My wife is under treatment for below symptoms. 1) bi-polar (getting very angry and sleeplessness. Unwanted thoughts and concerns, body pain, phycatric disorder like doing abnormal activities which is difficult to justify in common sense. Talking irrelevant things. Loss of memory, lack of concentration. Weakness, she was in a depressed mood since a 1 to 1.5 years. Withdraw from others and not interested to interact with neighbours and even with relatives. Her tsh is 15. Medicine taking. Valprol-500, olimelt- 12.5 mg. And thyroxine- 50 mg. My question is that should she has to go with medicine for life time? Her condition is moderately improved since the treatment started from last month. How much time will take to get normal mentally and physically. Thanks, prasad.

Dear Prasad, Your wife needs to be on Valprol and Thyroxine for life. The dase needs to be changed frequently depending on the improvement and side effect of these tablets. TSH will decide on thyroxine dose. It is just one month. Let TSH come down to normal. Is she menopausal? Depending on other hormonal and medical conditions, it may take few more months to become normal.
It's a matter of concern that your wife is going through so many problems. Medicines are doing their work but along with medicines, she needs counseling too. With medicines, she will feel better for a certain period of time but in the long run, they will not be much effective. Moreover, medicines will have adverse effects on her health, if taken for long. I would suggest you to take her for counseling from a counselor (psychologist). The counselor will work on her thought process and will reach to the core of the problem that will help your wife to feel better, gradually and eventually.
Hi lybrate-user. Welcome to Lybrate. It is necessary to take medicines for bipolar disorder patients as they have episodes of mood swings ranging from manic highs to depressive lows. However, alongwith medications the patient can be given psychotherapy which indeed has helped in the case of bipolar patients to a large extend. Treatment can help in the management of patient's health. Psychotherapy sessions such as:- 1) cognitive behaviour therapy (cbt); 2) family focussed therapy; 3) interpersonal therapy. Psychoeducation will help you and your wife to understand bipolar disorder and its adherence towards pharmacological treatment.