder?
Ques: How long do I need to use Serdep 50 MG Tablet before I see improvement of my conditions?
Ques: At what frequency do I need to use Serdep 50 MG Tablet?
Ques: Should I use Serdep 50 MG Tablet Empty Stomach, before food or after food?
Ques: What are the instructions for storage and disposal of Serdep 50 MG Tablet?
Sertraline- Drug Information Portal [Internet]. druginfo.nlm.nih.gov. 2019 [Cited 26 April 2019]. Available from:https://druginfo.nlm.nih.gov/drugportal/name/sertraline
Lustral 50mg film coated tablets- EMC [Internet]. www.medicines.org.uk. 2018 [Cited 26 April 2019]. Available from:https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1070/smpc
Sertraline: Uses, Side Effects, Dosage- Drugs Bank [Internet]. drugsbanks.com. 2018 [Cited 25 April 2019]. Available from:https://www.drugsbanks.com/sertraline/
Lybrate is a medium to provide our audience with the common information on medicines and does not guarantee its accuracy or exhaustiveness. Even if there is no mention of a warning for any drug or combination, it never means that we are claiming that the drug or combination is safe for consumption without any proper consultation with an expert.
Lybrate does not take responsibility for any aspect of medicines or treatments. If you have any doubts about your medication, we strongly recommend you to see a doctor immediately.