What is the remedy about?
Oral thrush is a kind of yeast infection that tends to develop inside the mouth and on your tongue. The symptoms include a feeling of soreness, redness, having difficulty in swallowing and failing to get the taste. Repeated occurrence of oral thrust is an indication of immune deficiency. There are some simple home remedies that can help to control the infection:
- Salt is considered to be the best option for treating an oral thrush. It not only relieves you from the symptoms, but also manages to create a difficult environment for the fungus. Take half a spoon of salt and mix it in lukewarm water. Use this solution to gargle twice or thrice a day on a regular basis. You can also sprinkle a bit of salt on your tongue and rub it with your finger, and rinse it with water afterwards.
- Yoghurt is another remedy for treating oral thrush. However, you need the unsweetened and plain yoghurt for this purpose. You can have 2 to 3 cups of yoghurt regularly for a few weeks or rub some of it inside your mouth and tongue. Wash it off with warm water after 10-12 minutes.
- Apple cider vinegar comprises of enzymes that helps to boost the immune system, which eventually fights against the infection. Add a small amount of apple cider vinegar and a pinch of salt in a cup of warm water. Rinse your mouth with this solution many times in a day.
- Tea tree oil contains certain antifungal properties that can effectively control the overgrowth of the yeast that causes the infection. Add 4 drops of the tea tree oil in a cup of warm water and gargle with the solution twice a day.
- Cinnamon, with its powerful antifungal and anti- parasitic properties, is another effective remedy for treating oral thrush. Drink cinnamon tea twice in a day on a regular basis.
- The anti-fungal properties present in garlic can help in reducing your oral thrust and boost your immunity. Chew 2 or 3 garlic cloves regularly.
Are there any side effects?
The possible side effects of these home remedies can be:
- Yoghurt contains bacteria that can cause illness in people who have a weak immune system. For example, for people diagnosed with HIV or those who have recently undergone an organ transplant; having yoghurt on a daily basis may be harmful.
- If you are using tea tree oil for treating your oral thrush, ensure that you only gargle with it and not ingest it, as there can be possible side effects.
- It is not recommended for pregnant women to have cinnamon. Also, excessive amounts of it can cause problems in people who have a bad liver condition. If you are under medication for diabetes, blood-thinning or heart problems, there is a possibility that cinnamon can interact with them.
- Consuming raw garlic in large amounts can cause nausea, vomiting, gas, diarrhea, body odour and bad breath.
What are the post-remedy guidelines?
The post remedy guidelines include:
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly, especially after meals.
- Ensure that you brush your teeth and floss at least twice a day.
- Consider having foods that can be swallowed without much difficulty.
- If you wear dentures, make sure that they are cleaned on a regular basis.
- Limit the intake of foods that contain sugar and yeast, as it can encourages the growth of fungus that causes oral thrush.
- Try drinking liquids that are cold, like iced tea or water.
- Quit smoking.
How long does it take to recover?
Normally, an oral thrush lasts for 2 weeks. In some cases, it may last for several weeks. Home remedies are generally quite effective in treating oral thrush. However, if you notice no sign of improvement after practicing the home remedies, you may have to seek medical assistance and consult a doctor.
Are the results of the remedy permanent?
The remedies can cure your oral thrush completely if there are no complications involved. After that, if you take proper care that involves proper cleansing of your teeth as well as your mouth, intake of fermented foods and making your immune system strong; you will be able to prevent oral thrush permanently.
Is there any training or experts required?
The home remedies are simple and effective, and you do not require any expertise or training to carry them out. The ingredients are easily available in the market. In case you have to consume something on a regular basis, you can consult your doctor, especially if you have a medical condition.