Diagnostic X- Ray
Angiography Radial Approach
Uterine Artery Embolization
Bone Densitometry Procedure
Interventional Diagnostic Procedures
Varicose Vein Laser Treatment
Patient Review Highlights
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Sudhir Pudi to be knowledgeable. Thanku sir
Dr. Sudhir Pudi provides answers that are caring, well-reasoned and inspiring. Thanks doc. I ll discuss with her
What is computed tomography?
Computed Tomography is more commonly known as CT scan. It is a specialized form of X-ray. Computed Tomography is a non-invasive diagnostic procedure. CT scan provides concise images of different body parts and can also divulge any internal bleeding or injury during emergency situations. It is absolutely painless and is known to provide accurate information.
How does it work?
The patient is required to lie down on a table which is then passed through an opening, circular in structure. The radiations are rotated inside the CT scan machine for processing the images of the required body parts.
Benefits of Computed Tomography
- Computed Tomography helps in the identification of any benign (tumor) or malignant (cancer) growth in any part of your body.
- The procedure can be conducted for different body parts such as the head, abdomen, spine and chest among many others.
- The images provide much detailed information. It contains information regarding the condition of blood vessel, soft tissue and bones.
- Various bones and muscular disorders are also identified via Computed Tomography.
- Radiation therapy or biopsy can be carried out with the aid of Computed Tomography.
Risk factors associated with Computed Tomography
- If a person is allergic to Iodine (a dye used in the process), then it must be informed to the doctor beforehand to avoid further complications such as itching, nausea or vomiting.
- At times, kidney functions may get disrupted.
- The radiation emitted during CT scan is known to be harmful, especially for children.
- The dye used for conducting CT scan can cause allergic reaction that can be life-threatening.
At times the doctor may advise anti-allergic drugs to patients who are allergic to the dyes used in the process. CT scan is otherwise a very safe procedure for diagnosing various diseases.
My veins are visible in green colour on my right hand very clearly. In any other part it is normal. Some one says that it is a disease.
Ultra sound is commonly known as sonography. It is a process of reproducing ultrasound images of soft tissues of a particular body part and other organs on the computer screen with the help of the echoes of the sound waves produced by the transducer, a high-frequency generating instrument.
Ultra sound is commonly used during the different stages of pregnancy to denote the foetal health, date of delivery, birth defects etc. However, in recent times, the ultra sound has also been associated with the diagnosis of other body parts such as the eyes, heart, gall bladder, liver, ovary, uterus, kidney, uterus, testicles, and ovaries. Ultra sound has also been useful in conducting biopsies for suspecting cancer patients, although not all of the cancers are detected by this imaging process. 3D & 4D ultrasound imaging are useful for looking at a particular body portion with much more precision and in slow motion respectively.
The advantages of ultra sound are:
1. The process of ultrasound imaging is a painless and a fast one. It does not require any insertion of needles or similar objects to denote the problems of the concerned body part.
2. The process is more convenient as compared to other similar imaging processes like MRI, mammogram and x-rays as they can capture images of the soft tissues, blood flow & cysts more clearly than the other processes.
3. The process is free of any harmful effects as there are no chances of exposure to radiation as compared to similar processes such as CT scans or X-rays. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
My mother is suffering from varicose vein problem from the past few years and had done treatment in Ayurveda as well as in homeopathy, which results in recovery for a short period of time and later again back to the same stage. In her legs the veins are a little bulged and will get swollen with intense pain which finally results in a wound from which a watery kind of pus is coming. The wound is very difficult to cure which takes too many days with severe pain. It is affected on the small veins and tissues. So I request you to suggest the treatment for this type of varicose problem or from where we will get the treatment for this. Awaiting for your soon reply.
A lower limb ulcer or a leg ulcer is characterized by the formation of a chronic sore. These sores take more than a month to heal, and tend to develop on the insides of the leg. It is characterized by symptoms of pain, swelling in the affected area and itching. The skin around the ulcer tends to harden and get discolored. A foul smelling discharge is also common.
These sores tend to form if there is a minor injury in the leg. This tends to develop when the blood circulation inside the veins of the leg is hampered, that results in an increase in blood pressure. The high blood pressure can damage the vessels under the skin, making them fragile. The skin tends to break and form ulcers easily after a cut or a wound has been sustained.
There are certain factors that increase the risks of lower limb ulcer; them being:
Obesity: Being overweight can lead to an increase in blood pressure in the leg, augmenting the risk of lower leg ulcer (learn more to reduce obesity)
Varicose Veins: This disorder is characterized by swollen veins resulting from malfunctioning valves. This disorder of the veins increases the risks of lower limb ulcers.
Age: Ageing increases the chances of lower leg ulcer. This is because old age and its related disorders tend to limit your movement.
The symptoms of lower limb include discoloration of the skin, swollen ankles, a heavy feeling in the lower limbs, flaky and itchy skin and enlarged veins in the legs. A foul smelling discharge from the wound and high fever are common symptoms as well.
The treatment begins with cleaning the affected area. Medicines are applied on the area, following which the dressing is applied on the wound. In order to treat the swelling and improve the circulation in the legs, a compression bandage is also wrapped around the area. These bandages help in easing the blood circulation and relieving pain.
In order to facilitate quicker healing of the ulcer, it is recommended to remain active and ditch a sedentary lifestyle completely. It is advised to keep your leg elevated while you are sitting or lying down; this helps better the blood circulation. Avoid smoking and consuming alcohol as they inevitably slow down the healing process.
Radiology is a specialized branch of science concerned with the treatment and diagnosis of diseases through high energy radiation or X-rays. Interventional radiology also known as vascular radiology is a subspecialty of radiology. Interventional radiology involves the use of a variety of techniques for diagnosing or treating a particular disease. Some of these techniques are Ultrasound, MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) and X-ray among the others.
Radiology has several advantages. Six prime advantages of Radiology are mentioned below:
- Radiology and Interventional radiology are sometimes completely non-invasive or less invasive methods of diagnosis and treatment. These diagnostic and treatment procedures involve the use of digital imaging or photographic images and needle insertion.
- Radiology is a less expensive method of treatment as compared to other surgical or medicinal treatment procedures.
- Blood vessel diseases like narrowing of arteries, which obstructs smooth flow of the blood, hemorrhage, blood clots and vein blockage can be easily treated with the help of radiology.
- Radiology can effectively treat benign or malignant tumors. It destroys the tumor in situ (original position of growth) and also counters tumors that has spread to other parts of the body due to metastasis( the process through which cancer cells spread from its original position to the other organs of the body).
- The procedure of radiology can also be used for inserting feeding tube into a patient's body or for the purpose of draining out fluids from the abdominal region or chest.
- Radiology is considered to be a popular treatment for treating different stone diseases such as kidney stones or gallstones.
All radiological procedures are conducted by or under the supervision of experienced specialists known as Radiologists.