My mother is 55 years old. She is 4 feet 11 inches and weighs 77 kilos. She has been suffering from rheumatoid arthritis for over 9 years now and has been jn treatment under a special realised doctor all these years. She consumes close to 10 medicines a day out of which few are for arthritis, thyroid, pain, vitamins, bp and inflammation. She has been consuming arava 10 for her arthritis for over 7 years now. However at recent times she experiences pain in various parts of her body. She also experiences numbness and stiffness on the lower portion of her body (below waist). Recently the doctor advised few tests and mri scan of limbo sacral spine to understand the cause. The result of the mri states various points out of which I have listed few.
1. Mild osteophytes lippings, mixed end plate changes seen at multiple level with type 1 modic changes at l3-l4 level. 2. Generalized disc bulge, facial hypertrophy, ligamentum flavum thickening, bilateral neural foram narrowing, bilateral lateral recesses at l3- l4, 3. Disc bulge, ligamentum flavum thickening with bilateral inferior aspect of neural foramen effacement at l2-l3-l1-l2 level.
Now the doctor has advised her to consult a dietician and undergo physiotherapy treatment. My question is what is the future if this bone degeneration and narrowing of bones. What can we do to prevent more damage to these bones.
1. In rheumatoid arthritis physical exercises play an important role along with medications.
2. Whatever changes you have described in the MRI are all degenerative changes in the spine related to age and now accelerated by her previous condition ie Rheumatoid arthritis
3 She also requires muscle strengthening, splints to prevent deformities, regular back exercises
4. She has to take calcium and vitamin D3 and maintain normal levels
5. It will be advisable to do a DEXA scan also to know the bone density and take proper treatment if required
1. Weight reduction
2. Physiotherapy and exercises
3. Calcium and vitamin d
4. Adequate control of ra.
Was this answer helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.
Book appointment with top doctors for Rheumatoid Arthritis treatment