Diet Chart - Treatment, Procedure And Side Effects
Last Updated: Dec 05, 2023
What is Diet Chart?
A diet chart is basically a guideline of what you should/should not eat. A wide range of disorders in the body can originate from making the wrong choices with respect to food. Lifestyle disorders like diabetes and obesity are prime examples what eating the wrong type of food can do.
In order to prevent such disorders or simply bring your weight to optimal levels, you can visit a dietitian who can design a diet chart for you. It will include the type of foods that you should eat and in what quantity. The scheduling of your meals is another aspect that can easily be overlooked, so a diet chart also addresses this aspect. It is generally designed based on the disorder/condition that you may have. Based on a thorough examination of your medical records, the dietician will make a diet chart accordingly.
It is recommended to visit the dietitian on a periodic basis so that he/she is aware of your progress.
How to follow a Diet Chart?
Initially, the dietician will check your weight and physical fitness. A thorough examination of your medical records will be done to see if you have any disorder. The diet chart will then be designed according to the disorder/ condition that you may have. This can be better illustrated with an example, where the patient has high cholesterol levels.
This is a sample diet chart for a patient with high cholesterol levels –
- Include plenty of vegetable and fruits.
- Increase fiber intake by including fiber-rich foods in your diet like oats, wheat bran, and brown rice.
- Include oily fish like salmon and mackerel in your diet.
- Avoid eating simple sugars like cookies and carbonated drinks as they contain little nutritional value.
- Include nuts like almonds and walnuts as they are rich in antioxidants and good fats.
Who should choose for a Diet Chart?
A diet chart can be recommended if you have the following conditions –
Are there any side effects?
A diet chart can only have side effects if it has been prescribed in the wrong manner. Some of the side effects that a diet chart can have are –
- Excessive weight loss
- Deficiency of vitamins or minerals in the body.
- You might get prone to few disorders
What are the key point guidelines?
The post treatment guidelines regarding a diet chart are –
- Consult the dietician in case you feel sick.
- Check your weight periodically so that rapid fluctuations in weight can be detected.
- In case you are not comfortable with certain foods in your diet, consult your dietician if you want to make changes.
How much will it cost you?
The price of a diet plan varies from Rs 5000 to 10,000 per quarter
Are the results of diet chart permanent?
The results of a diet plan can be permanent if balanced diet is maintained post the dieting exercise
What are the alternatives to the diet plan?
If a person fails in achieving the desired body through exercising and diet, the doctor goes for liposuction surgery, also known as lipo. In this technique the doctor removes the excess fat from the body.
The doctor mainly removes fat from patient’s hips, belly, thighs, back, buttocks, arms or face to bring it back in shape. Lipo surgery is also done with other plastic surgeries, including facelifts, breast reductions, and tummy tucks. You need to be physically fit to undergo a liposuction.
So, if you are also suffering from excess body weight, you should immediately consult a doctor for best advise. Lipo, however, is an expensive procedure and requires a lot of post-surgery care.
- Healthy Diet- NHP, National Health Portal [Internet]. nhp.gov.in 2016. [Cited 26 July 2019]. Available from:
- Good Nutrition- Physician Committee for Responsible Medicine [Internet]. pcrm.org [Cited 26 July 2019]. Available from:
- Meredith K. Stroke-O-Graph: The Psychological Diet Chart. Transactional Analysis Journal. 1986 Jul 1;16(3):161-4. [Cited 26 July 2019]. Available from:
Table of content
15+ Years of Surgical Experience
All Insurances Accepted
EMI Facility Available at 0% Rate
Find Dietitian/Nutritionist near me
Ask a free question
Get FREE multiple opinions from Doctors