Get help from best doctors, anonymously
Common Specialities
Common Issues
Common Treatments

Respected doctor, I am 32 years old man. I have been diagnosed with high cholesterol (total cholesterol -260)(ldl-121) and triglycerides-440. Please suggest the medicine and dosage.

2 Doctors Answered
At present you should first begin with lifestyle changes like -daily exercise like brisk walking for 40 mins, quitting smoking and drinking and eating a healthy heart diet (take a detailed diet consult for that), if you are overweight use diet and exercise to loose weight as well. Consult a cardiologist for baseline cardiac evaluation. Repeat tests after following these precautions for 8 weeks if cholesterol is still high you will need medications as well.
Lipid profile is not very helpful test. If your triglyceride is high, your diet is poor. Triglycerides are manufactured in liver from water soluble food stuffs like alcohol sugar jaggery and starchy foods. You need a balanced diet and exercise, not lipid measurements.
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.