What is the remedy about?
Insomnia can be defined as a sleep disorder where people have difficulty falling asleep easily. It also includes the condition where people abruptly wake up from their sleep at night and then find it difficult to go back to sleep once again.
The following home remedies can be adopted for treating insomnia:
- Have a glass of honey and milk before going to bed. Milk contains tryptophan, which will increase the serotonin amount in your body. This natural sedative hormone works in your brain and helps you to sleep better. Honey helps in transmitting this hormone to the brain faster.
- Practising cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) helps in retraining the body as well as the mind for a faster and deeper sleep. You can create a schedule of going to sleep and getting up at the same time on a regular basis. Listening to your favourite tunes or reading a book as a part of your daily schedule will help you to sleep better.
- A relaxed and calm environment is a necessity for a deep sleep at night. It is recommended to keep your mobile phones switched off and away from you to prevent disturbances in the night. Digital clocks or any other electrical device that glows in the dark should not be there in your bedroom. You must also ensure that there is no interference of outdoor lights while you are sleeping.
- Yoga, meditation or maintaining a diary may help if the reason for your insomnia is anxiety.
- You can try valerian tea or a cup of chamomile tea to treat insomnia. Valerian tea has the ability to reduce the time one takes to generally fall asleep, while letting you rest in a satisfied manner. Chamomile contains a flavonoid called apigenin that produces a calming effect in your brain.
- There are sedative properties in nutmeg that can help you sleep better. You can add a bit of nutmeg powder in your glass of milk and drink it before going to bed.
Are there any side effects?
Some side effects that these home remedies can have are:
- In case you have lactose intolerance, consuming milk can lead to abdominal cramping, diarrhea, gas or nausea. These side effects generally develop half an hour to 2 hours after drinking the milk. Apart from that, people with milk allergy can face symptoms such as coughing, an upset stomach, vomiting, itchy eyes, wheezing or swelling. In case one develops an anaphylactic reaction, medical intervention may be required.
- If you are diabetic or suffering from low blood sugar, you have to be careful about the amount of honey you are consuming. Honey can affect the sugar levels in your blood.
What are the post-remedy guidelines?
The post remedy guidelines of insomnia would include:
- Keep a tab on the time that you are going to bed and the time that you are waking up. You can maintain a record book for the same. Try to maintain that time every day.
- If you have started consuming a certain thing for treating insomnia, do not stop abruptly. Complete the course and keep a tab on the improvements, if any.
- If you are trying to sleep well at night, avoid napping in the afternoon.
- Exercise and meditation take time to produce results; hence you must continue doing them every day. Discontinuing them suddenly is not recommended.
How long does it take to recover?
The solutions for insomnia can be simple, but the results may appear after a long time. This often results in patients getting frustrated. Self-therapy techniques usually take a while before showing the desired effects. The time for recovery varies from person to person. For some people, a noticeable change in their sleeping pattern can be observed within a week of practising these home remedies. Some people may require three to four months or even longer. The best way to deal with insomnia is in a calm and relaxed manner.
Are the results of the remedy permanent?
Insomnia relapses are very common where you can experience sleep disorders with worse episodes. It generally occurs after showing signs of considerable improvement. In case of chronic insomnia, it may take quite a long time to recover, but it is a slow and sure progress. In the early stages, it may seem that results are hard to come by, but with proper determination and patience, the symptoms will get better. In many cases, insomnia can be permanently cured.
Is there any training or experts required?
The home remedies do not require any training or expertise as such. You can do them on your own at your convenience. However, if you are taking yoga classes, you must practise it under the supervision of an experienced trainer. He/ She can teach you the proper technique so that you do them correctly for beneficial results. If done incorrectly, you may sprain or injure yourself and that can become an added concern for you.