Health Benefits of Lychee And Its Side Effects
Last Updated: Dec 06, 2022
Lychee is a tropical fruit that is sweet and juicy in taste. It is a unique fruit with many health advantages. It helps in boosting the immune system. It not only tastes good but also keeps the body healthy. This unique fruit aids in managing weight. Additionally, it lowers blood pressure, strengthens bones, enhances digestion, and prevents cancer.
What is Lychee?
Lychee is the only member of the genus Litchi in the soapberry family, Sapindaceae.Its scientific name is Litchi chinensis. It is a tall evergreen tree and bears small fleshy fruits. The outside of the fruit is pink-red, roughly textured, and inedible. The interior of the covering is a sweet flesh eaten in many different dessert dishes.
Nutritional Value of Lychee
Lychee is packed with health benefits. Let's check out nutritional facts about Lychee fruit., various vitamins, minerals, and nutrients present in this fruit. It includes vitamin C, vitamin B6, niacin, riboflavin, folate, copper, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and manganese.
Further, lychee fruit is an important source of dietary fiber, protein, and a good source of proanthocyanidins and polyphenolic compounds.
Nutritional facts Per 100 grams in Lychee
Vitamins and Minerals in Lychee
Health Benefits of Lychee
Mentioned below are the best health benefits of Lychee. You can consume and use Lychee in different ways. You can make delicious Lychee juice or you can consume tea containing Lychee ingredients. Not only Lychee fruit but also Lychee seeds, leaves, and nut are good for your health.
Benefits of lychee for digestion
Lychee has numerous benefits to offer, like-
- Aids in bulking up the stool
- Maintains digestive health
- Increases the speed of food passing
- Ensures good bone and heart health
- Helps to avoid constipation and other gastrointestinal issues
Summary - Lychees are very beneficial in numerous ways. From improving the digestion process to keeping constipation at bay, Lychees are healthy for your body.
Lychee benefits for immune system
Lychees help to improve our immune system in the following ways:
- Lychees are effective in boosting our immune system because they contain vitamin C.
- It has some water-soluble vitamins and antioxidants that help to defend our bodies against invasions of foreign germs and other related issues.
- Lychee juice boosts defences against common illnesses like the flu, cold, and cough.
Summary- Lychees are loaded with nutrients and antioxidants that help in giving a boost to the immune system.
Lychee effective against cancer
The polyphenolic compounds and proanthocyanidins found in lychee are even more effective than vitamin C in neutralizing free radicals and protecting the body from various diseases and afflictions. The antioxidants and flavonoids present in lychee have anticancer effects, effective specially against breast cancer.
Lychee Has Antiviral Property
The proanthocyanidins in lychee have demonstrated antiviral properties. The presence of oligonol and Litchitannin A2, a compound found in lychee, assist in preventing the spread or outbreak of viruses, including herpes simplex virus and coxsackie virus.
Lychee Controls Blood Pressure
Litchis carry balanced potassium and sodium levels and this is necessary for maintaining proper blood pressure of the body.
Besides, the vasodilatory properties of potassium present in lychee enable it to soothe and relax the blood vessels in the body, leading to the controlled hypertension. Lychee has been shown to reduce bad cholesterol (LDL) and increase good cholesterol (HDL) levels in the blood.
Lychee Has Anti-influenza Activity
The phenolic compound found in lychee has anti-influenza activity.The presence of oligonol stops the virus from multiplying and thus prevents fluw, cough and cold.
Lychee Improves Blood Circulation
Litchis have been found to help in proper blood circulation throughout our body, thus ensuring the smooth functioning of organs and organ systems. Copper is another essential mineral found in considerable quantities in lychee and forms an integral part of RBC formation. Thus, the copper content in lychee can enhance blood circulation and increase oxygenation of the organs and cells.
Lychee Prevent Blood Vessel Rupture
Lychee Provide Instant Energy
Litchi is rich in vitamin C. It plays an important role in the production of collagen and carnitine that are required to break down fat. This fat break down provides us with instant energy.
Benefits of Lychee for Skin
The amazing benefits of lychee for the skin are:
- Lychees are rich in Vitamin C which helps to provide good texture and tone to our skin
- It helps to prevent the process of ageing
- Protects skin from harmful UV rays
Summary- Lychees contain Vitamin C which is very beneficial for our skin. It also helps in enhancing skin texture.
Benefits of Lychee for Hair
Lychees play a pivotal role in keeping hair healthy.
- Lychees prevent hair loss
- It also helps in the process of hair regrowth
- It improves blood circulation in the scalp
Summary- Lychees are a rich source of Vitamin C that keeps hair strong and healthy.
Uses of Lychee
Lychee is known for its taste and medicinal properties. The uses of this tropical fruit are many.
- Lychee offers amazing benefits to our skin and hair
- It averts the process of skin ageing and removes blemishes
- It gives a protective shield to our skin from harmful UV rays and minimizes sunburns
- It also helps in hair growth and makes hair shinier
Side-Effects & Allergies of Lychee
- Lychees have a high sugar content that can be harmful to diabetic people
- Give rise to allergic reactions in some people
- It can cause internal bleeding, fever and many other troubles
- Lychees should not be consumed by expectant mothers as they can harm the unborn child by causing infections and bleeding
Summary- Lychees can lead to hormonal imbalance, fever, haemorrhage, internal bleeding and infections. So consult the doctor if you have been suffering from any illness.
Cultivation of Lychee
This fruit originated in China,native to the Guangdong and Fujian provinces of China. Today it is grownin India,Thailand, Vietnam other countries in Southeast Asia, the Indian Subcontinent, South Africa,Brazil, the Caribbean, Australia and the United States. These tropical plants require a tropical climate that is frost-free, not below −4 °C (25 °F), and with high summer heat, rainfall, and humidity. Growth is best on well-drained, slightly acidic soils rich in organic matter and mulch.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How many lychees should I eat a day?
Is lychee good for weight loss?
What does lychee do for your hair?
Can I eat lychee at night?
Is lychee good for diabetics?
- Menzel CM, Simpson DR. Lychee nutrition: a review. Scientia Horticulturae. 1987 May 1;31(3-4):195-224. [Cited 27 June 2019]. Available from:
- Kilari EK, Putta S. Biological and phytopharmacological descriptions of Litchi chinensis. Pharmacognosy reviews. 2016 Jan;10(19):60. [Cited 27 June 2019]. Available from:
- Ibrahim SR, Mohamed GA. Litchi chinensis: medicinal uses, phytochemistry, and pharmacology. Journal of ethnopharmacology. 2015 Nov 4;174:492-513. [Cited 27 June 2019]. Available from:
Table of content
Ask a free question
Get FREE multiple opinions from Doctors