Renal hypertension is hypertension or increased blood pressure in the artery that supplies blood to the kidney. The high blood pressure in the renal artery is the result of deposition of plaque on the inner walls of the artery. Due to this deposition, the arteries become hard and the channel through which blood flows narrows down significantly. This causes the kidneys to function abnormally. As the kidneys receive less blood flow, they perceive it as dehydration and therefore, they release hormones that trigger water and sodium retention by the body. This results in filling up of the blood vessels with more fluid, thereby increasing blood pressure.
So, the treatment of renal hypertension would require treating hypertension or blood pressure of the whole body. Given are 5 foods that can help you manage renal hypertension:
1. Low-fat milk and yogurt Low-fat milk or skim milk is very healthy for heart and is rich in calcium. Blood pressure is significantly lowered by regular consumption of sugar free yogurt and skim milk. You can also have fruits, nuts or muesli, mixed with yogurt for a healthy breakfast.
2. Green leafy vegetables Green leafy vegetables are always very healthy for the body. They are rich in potassium which helps in removing excess sodium from the body. Vegetables like spinach, lettuce, green onions, beet greens, turnip greens, broccoli, green beans, squash etc. should be a part of your regular diet if you are seeking optimum health.
3. Fish with omega-3 fatty acid like Salmon, Tuna Omega-3 fatty acids are responsible for lowering blood pressure, triglycerides and inflammation. There are fish like trout that is rich in vitamin D which also lowers blood pressure. Apart from vitamins and fatty acids, tuna is also rich in antioxidants, protein and minerals like selenium, magnesium, potassium and iron.
4. Ashwagandha Ashwagandha is a medicinal herb that is used for its beneficial effects on the body, such as lowering blood pressure, reducing stress and anxiety, reducing hypertension and blood pressure. Ashwagandha has also been reported to have anti-cancer properties and has been successful in treating cancer in colon, lungs, ovaries, brain or breasts. A few studies have proved that ashwagandha has been able to reduce some of the symptoms of depression too.
5. Oatmeal Oatmeal is a grain that is rich in soluble and insoluble fibre, protein, nutrients like magnesium, zinc, iron, selenium and phosphorous. It is quite beneficial in reducing cholesterol levels in the blood and thereby reduces the blood pressure level.