Nosebleed (Epistaxis) Treatment
Rotator Cuff Injury Treatment
Corn Removal Procedure
Treatment for Constipation Treatment
Scar Revision Surgery
Scar Revision Surgery
Treatment Of Deep Vein Thrombosis - Dvt
Deep Pigmentation Treatment
Treatment of Rheumatic Complaints
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment Of Learning Disorders
Treatment Of Childhood Diabetes
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Piles Treatment (Non Surgical)
Submit a review for Dr.Kasana's ELEGANT AESTHETICS(skin care,laser & homoeopathic clinic)Your feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
With a wide range of modern skin rejuvenation techniques and procedures available in the market today, the effects of sun damage and age can be easily reversed. Wrinkles, scars, spots, pigmentation and a whole lot of embarrassing and unwanted skin flaws can now be easily treated.
When it comes to getting rid of common age related skin woes and giving your skin a total reboot, one of the most tried and tested treatments is the Intense Pulsed Light (IPL). ILP rejuvenation or Intense Pulsed light Photofacial procedure is an effective skin rejuvenation process as it involves the latest techniques of modern dermatology and can turn blotchy, red skin into a rejuvenated and radiant skin. It is an ideal remedy for sun and age damage on skin.
What is Intense Pulsed light Photofacial?
A pulse light photofacial refers to a procedure in which intense light pulses is pressed through the problematic areas. It is also known as intense Pulsed light or IPL photofacial. After the penetration of light pulses, the collagen and blood vessels below the epidermis get constricted. This reduces the redness on the skin along with the age lines. Several skin conditions can be treated using the process of IPL photo rejuvination. Removal of red spots, acne and rosacea is effectively done. The skin texture gets smoothened and is made even, large pores are closed and wrinkles are eliminated because of enhanced collagen growth.
Sometimes, redness and swelling may occur during the treatment, but they slowly disappear. The benefits can be observed within a week after the process is undertaken. During the process of IPL photo rejuvination, the high energy light waves produce help in reducing and eliminating several effects of aging, which includes facial wrinkles and discoloration of the skin due to prolonged sun damage. The pulsed light helps in the production of collagen, which is a natural protein that repairs wrinkles, making the skin surface smooth and soft. One treatment or session is not enough for proper skin rejuvenation, and the IPL photo rejuvination process should be repeated. With each treatment, the results get more well defined. Five full face IPL photofacial sessions are required within a span of three weeks for the best results.
Benefits and risks
The Pros: IPL is a preferred treatment since its does not cause much discomfort. Little or no downtime is required as well. The method is non ablative in nature, which means that no skin gets removed during the process. Because of this, recovery is easy and hardly any major risk associated with this skin rejuvenation technique. A major benefit of IPL photo rejuvination is that it treats several skin problems at once.
The Cons: In rare cases, you may notice blistering, bruising, scabbing and change in skin pigmentation. These side effects do not last long and disappear on their own usually.
Photodynamic therapy or PDT is a relatively new and non-invasive treatment for non melanomaskin cancer. It is mostly used in cases where the cancer is superficial and has not spread too deep. PDT is used mostly to treat Actinic Keratoses on the face and scalp, Basal cell carcinomas, Bowen’s disease, as well as other conditions such as head and neck, mouth, lung and gullet cancer.
How does it work?
This treatment involves the use of a drug known as photosensitize or a photosensitizing agent with a specific type of light. When the photosensitizing agents get exposed to a light of a specific wavelength, a form of oxygen is produced, which eliminates nearby cancer cells. Every photosensitizer gets activated by the special light. The wavelength of the light determines how much it can penetrate into the body.
Process of Photodynamic therapy
Skin cancer is cured by PDT in several steps. The first step involves the injection of a photosensitizer into the patient’s bloodstream. The blood cells absorb the agent all over the body, but in the cancer cells, it stays for a longer duration. Within 72 hours after the injection is given, the skin is exposed to light. The photosensitizer agent present in the cancer affected cells absorbs the light. An active oxygen form gets produced, which kills the cancer cells.
Other than killing the cancer cells directly, PDT uses two other ways to destroy cancerous tumors. The blood vessels in the tumor are affected, which leads to its death. The immune system also gets charged up and activated for fighting the cancer cells.
The light used for PDT is usually in the form of a laser. LEDs are also used to treat tumors present on the surface of the skin. The primary photosensitizing agent used in PDT is called porfimer sodium or Photofrin.
PDT can be undertaken in the outpatient department in a hospital. After taking the treatment, you have to keep the cancer affected area of the skin dry and covered for 36 hours. The area should be treated with care while showering. In case of thick skin lesions, repeat treatments are required within 4 weeks.
When is PDT used for skin cancer
PDT can be undertaken instead of surgery for treating basal cell cancer, Bowen’s disease and actinic keratosis. PDT is used in cases where surgeries are required. It is used to treat large skin cancers, which are not very deep and in the case when several cancers develop in an area. For many skin conditions, PDT is a better remedy than undergoing a surgery.
Advantages of PDT
- There are no long term side effects.
- The process is less invasive compared to surgery.
- A very short time is taken for this therapy to be undertaken.
- The process can be repeated several times in the same area.
- Very less scarring takes place in the affected area.
- The cost of this procedure is lesser than surgery.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dermatologist.
- The cost of this procedure is lesser than surgery.
For many of us who have crossed the twenties, dull skin is one the biggest problems. However, bringing out the natural glow of your skin is not that difficult a task, if you can cut out the junk food, work out every day, keep your skincare regular. Here are a few tips that can give your skin that natural glow.
- Exfoliation: Skin cells renew themselves after every 27 days and without regular skin exfoliation, a dead skin cell layer stays on the skin surface giving it a dull and lifeless appearance. With the process of exfoliation, new skill cell development is encouraged to give a more even and radiant complexion.
- Detoxification: In case your body gets overloaded with toxins, they will have effects on your skin. You should carry out detoxification by cutting the intake of sugar and alcohol for some days.
- Nourishing the skin from the inside: The skin should be nourished properly with enough vitamins and minerals to get a radiant complexion. Vitamin C is an efficient antioxidant and helps in repairing the skin from inside, keeping it healthy. As a result, you get more supple and radiant skin. Iron is also essential for the proper functioning of the antioxidants.
- Nourishing the skin from the outside: You should apply essential minerals and vitamins to the skin surface. They get absorbed by the skin cells resulting in a glowing and rejuvenated complexion.
- Hydration: You must drink loads of water to enable proper flush out of toxins and eliminate them from your system. The skin cells are also pumped, making the skin look fuller and radiant. You should drink at least two litres of water regularly.
- Sufficient sleep: The body requires seven to nine hours of regular sleep, to get properly rejuvenated and also for repairing itself. Improper or disturbed sleep will take a toll on your body and the skin will be affected by losing its radiance and lustre.
- Antioxidants: Natural antioxidants help in fighting free radicals and enable you to have smooth, beautiful and radiant skin. You should consume food items, which contain natural antioxidants such as vitamin C and vitamin E. This way damaged skin is repaired and rejuvenated, giving it a brighter appearance and a more even skin tone.
- Protection: It is important to protect your skin from the harmful rays of the sun. You should avoid going out during extremely hot days. Sometimes, the sun’s rays can affect you even when you do not go directly under it. You should wear brimmed hats, sunglasses and apply sunscreen on hot, humid days.
- Exercise: Apart from maintaining physical shape, exercise encourages an increased heart rate and makes your lungs workout. The leads to better oxidation in the skin and new skin cells are produced. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
Enlarged pores can make a face look really unappealing and sweaty. But the good news is that there are a lot of methods available to tackle them. From making the pores smaller to completely eliminating them, here is a list of some fantastic remedies.
Some homemade remedies:
- Baking soda mixture: Baking soda not only helps to reduce pores, it also helps in fighting acne. This can be used every night for the first week and 3-4 times a week thereafter.
- A mixture of lemon and pineapple juice: A cloth drenched in lemon and pineapple juice when applied on enlarged pores, can help them shrink over a period of time. Ensure that you rinse your face with water after a minute.
- Wash your face: Washing your face twice a day is necessary as i stop pores from getting enlarged. Bacteria, oil and dirt enlarge the pores a great deal. Washing the face at least twice a day will reduce the pores.
- Ice-cube treatment: Ice cubes can be applied on the face daily for 5-20 seconds. They not only reduce pores, but tighten the skin as well.
- Yogurt mask: Since yogurt contains probiotics and lactic acid, it is a great weapon for fighting acne and enlarged pores. The yogurt mask shouldn’t be used more than once a week though.
- Healthy diet: Eating fresh fruits and vegetables is a prerequisite for getting rid of enlarged pores. It is also necessary to consume lots of vitamin A, B and C on a daily basis. Consuming a lot of water and staying away from caffeine also goes a long way in fighting pores.
- Sandalwood powder mix: Sandalwood paste made with water is a great remedy for enlarged pores. The paste should be applied and kept that way for 10-20 minutes before rinsing it off with cold water.
- Papaya and banana peels: Papaya and banana contain papain and bromelain enzymes respectively. Rubbing their peels on the face can greatly help in getting rid of pores and blemishes.
Visit a dermatologist
Most dermatologists prescribe topical medicines, which have to be applied on skin or pills for consumption. Depending on the level of pore enlargement, a doctor decides the medicines. Mild antibiotics are often prescribed for patients with enlarged pores blemishes.
Dermabrasion: This is a method where a doctor scrapes the upper layer of the epidermis with a wire brush to get rid of pores and blemishes. This procedure comes handy if the face is affected by scars.
Dermaplaning: This method is similar to dermabrasion. The only difference being that in the case of dermaplaning, instead of the whole upper layer, only the affected part of the skin is removed.
A cortisone injection: This is considered to be the last resort for pores and blemishes. The swelling from the blemish immediately reduces as soon as the injection is pushed.
If you wish to discuss about any specific skin problem, you can consult a specilized dermatologist and ask a free question.
The damaging effects of the sun, old age and acne can leave your skin with wrinkles, unwanted marks and several other skin disorders. If you are seeking to reverse these skin conditions and get rid of minor facial flaws, then laser skin resurfacing could be the answer. Laser skin resurfacingis a cosmetic procedure, which helps in rejuvenation of the skin and removing wrinkles, spots, blemishes and scars. It’s a safe and convenient procedure and provides great results.
Also known as skin resurfacing, fractional resurfacing, and laser peel, laser skin resurfacing works by removing the damaged outer layers of the skin. The production of collagen and new skin cells is also stimulated. Undertaking this procedure can make the skin look smooth and young.
During the procedure, a laser is utilized, which dissolves the molecular bonding of the damaged cells. This is continued, layer by layer, until the appearance of the skin gets smoother and more even and the damaged skin layers are peeled off.Laser skin resurfacing can be performed to different depths, according to your desired requirement. Different devices are used for laser skin resurfacing and thus, the procedure can be divided into several types. The procedure type depends on the type of laser used.
The different types of lasers used are:
- CO2 lasers: This procedure is the highest intensity laser skin resurfacing treatment. After using CO2 lasers, the skin surface becomes tighter and much smoother. The laser restricts collagen bonds. CO2 lasers help in diminishing or eliminating scars, wrinkles, warts and birthmarks. CO2 lasers are also used in the basic stages of cancer treatment.
- Erbium lasers: Erbium lasers are capable of removing the thin layers of the skin. It is not so powerful as CO2 lasers, but the process is much more precise. This laser skin resurfacing is usually carried out in people with a dark complexion as the risk of permanent changes to skin pigmentation is less. The healing period is short. These lasers are used for treating minimal wrinkles or lines.
- Fraxel lasers: Fraxel laser skin resurfacing procedure is different from the other two laser treatment methods. This procedure is non-invasive and much fewer side effects are experienced. A patient has to undergo several sessions on this therapy for full rejuvenation of the skin.
When to consider this process?
- If you have wrinkles in your face, especially around the mouth and eyes, and sagging skin in the lower eyelid area.
- If your face has blotchiness and age spots.
- If you have irregular colour tones on your face
- If you have scars and leathery skin
What is achieved?
A laser skin resurfacing enhances your skin’s smoothness and tightness. All kinds of facial lines, wrinkles and scars can be removed. The overall texture of the skin also improves, which is relatively long-lasting. Skin growths like moles and warts can also be removed using this procedure. Any kind of scar resulting due to a previous surgery can also be eliminated permanently.There are different modes of this type of skin resurfacing, and you can avail the best one that fits your requirement.
The skin is the largest organ of the body and for our overall health, it is important to ensure that it remains in good health. In the last few decades various cancers of the skin have been on the rise which has become a point of concern for medical professionals worldwide. A simple spot on your skin could be the very first sign of skin cancer and thus it is helpful to be armed with knowledge about this subject.
Types of skin cancer
Skin cancers are primarily categorized into one of three types:
- Basal Cell Carcinoma
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Although the types of cancer are different, they have similar symptoms that you can look out for. Analyzing your skin spots or lesions for tell tale signs can tell you whether it needs to be checked out by a doctor or not. Let's look at some of them:
- The shades or colors of the patch: Cancerous skin cells will have various colors on them and may be pink or white in certain areas while being brown or black in other areas.
- The spot or lesion will always be changing: If the spot or growth on your skin is cancerous it will constantly change size shape or form as well as color.
- Almost always asymmetrical shape: Cancerous growth on your skin will tend to be irregular in shape and one side of it will not be similar to the other.
- The shape or borders of the spot: If the lesion or spot on your skin is jagged, quite irregular in shape or the sides are blurred then this may be a sign of a cancerous growth.
- Tenderness of the spots or the lesions: These spots can be painful, tender, itchy and also have redness in the area surrounding it. It could even be oozing or bleeding although this depends from patient to patient.
- Horn like growths: Certain form of skin spots or lesions will grow into small horn like growth on the skin and feel like nails. This is due to the excess presence of keratin which is found in nails and may be an indicator for skin cancer.
- Moles that change shape, size or color: If you have developed a mole and it keeps changing its color, size and edges it could be clear sign of melanoma. In such cases it is best to get it checked by your doctor.
Skin cancers are easily treatable if diagnosed early and have a high chance of being cured, but it is also important for you to self diagnose any spots or areas of concern so that you can take appropriate action in time.