My father is suffering from kidney failure, as per the words of doctors there are cysts in kidney along with 3 stones in each kidney. Doctors are recommending dialysis twice in a week for full life time. But my father is refusing to get dialysis done. Is there any other options or also please guide what kind of food he should have?

Hi, Thanks for writing in. Cysts in kidneys at elderly age are acceptable, though the size of cysts in case of your father is not specified in the query. I guess that the stones are causing obstruction to urinary flow and consequently there is obstructive uropathy which has led to kidney problems requiring dialysis. The dialysis is to remove the toxins from his blood because the kidneys are not functioning well. It will help to know his serum creatinine and creatinine clearance for last few months. Kidney transplant is an effective way if a patient does not want to go through dialysis but it is not for every patient. There are certain patient criteria before kidney transplant can be thought of. I am not too sure if your father is among the probable candidates for a kidney transplant. Please discuss it with your doctor. Regards,