Patient Review Highlights
- "Very helpful" 4 reviews
- "Caring" 1 review
- "Very helpful" 4 reviews
- "Caring" 1 review
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Prabhu Vyas to be very helpful. Share feedback in your own words...
Sexual frustration is very common and almost everyone experience it at some point in their lives. Sexual frustration can occur because of a lack of having a sexual partner or having a partner with whom you cannot fully sexually express yourself. Sometimes, having a partner who doesn't understand your sexual needs can become very frustrating. It is necessary to understand the root cause of this problem and take help to feel better.
How can you deal with sexual frustration?
- Masturbation: It is safe, healthy and makes you aware of your pleasure points. Masturbation is considered a taboo and is frowned upon in many societies. You will have to work on this and try and try to overcome this. Sexual frustration can also build up due to the lack of achieving an orgasm. By masturbating daily, one can release endorphins in the body. Endorphins are a chemical which act as a natural stress buster and thus can ease the levels of anxiety and stress. Achieving an orgasm through masturbation can also release chemicals like oxytocin and dopamine which help you to relax your muscles.
- Accept yourself: Sexual frustration can also arise because of low self confidence of your body. Many men and women think that they might not get a sexual partner because they are unlovable, unworthy or unattractive. Learn to accept yourself so that you can reduce sexual frustration. Surround yourself with people who care for you and make you feel positive. Stop feeling guilty of your body image and learn to love yourself the way you are.
- Stop focusing on orgasms: Many times we concentrate way too much on achieving an orgasm and thus, we become depressed when we fail to achieve one. Try to focus on other things and try to enjoy the intercourse rather than being fixated on achieving an orgasm.
- Take professional help: Sometimes sexual frustration can occur from anxiety, stress and depression. A history of sexual abuse can also restrict you from enjoying it with your partner which results to sexual frustration. Booking an appointment with a sex therapist or a counselor can help you reduce depression and combat sexual frustration. Thus, don’t be afraid or feel inhibitions in seeking professional help.
- Experiment more: If you have been in a relationship with your partner for a long time, it is possible that sex becomes less exciting and intense which leads to sexual frustration. It is important to experiment with sex to spice up your sex life. Try engaging in role play, erotic story-telling and light forms of titillation such as BDSM (Bondage, Dominance and Submission and Masochism) or other role playing techniques.
During menopause, estrogen production slows and then stops. There are a number of changes, which occur in your body during this time. Periods become irregular and then stop. You may have hot flashes, mood swings, a deeper voice and an increase in facial hair. Vaginal dryness is another common symptom of menopause. It becomes even more common after menopause. Vaginal dryness also can occur at any age from a number of different causes. It may seem like just a minor irritation; however, it can be a major problem when it comes to your sex life. Here is everything you need to know about vaginal dryness:
What causes vaginal dryness in women
Even though menopause is the most common cause of vaginal dryness, it can happen at any age and there are various causes of vaginal dryness as well. Here they are;
- Childbirth and Breastfeeding: Childbirth as well as breastfeeding result in lower levels of estrogen and this can lead to vaginal dryness.
- Sjogrens Syndrome: This is an autoimmune disorder in which your immune system attacks the moisture producing cells in your body.
- Douching: Douching is a common practice done by women wherein, they wash their vagina using water and vinegar, knowing little that it can actually cause dryness.
As mentioned earlier, vaginal dryness is caused by a lack of estrogen. Here are some of the ways that estrogen is supplied to your body;
- Vaginal Estrogen Ring: This is a ring inserted into your vagina, which releases a steady stream of estrogen into your vaginal tissues. It needs a replacement, generally after three months.
- Vaginal Estrogen Tablet: A special device called an applicator is used to insert an estrogen tablet into your vagina.
- Vaginal Estrogen Cream: This also needs to be inserted through an applicator. It will be applied daily for the first two weeks after which, it will be applied one to three times a week. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
The cause of erectile dysfunction can be physical, medical, or psychological in nature. Sexual prowess and libido in men are affected by various systems of the body and the mind.
Here's how therapy can help men facing the problem of erectile dysfunction:
Counselling sessions: As with an electrical circuit, if there are any breaks in the system it will not function as a unit. Part of the process of psychosexual therapy would be to think about the actual emotional and/or psychological issues behind ED, and to attend to these with weekly counselling sessions. This realization is an important first step for you to begin and resolve your erection problem. The patient normally implements the therapy advice at home, either alone or with a partner, between therapy sessions. This may help you maintain an erection for once, gradually building confidence.
Non-medical therapies: Watermelon juice (nature's viagra) and ginseng (herbal viagra): l-citrulline, an amino acid, present in watermelon can bring about significant improvement in blood flow to the penis, showing an improvement in erectile function. Another herb called ginseng, specifically 'red ginseng,' is known as the 'herbal viagra' that can improve sexual performance. Several research studies provide evidence for the effectiveness of these herbs in ED treatment.
Acupuncture therapy: The acupuncture needles are placed in the wall of the abdomen. By stimulating specific acupoints, the practitioner aims to restore the proper flow of energy in the body resolving ED.
I am 27 year old and from last 3-4 days my sperm is continuously coming out and I am having body pain. Can anyone suggest me some home treatment.
Stamina in bed is also likely to go down, and you might last much less than before. Women may feel libido loss and loss of sexual longing and dryness in the vagina. The vagina tends to get narrower with old age, and its walls become thin and stiff. Sexual problems and decreased interest or performance spirit due to age happen because of the following factors:
1. Arthritis: joint aches and pain because of arthritis make you unable to be comfortable performing sex. Rest, showers, and changing the position or timing of sexual activity can be useful. Medicines or a surgery will help you get rid of this pain.
2. Pain of any kind: lasting pain of any nature affects your sexual performance. With old age, the body experiences pain due to different reasons and these hamper your sexual life. Medicines for these pains sometimes have side effects, which affect your sexual health.
3. Cardiac diseases: narrowing and solidifying of your arteries can change the blood vessels. This does not allow blood to flow smoothly. Men and women may have issues with having an orgasm. Men may experience difficulty with erections. When your heart is not working properly, you will never be able to perform in bed normally.
4. Dementia: dementia affected people become more sexually interested, but they cannot judge the nature of sexual behavior. Dementia patients lose all kinds of normal senses, but still tend to be sexually attracted to women.
5. Diabetes: diabetes is common among aged people. Diabetes affects your sex life and ed may be caused. Medical measures might fix this disorder. Diabetes inflicted women are likely to get yeast infections in the vagina. This causes irritation and you normally would not have the longing for sex.
Ageing may affect your sexual life and health in many ways, and you cannot change most of the factors.
In order to fulfill your and your partner's desires if must understand them and along with that you need to keep a track of your mental and physical health, so that you can fulfill those desires. There is an increasing number of people with the issue of reduced sexual drive and this being a private matter are not able to come out in the open to discuss it. However, this is an issue that can only be solved by a frank discussion, and when that is done, it might seem like there was no problem in the first place.
Listed below are some things that can lead to a lower sexual drive. It is to be noted that women and men have different reasons leading to reduced libido.
- Reduced hormone levels: The most prominent cause is reduced levels of testosterone and estrogen, which are hormones required for development of sexual characteristics in males and females respectively. The levels can reduce depending on various reasons from hypogonadism to loss of ovaries to psychological stress to medications to drinking and smoking. The first step in managing this would be to establish the fact that there are reduced hormone levels and pin the cause for it. Most people respond almost immediately to replacement therapy. Additionally, in some cases, the cause for reduced hormones can be addressed when identified.
- Physiological problems: Especially in women, if there is painful intercourse, then the drive is naturally reduced. The reason for the pain could be spasms or infection and need to be identified and treated. Psychological constraints are another major reason that most females have painful intercourse. Counselling along with therapy, if required can help these patients.
- Medications: From antidepressants to antihypertensives, though they are meant to cure some medical condition, they lead to some other condition. Drugs like selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), tricyclic antidepressants (TCA), and beta-adrenergic blockers are famous for their ability to reduce libido.
- Lifestyle habits: From smoking to drinking alcohol to junk food to lack of exercise, the effect on libido is very strong. Smoking decreases blood flow in general, which leads to reduced desire.
- Chronic diseases: Whether it is depression or diabetes, hypertension or hyperlipidemia, they all have an indirect effect on the sex drive of a person. Additionally, the constant stress of having to monitor health and maintain a good lifestyle has an effect on the overall health and definitely on the sex drive. In some cases, this could lead to drinking and smoking and use of medications all of which again can affect the sex drive. It goes into a vicious cycle and the patient needs to accept some facts and manage to work around the others.
It is indeed very stressful when a person finds out that he has a low sexual drive. However, it is not impossible to manage with a little help and support, both from the partner and the doctor.
Talking of side effects, do you know that Viagra was originally used for pulmonary hypertension and its side effect was improved performance in patients with erectile dysfunction (ED). Viagra thus, became the famous magical blue pill for patients with ED. On the other hand, there are quite a few drugs that can lower your libido levels.
Listed below are some of the regularly used medicines that can impact your sexual life.
1. Antihypertensives: Medications that are aimed at reducing blood pressure (diuretics and alpha and beta adrenergic blockers) have a negative effect on the sexual life. Switching drugs after medical consultation is an alternate.
2. Antidepressants: With depression on the rise, more and more people are prescribed antidepressants, especially the selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) and Tricyclic Antidepressants (TCAs). Both these increase the mood, but lower the libido, in up to 50% of the patients. Added amount of cardio workout could be a workaround for patients on SSRIs. Reducing the dose of TCAs could help improve sexual function.
3. Proscar: Benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH) is a common condition seen in aging men, and finasteride is used for its treatment. This prevents conversion of testosterone to its active form and thereby, reduces sexual function. Surgical correction of BPH could be an alternative.
4. Antihistamines: Common cold cures like diphenhydramine and chlorpheniramine affect sexual life too. The good news is that these drugs are cleared out of the system within 24 hours and the side effect does not last long either. In patients who might need these chronically, this side effect should be borne in mind.
5. Anti-seizure drugs: Drug like terbetrol which is used to cure seizure does the same for the sexual act, which is physiologically akin to a seizure -impulse traveling slower along the nerve. If noticed, an alternative medication should be used.
6. Opioids: For severe chronic pain, Vicodin and Oxycodone are used, but these reduce testosterone levels and thereby, reduce sexual drive too. Use of testosterone creams could be a substitute.
In all these cases, the key is to have a discussion with your doctor as soon as you realize it could be affecting your sex life.
A recent research had revealed that 45% of men last for a less period of time, that is, only about 2 minutes. This statistic may be quite disappointing, but when it comes to lasting longer in bed, the situation can be improved by following some useful tips.
Here are 3 ways in which you can last longer in bed, and make your sex life more fulfilling:
1. The stop-start technique: this technique is quite useful and has great results. When you start getting stimulated and reach the point of your arousal where you cannot hold on any longer- stop. Stop for about 10 seconds and allow your arousal to subside. Continue to do this for a few times, and then release.
2. The squeeze technique: research has shown that in case you are close to ejaculation, stop and gently squeeze just below the penis head. The pressure is aimed towards the urethra and it helps in repressing your ejaculation.
3. Use desensitizing rubbers: a very effective way to hold back your ejaculation is by wearing desensitizing condoms. These condoms feature a desensitizing lubricant known as benzocaine. But while using a condom, make sure you put it on the right side up or the lubricant will end up affecting your partner's vagina, making sex more difficult.
Certain lifestyle changes have also been found to help improve your sex life. For instance a vegetarian diet and pelvic exercises make you stronger and better in bed.
What causes sexual problems in men?
1.Physical causes: Physical causes of sexual problems in men include heart and vascular diseases, diabetes, hormonal imbalances, chronic kidney or liver failure, neurological disorders and drug abuse. Side effects of certain medications may also affect sexual desire.
2. Psychological causes: This includes stress in daily life due to work pressure, anxiety about sexual performance, depression and even past sexual abuse experiences.
Some of the common sexual problems in men are:
1. Erectile dysfunction
It is the inability to get and maintain an erection which is firm enough for sexual intercourse. Some of the factors that lead to the condition include nerve disorders, atherosclerosis, and anxiety about sexual performance.
2. Premature ejaculation
This refers to the ejaculation that occurs before or after penetration. It often results from nervousness before a sexual performance. Anti-depressants may also affect ejaculation.
Nightfall is a common occurrence which is characterized by involuntary ejaculation while sleeping at night. This is common in adolescents as it marks the onset of their sexual comfort when the body undergoes hormonal changes.
4. Inadequate size of penis
Penis size is a matter of concern for a lot of men. Most of them arise from myths going around in today's day and age. Most men are endowed with a size of the penis that is enough for satisfying their partners sexually while there are a few rare cases where penis enlargement treatment is required.
5. Excessive masturbation
Masturbation is a healthy way of sex outlet and is not harmful in any way. But an excess of anything is bad and it becomes a problem if the habit becomes obsessive.
Orgasms are intensely pleasurable feelings of release caused by sexual excitement and stimulation. Difficulty in achieving orgasm can lead to dissatisfaction and problems in relationships. Orgasmic disorder or dysfunction, sometimes known as anorgasmia, inhibits one's ability to orgasm during sexual intercourse or other sexual activities. Both men and women can suffer from anorgasmia though it is more prevalent in women.
The three types of orgasmic disorders
1. Primary anorgasmia is when you've never had an orgasm
2. Secondary anorgasmia is when you suddenly have difficulty reaching orgasm, even though you've had one earlier.
3. General anorgasmia refers to the condition where you can't orgasm in any situation even with adequate sexual stimulation.
The causes of this disorder can be different for both the sexes. Here are the causes of anorgasmia in men and women:
Causes in women
Female anorgasmia can be caused due to physical or psychological factors or a combination of both. Psychological factors include anxiety about sex, stress, depression, self-esteem issues, fear of losing control in front of your partner, inadequate stimulation and relationship problems. Medical conditions such as diabetes, chronic pelvic pain and injuries to the spine or hormonal disorders and changes are physical factors that may cause anorgasmia.
Causes in men
Male anorgasmia also stems from psychological and physical issues. Medical problems such as diabetic neuropathy, genital surgery, pelvic trauma, spinal cord injuries, thyroid disorders and low testosterone levels can be the reasons for anorgasmia. Depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, stress and relationship issues also affect men just like in women and can be the cause of orgasmic disorder in men.
Other common causes
Those with a history of sexual trauma may particularly suffer from anorgasmia. Cultural and societal beliefs and lack of a safe environment also affect both men and women. Use of antidepressants and other medications have also been seen as a cause of orgasmic disorder in both the sexes. Fear of getting pregnant or getting your partner pregnant may inhibit a sexual response and cause anorgasmia. Substance abuse and alcoholism is a factor affecting both sexes and can lead to orgasmic disorder.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on 'consult'.
Related Tip: 5 Mind Reasons You're Might Not Be Getting an Orgasm
8 amazing health benefits of masturbation
Masturbation can be extremely beneficial to your health and well-being. It doesn't just feel good, it has other benefits too that can vastly improve your health and life.
Here are some reasons why you should masturbate regularly:
1. It boosts your mood
Masturbating releases the hormones oxytocin and dopamine, which improve your mood and give you a natural high. It helps you relax and decreases your stress and anxiety levels.
2. Helps you sleep
Having an orgasm relaxes you physically and mentally, relieves tension and makes you feel satisfied due to the lowering of blood pressure and the release of endorphins. This helps you fall asleep faster and sleep better.
3. Lesser junk food cravings
The release of oxytocin makes us feel happier, lowering emotionally triggered food cravings, which help you make better food choices and avoid unhealthy and fattening 'comfort' food.
4. Relieves cramps
Masturbation can help relieve menstrual cramps. It increases blood flow to your pelvic region and hence eases pain, cramps and backaches.
5. Helps cure urinary tract infection in women
Those suffering from utis can get relief by masturbating as it flushes out bacteria from the cervix.
6. Prevents prostate cancer
Masturbation flushes out the toxin build-up in the urogenital tract, making men who ejaculate frequently three times less likely to develop prostate cancer.
7. May get rid of restless leg syndrome
People who suffer from restless leg syndrome feel a constant need to move their limb, which may cause leg pain and cramps. A publication in 'sleep medicine', a medical journal suggests that sex and masturbation may help relieve symptoms of rls.
8. Boosts your immunity and general health
Ejaculation in males triggers the release of cortisol, a stress hormone. Although stress inducing, experts believe that small doses of this hormone help build your immunity. In women, masturbation is known to improve cervical and cardiovascular health while also reducing the risk of type-2 diabetes.
Related Tip: 6 Common Myths on MASTURBATION, Busted!