Radish Greens - You Will Never Throw Them Away After Reading This!
While you may not consume 10 large radishes in a single sitting, a 100-gram portion serves a good nutritional value. Radish is an excellent source of vitamin C - 25% of the daily recommended value and helps in rebuilding of tissues, blood vessels and will keep your teeth and bones very strong. Vitamin C fights disease, increasing the immunity of your body, and helping to fight against all types of diseases, including stroke, heart disease, and cancer.
Radish is also known as 'Raphanus raphanistrum', can be eaten raw (in salads) or can be used in the preparation of different cuisines. While many people trash away radish greens, they are actually one of the best parts of this root vegetable. Although they are not among those classic leafy green vegetables, Radish greens are packed with some lesser known but important nutrients that can fill out a healthy diet.
Radish greens are an excellent source of vitamins (such as - riboflavin, thiamine, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, folate, C, E, K), minerals (like - iron, calcium, phosphorus, sodium, copper, potassium, manganese, magnesium), protein, and dietary fiber.
What Are Radish Greens?
Radish greens are the green leaves on top of the radish itself. These radish greens have an earthen, peppery taste, making them a nutritional addition to any salad. Besides, they can also be used in sandwiches or salted for a healthy side dish. So, if you are among those countless people who just trash the radish greens away, change your ways and include this new food in your diet. Read on to know more about the benefits-
Let us get a quick look at the various benefits that radish greens have to offer:
- The Radish leaves have antibacterial properties that go a long way to treat the condition of piles. For maximum results, crush the radish leaves, preferably the dry leaves to a fine powder, add sugar and water to it, mix well (make a paste) and consume daily. Alternately, one can also apply the paste at the inflamed area for some relief.
- The radish leaves are laden with iron and Vitamin C and can work wonders for people with iron deficiency, low hemoglobin level, extreme weakness, and fatigue.
- The high phosphorous content of radish leaves makes it vital for boosting the immune system.
- Radish leaves are a rich source of dietary fiber and are also known for their natural laxative and diuretic properties (contain Vitamin B6) taking care of conditions such as constipation and kidney stones or gallbladder stones respectively.
- Not known to many, but the radish leaves serve as an excellent remedy for Hyperbilirubinemia (increased level of bilirubin in the blood) triggered by a condition known as Jaundice.
- The radish leaves play a significant role in regulating the blood glucose level and are highly recommended for diabetic patients.
- The radish leaves are packed with many vital and essential nutrients and serves as a natural detoxifying agent, cleansing the body of the harmful toxins. The detoxification goes a long way to keep the body (both physical and mental) hale and hearty.
- The application of a paste comprising of radish leaves, sugar, (take both in equal quantity) and water on the knee joints work wonders to alleviate the pain and discomfort triggered by Rheumatism.
- The radish leaves have antiseptic properties and act as a natural moisturizer. Thus, the radish leaves take care of a myriad of skin problems such as dry and chapped skin, rashes, to name a few.
- The consumption of radish leaves provides relief from colds and other respiratory infections and discomfort.
- The flavonoids Anthocyanins present in radish leaves minimizes the risk of various heart ailments and cardiovascular disorders by many folds.
- The radish leaves are also known for their anticarcinogenic and anti-inflammatory properties and play an instrumental role to ward off many health conditions including cancer.
How to use radish greens for Jaundice treatment
- Crush radish leaves and extract the juice using a muslin cloth
- Consume 1/2 liter of this juice for 10 days
This is helpful in improving your condition of jaundice and hyperbilirubinemia. With so many health benefits, it would be foolish to exclude radish leaves from the diet.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Also Read: Know the Benefits of Fast and Up Multivitamins Tablets