What is the remedy about?
Thyroid is a condition that occurs because of the imbalance in your thyroid levels. A drastic increase or decrease in your body weight can be an indication of thyroid problems. In hypothyroidism, your weight increases due to the improper functioning of your metabolic rate whereas in hyperthyroidism, the fast metabolic rate results in loss of weight. The following home remedies can help you to get rid of thyroid problems:
- Increased intake of vitamin A is considered to be one of the best ways to deal with thyroid problems. Include yellow foods in your daily diet. Also, eggs, carrots and other green vegetables contain a good amount of vitamin A and are recommended for people suffering from thyroid.
- Lyceum berry, an immunomodulator (modulates the activity of your immune system), can help to balance all the abnormal responses of your body.
- Leading a sedentary lifestyle will never help in getting rid of thyroid problems. It is important to exercise regularly as that can help boost the supply of oxygen in your body.
- Apple cider vinegar is said to help in detoxification, and restore the acid and alkaline balance in your body. Add 2 teaspoons of the apple cider vinegar with a few drops of honey in warm water. Drink this mixture regularly to get desired results.
- Increasing your intake of iodine can prove to be very beneficial for your thyroid problems. Foods such as onion, strawberries, garlic, pineapple, tomatoes, asparagus, onion and oats are organic sources of iodine that you can consume on a regular basis.
Are there any side effects?
The possible side effects could be:
- Excessive intake of lyceum berries can disturb your sleep or cause dizziness. In case you are taking a medication for blood thinning, it is better to avoid having lyceum berries. Also, people taking medication for diabetes or blood pressure need to consult their doctor before consuming these berries.
- Too much vitamin A can cause nausea, dizziness, vomiting or a poor appetite. It should be taken in moderate amounts.
- If you are having apple cider vinegar, you must keep a check on the amount that you are consuming. Too much of it can cause health problems. The acid that is present in the apple cider vinegar can affect your teeth and throat. Its other components can also affect your potassium and blood sugar levels.
- Excessive consumption of iodine can lead to stomach upset, diarrhea, soreness of the teeth and the gums, or even throat inflammation.
What are the post-remedy guidelines?
The post remedy guidelines include:
- Maintain a well balanced and healthy diet. Avoid processed foods that are normally packed with sugar as well as preservatives.
- Stop smoking.
- When you are exercising, restrict yourself to low impact exercises like walking or jogging. You can also opt for cardio exercises in moderation or workouts related to circuit training. Do not go for excessive training or exercises as that can do more harm than good.
- Drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated.
- Try to consume less meat, especially red meat.
- Do not stress yourself.
How long does it take to recover?
The recovery period generally varies from person to person. On an average, it may take around 4 to 6 weeks before you start showing any improvement. However, if you notice that there has been no change in your thyroid symptoms or your condition has deteriorated, it is better to consult a thyroid specialist.
Are the results of the remedy permanent?
If your thyroid disorder is diagnosed in its initial stages, it can be treated. In case of some other disorders, you have to seek medical assistance and opt for treatments that may be life-long.
Is there any training or experts required?
You would not require any special training to practice any of these home remedies. In case you want training for any cardio exercises, it is better if you do it under the guidance of a professional trainer. Also, you can consult your nutritionist for a proper diet chart that you can follow.