Ayurvedic Approach to Detoxing Body
It is necessary that you detoxify your body after regular intervals because with detoxification, you not just remove the dangerous toxins from your body but also increase the vitality of your body.
In Ayurveda, all natural ingredients are used for detoxification. Ayurveda works wonders in cleansing the blood by removing impurities and toxins, accumulated in various organs of the body such as the liver, intestines, kidneys, lymphatic system, lungs and skin. It is equally effective in case of both healthy and unhealthy individuals. While the unhealthy person gets rid of the chronic diseases, the healthy person becomes fit enough to prevent diseases and stay physically and mentally fit.
- Panchakarma: Panchakarma is Ayurveda's primary purification and detoxification treatment. Panchakarma means "five therapies". These 5 therapeutic treatments eliminate toxins from the body, they are: Vamana, Virechana, Nasya, Basti and Raktamoskshana. The series of these five therapies help remove deep rooted stress and illness-causing toxins from the body while balancing the doshas (energies that govern all biological functions).
- Nasya: Nasya or nasal administration is a procedure of cleaning the accumulated Kapha from the head and neck region. At first, the face, head and chest is massaged thoroughly using certain herbal oil which promotes perspiration. The excess mucus accumulated in the throat, sinus and head is drained out through the nearest opening- the nose. This treatment helps in treating sinusitis, headaches, migraine, Rhinitis, facial palsy, paralysis, insomnia, frozen shoulder and neurological dysfunctions. It is also effective in improving eyesight and memory.
- Abhyanga: It is a combination of long strokes and synchronized soothing that helps in re-storing balance, harmony and composure in the body. Your body is massaged with oil in seven different positions and the type of oil is chosen based on the body equilibrium. It stimulates healing at a micro-cellular level as the oils get absorbed in the intra-follicular and intra-dermal layers of the skin. It helps you to steer clear of tiredness and enhances immunity and sleep. It cures psychological imbalances and fosters flexibility in the joints and muscles, thus rendering softness to the skin glands.
- Shirodhara: In this therapy, warm medicated oil is continuously poured on your forehead for about 30 to 45 minutes followed by a 15 to 20 minutes Abhyanga massage. Depending on your body type, milk, oil, buttermilk or herbal decoctions are used to boost up the therapeutic effect of the treatment. It provides deep relaxation to your central nervous system and rejuvenates it. Shirodhara oil regulates the functioning of your hormonal system too, eliminating ailments such as high blood pressure, migraine, anxiety and headaches. Medicated buttermilk massage treatment helps treat diabetes while medicated milk serves as a good remedy to insomnia as well.
- Kati Vasti: This is a form of sudation therapy (procedure to induce sweat without the use of heat) that helps to ease lower back pain caused due to inter-vertebral inflammation. Vasti is two types Niruha vast that is vasti with medicated decotion and other is Anuvasana vasti that is vasti with medicated oil. Like other therapy vasti has also pretherapeutic and post therapeutic technique. Pretherapeutic includes snehana lubrication internally and externally and also swedana sweat therapy.these poorvakarma help in loosening and liquefying the toxins accumulated in cells and get collected in colon. After the application of herbal medicines this toxins collected in colon is eliminated out.
- Basti (Enema or Colonic Irrigation): The term 'Basti' stands for a pouch or bag. The procedure involves introducing ayurvedic liquid and herbal concoctions made of oils and milk through the perineum or anus or the vaginal opening in women in order to cleanse and heal the lower part of the body and remove the toxins accumulated in this part through the colon and urinary tract. Basti is considered as the mother of all Panchakarma treatments. It cleanses the accumulated toxins from all the 3 doshas : Vata, Pitta and Kapha, through the colon. Basti is also highly beneficial as a rejuvenating treatment. Medicated oil or ghee and an herbal decoction is given as enema to clean the colon and increase the muscle tone. This treatment is provided for several days, based on the medical condition of a person. It provides treatment for: For Hemiplegia, Paraplegia, Colitis, Convalescence, Cervical Spondylosis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Constipation, Digestive disorders, Backache & Sciatica, Hepatomegaly & Splenomegaly, Obesity, Piles, Sexual Debility & Infertility.
It is always better to practice these under the advice of an expert ayurveda practitioner.