Are your sugar levels often out of range? It means that your diabetes is not controlled. In case of uncontrolled diabetes, blood vessels get damaged, which impacts the circulation of blood. Poor blood flow gradually leads to many complications which can be classified into two categories:
Microvascular complications: It is caused due to damage to small blood vessels. Retinopathy, nephropathy, and neuropathy are few examples of microvascular complications.
Macrovascular complications: It is caused due to damage to larger blood vessels. Cardiovascular diseases and strokes are amongst its major complications.
Common complications that arise due to uncontrolled diabetes
Uncontrolled sugar affects the functioning of all organs, but below are the five major complications that occur because of it.
- Cardiovascular disease: High blood sugar increases the risk of cardiovascular problems like heart failure or stroke.
- Diabetic neuropathy: Due to damage in blood vessels, the blood flow is impacted, which causes harms the nerves. It can lead to gastric problems like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation. Diabetic feet is also one common problem that happens because of diabetic neuropathy.
- Diabetic nephropathy: Damage caused to kidneys, because of uncontrolled diabetes is common. It impacts the functioning of glomeruli, resulting in slow filtration of waste from your blood. It can lead to permanent kidney damage.
- Diabetic retinopathy: Blurred vision or gradual loss of vision due to damage of the retina, is a common side effect of diabetes. It can also lead to other eye problems like cataracts and glaucoma.
- Diabetic dermopathy: Skin problems like itching, dry skin, fungal or bacterial infections, and brown or scaly patches are also common among people with diabetes. A good skin care routine especially, moisturizing is important.
Diabetes can also cause hearing problems, alzheimer's and depression. All this can be avoided with the help of regular check-ups, checking for early signs of any damage and following a healthy lifestyle.