What is Erectile Dysfunction (ED)?
When a male faces a problem with getting or keeping an erection during sexual intercourse, while some male has low average erection time (5.4 minutes) or their normal erection time (between minutes to hours). In such condition, he may be suffering from erectile dysfunction (ED). It may result because of an underlying health issue such as heart disease, thus the problem should be discussed with a doctor as soon as possible.
Read more about: How long does an erection last?
What are the symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction occurs gradually with different intensity of symptoms. Initially, the body will be capable of getting an erection, though the sex desire will start reducing. After a while, the erection will not remain as long lasting as it was previously. Lastly, the body will become unable to get an erection at all.
Is erectile dysfunction a mental thing?
If the sufferer cannot come up with any underlying physical condition which can be the potential cause of erectile dysfunction, then it may be a product of mental condition. There are a variety of psychological causes for erectile dysfunction.
Some of them can be:
- Relationship Problem
- Porn Addiction
- Performance Anxiety
- Low Self Esteem
- These conditions can be a big reason for a poor performance and may be recurring in nature.
Is erectile dysfunction permanent?
Erectile Dysfunction is not permanent. The curability of Erectile Dysfunction depends on its causes. Some causes are easier to treat than others.
If the sufferer goes through his underlying cause carefully, he can treat himself by opting the correct methods and measures and can avoid medications and surgeries.
What causes Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction’s causes are segregated in two sections as Physical and Psychological Causes.
- Physical Causes: In terms of physicality, ED occurs due mainly due to a reduction in blood flow and blood pressure. Conditions such as high cholesterol, Heart disease, high blood pressure and atherosclerosis affects the bloodstream to the penis. Moreover, damaged blood vessels and nerves also cause ED, which happens from disorders like Diabetes.
- Psychological Causes: Sexual traumas also occur due to Psychological issues. As the arousal initiates from the brain, psychological problems become a major reason for erectile dysfunction. The mental issues such as anxiety and depression affect the libido which results in ED.
How is Erectile Dysfunction diagnosed?
Doctor diagnose ED with the help of some tests, which are as follows:
- Physical test: This examination incorporates a glance on the penis & testicles along with a check on the sensation of nerves
- Blood tests: The Blood test is done in order to find any indications of diabetes, low testosterone levels, coronary illness, and other wellbeing conditions.
- Urine tests: similar to the blood tests, pee tests are utilized to search for indications of diabetes and other fundamental wellbeing conditions.
- Ultrasound: Ultrasound is usually performed by a specialist. A wandlike gadget (transducer) to give a rain check on veins that supply the penis. This device makes a video picture from which the specialist checks whether the person has a bloodstream issue.
- Psychological exam: In this procedure, the specialist converses with the patient to recognize any sign of depression or any psychological glitch that causes ED.
How Erectile Dysfunction treated?
As per the causes and extent of the problem the doctor will recommend a type of treatment which may include:
- Oral medication: Oral medication may include drugs like Viagra, Cialis, Stendra, and Levitra. These enhance the nitric oxide effect in the body, thus improving blood flow in the penis. The dosage of the medicines will vary from individual to individual. These medicines do not aid in an immediate erection, as they aren’t aphrodisiacs. Some form of sexual stimulation is necessary to trigger the release of nitric oxide and cause an erection.
- Psychological counselling: It is recommended to men who are suffering from stress, anxiety and low self-esteem may also lead to ED. Counselling effectively helps men to solve their mental health issues and overcome ED.
- Muse therapy: A special applicator is used to insert a small alprostadil suppository into the penile urethra. This should be inserted into the penis before intercourse. It takes about 10 minutes for the medicine to do its work and the erection may last from 30 minutes to 60 minutes.
- Testosterone replacement: This treatment is recommended for men who suffer from ED because of low levels of testosterone. The replacement of testosterone is generally done through injection or application of a patch. It may also be taken in gel or gum form.
- Penis pump: A vacuum erection device is situated just over the penis. The hollow tube is generally battery powered or hand powered. Once the pump is placed it removes the air from inside the device, creating a vacuum that triggers blood flow to the penis resulting in an erection. A tension ring is then placed at the penis base to keep the erection in place. The ring should be removed once intercourse is done.
- Penile implantation: It is done through a surgical procedure in which the implants are located on two sides of a man’s penis. The implants may either be inflatable rods or semi-rigid rods. This form of treatment is very rare and is done only after other types of ED treatment have failed.
Who needed treatment for ED?
Erectile dysfunction can affect men at any age. Usually, older men tend to face this problem more than younger men. Men of all age can seek treatment for ED. The treatment for ED generally depends on the diagnosis and will vary from individual to individual.
Who is not eligible for the treatment?
Depending on the health and certain other factors a doctor will advise a certain form of treatment to cure ED. While a type of treatment like oral medication may work for one patient, another may require surgery.
What is the fastest way to cure erectile dysfunction?
There can be several issues which can lead to erectile dysfunction. Not being able to have an erection or maintain it for a long period of time may lead to other disorders. Erectile dysfunction can be cured and men can get their sexual power back.
There are various ways in which we can treat this situation. There are techniques like Intracavernosal Pharmaceutical & PulseWave RX therapies.
These are the remedies that are really quick and effective and can help the man to restore his erectile power and lasting erections and thereby boosting his confidence.
Do bananas help erectile dysfunction?
Yes, Banana helps erectile dysfunction. Not only bananas, there are various fruits such as Watermelon and papaya which helps increase erectile power of the body.
These fruits are augmented with high protein and these fruits dilate arterioles which leads to a smooth flow of blood. This helps in treating erectile dysfunction.
What are the side effects of erectile dysfunction treatment?
Treatment for ED is safe, but there may be few side effects such as:
- Oral medication can lead to headaches, backache, changes in vision and stomach problems.
- Self-injections can result in pain around the area where the needle is injected, bleeding and development of fibrous tissue around the injected area.
- Side effects of muse therapy include slight urethral bleeding, pain and fibrous tissue formation.
- Surgery as a treatment for ED is very rare and can lead to severe complications like infection.
How long does it take to recover?
Treatment for ED is generally in the form of oral medication which needs to be taken according to prescribed guidelines. Recovery after penile surgery takes about 2 to 4 weeks. One can resume sexual activity in about 6 weeks’ time. In the case of ED due to stress or anxiety, individuals seek psychotherapy and recovery as and when they distress and learn to relax.
Will erectile dysfunction go away?
Erectile Dysfunction can be treated. The way of treatment can be with the medication or surgery, depending upon the severity of the situation. Sometimes the sufferer can treat the underlying symptoms of the disease, and by extension, the disease itself without having any medicine.
Sometimes men opt for traditional methods rather than going for medicines and surgeries. They use penis pump and create a suction to bring the blood towards the penis. This makes the penis erect.
What is the cost of erectile dysfunction treatment in India?
The cost of treating ED varies upon the kind of treatment one is seeking. It generally ranges from Rs 25,000 to 40,000 and even more in some cases.
Are the results of the treatment permanent?
While effects of surgery and penile implants may be permanent, oral medication needs to be taken as and when a male who suffers from ED wants to indulge in intercourse.
What are the alternatives to the treatment?
A number of alternative treatment for ED are also available. These include:
- Nutritional supplements
- Herbal medication
- Group therapy
Is ED reversible?
The reversibility of erectile dysfunction depends on the intensity or the type of ED a person is suffering with. Doctors have segregated the ED in two categories, primary ED and secondary ED.
- Primary ED is a condition, where the person was unable to sustain an erection in his entire life. This condition is very rare and can’t be cured.
- Secondary ED is a condition in which a person had functioning erections earlier but now is unable to arouse due to some physical and psychological issues. This condition is commonly found in many people. Secondary ED is reversible by treating it with medication or surgery along with a great diet and sound lifestyle.
What is the best vitamin for erectile dysfunction?
Deficiency of plenty of vitamins causes erectile dysfunction. Some of them are as follows:
- L-arginine and pycnogenol: These vitamins help in triggering relaxation in arteries and veins and regulating blood flow to the penis for an appropriate erection.
- Zinc: Zinc mineral helps in increasing the testosterone hormone level in men’s body and also helps for the treatment of ED Symptoms positively.
- DHEA: Many doctors prescribe dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) for ED. DHEA helps in improving erectile dysfunction by provocating blood vessels which results in increased blood flow.
- Vitamin D: In a research, it was found that men who are deficient of vitamin D have 32 % more chance of getting ED than those who are not deficient.
- Flavonoid-rich foods: Foods which are rich in flavonoids also help in reducing erectile dysfunction.
What is the best natural remedy for erectile dysfunction?
- Ginkgo: It expands bloodstream to the penis, which eventually improves sexual want and ED. though, this remedy may build a bleeding issue. For a person who takes blood thinners or suffering from bleeding diseases, it is advised to consult a doctor before using Ginkgo
- Ginseng: There are numerous sorts of ginseng accessible in the market. Most of them are considered Helpful for ED. It is advised to take Ginseng in a controlled amount as it also causes sleeping disorder if taken in large quantity.
- Yohimbine: The main component of African tree bark, yohimbine is probably one of the most problematic of all-natural remedies for ED. Some research suggests that yohimbine can improve a type of sexual dysfunction that is linked with a drug used to treat depression.
- Yohimbine: This primary part of African tree husk is known to treat depression which is also a cause of erectile dysfunction. It is considered the most effective remedy for ED.
- Horny goat weed: These leaves contain vitamins which enhance sexual performance. Taking this herb in large quantity can cause heart dysfunction.