Tips To Manage Hyperthyroidism Naturally!
A medical condition that is characterized by an overactive thyroid gland, as a result of which excessive quantities of the thyroxin hormone are secreted, befits the description of hyperthyroidism. As part of the disorder, the patients may experience rapid weight loss, swelling at the lower-end of the neck, tiredness, sleeping troubles, irregularities in heartbeat, nervousness, and undue perspiration. You may treat yourself with natural remedies when diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. However, you must work as per your doctor’s suggestion for treating the disorder. You must avoid self-medication for averting the risk of medical complications. The following are some of the ways by which hyperthyroidism can be managed naturally:
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Omega-3 fats are required in the body for maintaining the health of the immune system and cellular structure. Also, they improve the body’s ability to regulate the thyroid-related hormones. If you are deficient in these nutrients, there is a possibility of suffering from hormonal imbalance, with the inclusion of the thyroid hormones. Therefore, adding foods that rich in the omega-3 fatty acids is beneficial for hyperthyroidism patients. For bridging the nutritional deficiency gap, you should consider adding grass-fed animal-based foods, fish, walnuts, and flaxseeds to your dietary regime.
- Broccoli: Consuming broccoli is advisable for you during the hyperthyroidism treatment period because the food has substances such as goitrogens and isothiocyanates that restrict the thyroid gland from secreting excessive hormones. Consider adding the uncooked variety of broccoli to your diet for recovering in a timely manner from the disorder. Other vegetables that are part of the cruciferous family of vegetables and beneficial for hyperthyroidism victims include radish, kale, mustard greens, turnips, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and rutabaga.
- Antioxidants: Antioxidants are nutrients that are needed in the body for fighting the free radicals that cause oxidative stress and a host of bodily disorders. There is a link between the heightened levels of thyroid hormones and free-radical damage as well as oxidative stress. You should add antioxidants in the diet to enable the body to counter the injurious elements. Consider the addition of fresh fruits and vegetables such as bell peppers, squash, tomatoes, grapes, and berries for enjoying their goodness with respect to their rich antioxidant value. Foods that are sources of nutritional compounds such as magnesium, selenium, vitamin E, beta-carotene, and vitamin C can help you get the required doses of antioxidants.
- Proteins: The intake of protein-rich foods is known to benefit hyperthyroidism patients because they increase muscle mass and strength. This is vital for recovery because your muscles tend to become supple due to an overactive thyroid gland. To get more protein in your diet, you can add one to two tablespoons of whey protein powder to your smoothies before gulping the drink. Moreover, you can increase the consumption of proteins through the intake of plant-based proteins such as yogurt, nuts, beans, seeds, and nut butter. The intake of animal-based proteins, including eggs, the cold water varieties of fish and lean meats, are advisable as well.
- Sea Vegetables: To normalize the functioning of the thyroid gland, the addition of sea vegetables in your diet is recommended because of their iodine-rich nature. The iodine is helpful for restoring thyroid health. Sea-based vegetables such as kombu, sea palm, arame, hijiki, and nori can be added to the diet to recuperate from hyperthyroidism. Also, these vegetables improve your overall health as they are sources of other nutrients such as folates, calcium, the B-complex group of vitamins, iron, and magnesium.
As a part of your hyperthyroidism treatment, you can include berries, Indian gooseberry, and cabbage to your diet as well. They have a favorable effect on the thyroid gland and support the health of the endocrine system. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!