My mother who is 63 years old, has high bp and cholesterol, because of this one of her kidney is scarred. Doctor asked her to reduce weight. She started walking in the morning but due to acute pain in knee (arthritis pain) she is not able to do her regular walking. Is it okay for her to continue her walks despite so much pain and if no then what form of exercises should she aim for? Thanks doctor.

My mother who is 63 years old, has high bp and cholestero...
kidney is harmed may be because of the medicines that she must have been from years....so firstly shift to homeopathy fro Blood pressure and cholesterol, with which her kidney will also recover and start homeopathy for the joint pains also,because the only cure for joint pains is homeopathy. regards
Exercise can assist with the maintenance of muscle strength and the mobility of arthritic joints. Activity at a level that does not cause pain is not thought to worsen osteoarthritis. Non weight-bearing exercises such as swimming or aqua jogging in a heated pool may be beneficial. Range-of-motion and stretching exercises will help maintain the maximum possible movement in the joint. Stretching will help maintain or restore flexibility to the joint’s muscles and tendons. You can apply cold or heat several times a day to reduce your knee pain. Just remember to cover the cold pack with a towel and keep your heating pad at a low setting to avoid burning your skin. Whether you use heat or cold, remove it after 20 to 30 minutes. If the knee is swollen or sore, the following positions and activities you should avoid until knee pain and swelling resolve: Squatting Kneeling Twisting and pivoting See a Physiotherapist for detail exercises programme and management of OA knee. Best wishes.
Dear lybrate-user, your mother is overweight by 13 kg. She can opt high protein diet to reduce her weight.