What is a Ketogenic Diet?
Ketogenic diet is high fat and a low carb diet which is very useful and offers many benefits to the health. It helps people lose weight and also improves health. Ketogenic diet help fight against diabetes, cancer, and Alzheimer disease.
This type of diet has been in existence for a number of years and was first introduced in 1924. Initially the diet was known to effectively treat epilepsy. But as alternative medication became more effective, the diet has since been known to help reduce weight and increase body performance.
This kind of diet is similar to the Atkins diet as well as the low carb high fat diet, but the main difference lies in the fact that while protein restrictions are practiced in case of the Keto diet, protein intake is allowed in case of the other two types.
This type of diet helps in Ketosis. Thus, as an individual adapts to the ketogenic diet, his body tends to reach the required ketone level (tiny fuel molecules produced in the body), which will then help lose weight and improve physical as well as mental health.
Ketones are known to be alternative forms of fuel, which are used by the body when the levels of blood sugar are less. Produced in the liver, these molecules are made from fat. Thus, the body starts using fat to run, resulting in excess fat loss and the consequent weight loss as well.
Mention Different Types of Ketogenic Diets?
Following are the various types of keto diet:
- Standard keto diet (SKD): This diet includes food like butter, ghee, avocado fatty fish, meat, olives or olive oil. Diet must include 150 gms of fat per day so as to increase the metabolism. This also means that one must stick to the green-leafy vegetables, non-starchy vegetables and fruits with low carbohydrates, protein should also be eaten moderately that is about 90 gms a day.
- Targeted keto diet (TKD): This diet is popular among athletes and sportsperson. But is changes a bit and includes additional 20-30 grams of carbohydrates before and after a workout. It provides higher intensity during exercise and enhanced recovery. The diet includes fruits grain-based food or sports nutrition food.
- Cyclical keto diet (CKD): This diet is cyclical and it is eaten for 5 days a week and 2 days normal diet. If you want the best result in this then eat carbohydrate-rich food on your off days which include dairy products, starchy veggies, fruits, and whole grains. If you don't want to take off every week then you can save it for your special occasions like birthdays or wedding
- High-protein keto diet: This plan involves high protein diet for about 120 grams per day and eating fat for about 130 grams per day. But carbohydrates are restricted and only be taken 10% or less. High-protein keto diets are most helpful in losing weight.
Who needs a Ketogenic diet?
A person who wants to lose weight in a healthy way and want to remain fit can start ketogenic diet.
Who is not eligible for the treatment?
This type of diet is great for individuals who have diabetes, especially those diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. But before starting the diet, one has to ensure that he is not on any diabetes medication and is taking in low doses of insulin. The diet is great for those with blood pressure issues too, but one should consult the doctor before starting the diet. The diet should be avoided during the period of breastfeeding.
What is the best diet plan for a ketogenic diet?
Here is the best one-week diet plan for ketogenic diet:
|One-week diet plan for ketogenic diet
||A crambled or fried egg with butter and sauteed green veggies
||A burger with cheese, mushroom and avocado topped with greens or beef salad with green veggies
||Chicken pasta or pork chops with green veggies sauteed in coconut oil.
||Cheese rolls or mushroom omelette
||Tuna salad with celery and tomato or Caprese omelette
||Roasted chicken with broccoli and cream sauce or meat pie
||Bell peppers with cheese and eggs stuffed in or frittata with fresh spinach
||Arugula salad with hard-boiled eggs or chicken soup
||Carbonara or grilled salmon with spinach
||Full-fat yogurt with keto granola or dairy-free keto latte
||A full bowl of steak with rice, cauliflower, cheese, herbs, avocado
||Keto-pizza or cheesy broccoli with bison steak.
||Baked avocado with eggs or mushroom omelet
||Caesar salad with chicken or keto-smoked salmon
||Pork chops along with veggies or tortilla with ground beef and salsa
||Cauliflower with cheese and avocado or keti beccan omelet
||Salmon burgers topped with pesto or keto quesadillas
||Meatballs with zucchini noodles and parmesan cheese or Asian cabbage stir fry
||Coconut milk chia pudding or keto pancakes with berries + whipped cream
||Italian keto plate
||Coconut chicken curry
What are the side effects of keto diet?
A Ketogenic diet can lead to dehydration and lower vitamins in the body. Thus, it may lead to side effects like-
- Cramps: Very common especially during the initially days of the diet.
- Constipation: Occurs due to the lack of fiber content in the food. Vegetables which are high in fiber should be consumed.
- Heart palpitations- A very common side effect of this diet; it generally stops after the first few days.
- Physical performance decreases- This is also temporary because the body starts adapting to the new diet plan. You will gain energy gradually but steadily.
- Consumption of lots of water and food that contains micronutrients will help get rid of the above side effects.
- Excessive thrust
- Frequent urination
Best Foods to avoid on a ketogenic diet:
Food that is to be avoided in keto diet are as follows:
- Low fat dairy products
- Beans, peas, lentils
- Grains which include rice, oatmeal and pasta
- Added sugar
- Sugary beverages like juice and soda
- Snacks like potato chips, crackers and pretzels
- Fruits accept lemon, lime, tomatoes
- Starchy vegetables like peas, potato, corn
- Alcohols, beers, wine
Best Foods to eat on a ketogenic diet:
Food that should be eaten on keto diet are:
- Seafood: Fish and seafood are best food for having a keto-friendly diet and fish are rich in vitamin B, potassium and selenium and they are virtually carb-free.
- Low-carb vegetables: Vegetables, which are non-starchy and low in carbs and calories but which are rich in vitamin C and nutrients are suitable for keto diet.
- Cheese: It is one of the most common foods which are included in keto diet as it is low in carbohydrates and high in fat.
- Avocados: It is very healthy food and is rich in vitamins, minerals, and potassium. Avocado also improve cholesterol level in the body. Avocado contains only 2 grams of carbs thus they can be eaten in keto diet.
- Meat: This is one of the staple diet for people who are on keto diet as fresh meat and poultry have low carbohydrates.
- Eggs: It is one of the versatile foods and is considered healthy for every diet. Egg has only 1 gram of carbohydrates thus it is an ideal food for ketogenic diet.
- Olive oil: It is rich in oleic acid and is healthy for the body. It helps in decreasing heart risk among people.
What are the post-treatment guidelines?
A number of individuals want to go back to their normal diet once they have lost considerable weight. One can do so, but weight gain is sure to follow. A Ketogenic diet does not really have any fixed time span. It is a type of diet on which a person can live his entire life.
If one chooses to go back to his normal diet, a dietician should be consulted and a balanced diet should be adopted in order to live a healthy lifestyle.
Benefits of ketogenic diet:
Benefits of keto diet are as follows:
- Helps in weight loss: This helps in reducing weight as it turns fat into energy and then carbs are also turned into energy thus ketogenic diets reduces the weight in speed. Keto diet will also make you feel less hungry as it is rich in protein.
- Reduces acne: It also helps in reducing acne as it is related to diet and sugar. A diet rich in refined carbohydrates reduces gut bacteria and also causes dramatic blood sugar fluctuations.
- Helps in reducing cancer risk: Keto diet can help reduce the risk of cancer and it even compliments chemotherapy and radiation in people who have cancer. It also reduces high blood sugar and also affects some insulin complications which can be associated with cancer.
- Helps in improving heart health:Keto diet is good heart health if followed in a proper way. It reduces the level of cholesterol in the body which is bad for the heart.
How long does it take to recover?
The effects of the Ketogenic diet may be experienced within a month. If followed properly, it helps in quick weight loss.
What is the price of Ketogenic diet plan in India?
Consultation prices for Ketogenic diet plan range from Rs 500- Rs 2500. The cost of the diet generally depends on the type of Keto plan that is recommended.
Are the results of the treatment permanent?
The diet has to be maintained properly in order to stay healthy and active. If it is not followed properly or discontinue prematurely, weight gain becomes a possibility.
What are the alternatives to the treatment?
The Atkins Diet and the low-carb high-fat diet (LCHF) may be considered as alternatives. These diets allow more protein intake but have the same results as the Keto diet.