Mastoiditis is a bacterial infection of the mastoid air cells surrounding the inner and middle ear. The mastoid bone, which is full of these air cells, is part of the temporal bone of the skull. The mastoid air cells are thought to protect the delicate structures of the ear, regulate ear pressure and possibly protect the temporal bone during trauma.
When the mastoid cells become infected or inflamed, often as a result of an unresolved middle ear infection (otitis media), mastoiditis can develop. Because so many vital structures pass through the mastoid, infection may spread outside of the mastoid bone and cause serious health complications.
Acute mastoiditis typically affects children, but adults can also be affected.
Some people have chronic mastoiditis, an ongoing infection of the middle ear and mastoid that causes persistent drainage from the ear.
Mastoiditis most often develops as a result of a middle ear infection. Bacteria from the middle ear can travel into the air cells of the mastoid bone. Less commonly, a growing collection of skin cells called a cholesteatoma may block drainage of the ear, leading to mastoiditis.
Mastoiditis symptoms may include:
- fever, irritability, and lethargy
- swelling of the ear lobe
- redness and tenderness behind the ear
- drainage from the ear
- bulging and drooping of the ear
Mastoiditis complications may include:
- facial paralysis
- nausea, vomiting, vertigo (labyrinthitis)
- hearing loss
- brain abscess or meningitis
- vision changes or headaches (blood clots in the brain)
- Aurum metallicum- Caries of ossicula and mastoid. External meatus bathed in pus. Chronic nerve deafness due to syphilis.
- Calcarea Sulphurica- Chronically draining ear, mainly right ear. Thick and yellowish discharge which shows no tendency to heal.
- Capsicum Annum- Burning and stinging in ear. Left ear remedy. Swelling and pain behind the ear. Inflammation of mastoid. Tenderness over the petrous bone, extremely sore and tender to touch. Otorrhea and mastoid disease before suppuration.
- Graphites- Chronic otitis and external otitis, often together. Left-sided otitis nearly always draining. Chronic discharge from the ear, often thick, gluey and offensive. Hearing problems. Hearing better in a noisy environment. Chronic complaints after suppressed ear discharge.
- Hepar Sulphuris- Scurfs on and behind the ears. Discharge of fetid pus from the ear. Whizzing and throbbing in the ear, with hardness of hearing. Pustules in the auditory canal and auricle, mastoiditis.
- Kalium Muriaticum- Chronic glue ear. Ear: crackling and popping in the ears on swallowing or movement of jaw.
- Kali Sulphuricum- Deep catarrhal conditions with sinusitis, bronchitis and otitis or" glue ear" ear: hearing loss from chronic serous otitis. Catarrh with chronic yellow discharge.Uncomfortable and irritated in a warm room, while the local symptoms of obstruction and mucus may improve. Mouth breathing and snoring. Irritable yet timid with those outside the family.
- Mercurius Solubilis- Acute and recurrent otitis media with marked suppuration. Clear rhinitis (" cold") followed by thick discharge, then earache. Ear: more often affecting the right ear. Pain, discharge, hearing loss. Yellow-green offensive discharge from ear with difficulty hearing. Inflammation of external ear canal. Worse: night. Damp weather. Heat of the bed. Swallowing. Better: cold application. Local: sore throat with acute otitis.Tongue with dirty coating and tooth imprints. General: patient is sweaty, has excess saliva and a" sick" odor (especially the breath). Often with serious conditions: sinusitis, bronchitis or pneumonia.
- Nitricum Acidum- Difficult hearing, very sensitive to noise. Chronic pain and inflammation in the right ear. Ear pains extending upward from the throat on swallowing. Severe pain; stitching ear pains. Ears cracking when person chews. Thin, offensive, acrid discharges. Threatened mastoiditis. Worse: night. Cold. Swallowing. Better: warm applications. Disposition: irritable and demanding.
- Petroleum- Itching and catarrh deep in the eustachian tubes. Chronic and purulent discharge from ear. Progressive hearing loss from serous otitis. Stitching pains in ears when swallowing. Chilly. Worse all winter long. Marked loathing for fats cracks on the fingers, especially the tips
- Pulsatilla Nigra- Thick yellow or green bland discharge. Moods are changeable and contradictory. Mild and yielding personality. Mouth is dry but no thirst.
- Silicea Terra- Fetid discharge from ear. Caries in the mastoid. Loud pistol like retort. Sensitive to noise, roaring in ears.
- Other Homoeopathic Medicine:- Asafetida, kali iodum,mercurius-iod rubrum, tuberculinum.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult a specialist
& get answers to your questions!