Type 2 diabetes and Erectile Dysfunction may appear as different ailments but they do have a connection. Reports suggest men suffering from Type 2 diabetesare likely to experience Erectile Dysfunction. Moreover, diabetic people suffer from Erectile Dysfunction 10 to 15 years earlier than others.
Reason: The reason behind the connection between the two ailments is quite complex. The whole scenario involves deterioration in nerves, muscle functioning and blood vessels. For successful penetration of penis, body requires healthy functioning of blood vessels, nerves, hormones and sexual desire. Type-2 diabetes hamper the proper functioning of these blood vessels and nerves, thus posing a potential threat to a successful sexual intercourse. Diabetes becomes a big obstacle in obtaining a firm erection. Also, non-regulated flow of blood through these blood vessels adds up to the problem.
Given below are few suggestions which, if followed, can bring your sex life back on track.
Follow the above suggestions and choose a healthy lifestyle for a safe and pleasing sex life.
The debate about how sex affects sportspersons has been there for a very long time, but it is its reverse which is somehow more applicable. Research has shown that regularly engaging in sports or other physical activities such as exercising can have some really positive effects on your sex life. This has got to do mostly with improved metabolic activity in the cells from the increased motion and exercise.
Research suggests that engaging in exercise, sports and other physical activities result in an increase in flexibility and agility among people, thus aiding sexual prowess and performance. Also, it boosts levels of self-confidence, thus allowing you to believe that you are sexually desirable, (due to increased levels of fitness and toned musculature) which in turn also positively affects sexual capability- in providing higher levels of satisfaction to your partners. Apart from these, there are several other factors of sexuality that are also improved due to engaging in sports or exercise, like:
• Decreased risks of Erectile Dysfunction (ED): One of the most essential benefits of engaging in sports and exercise is that it lowers the risk of erectile dysfunction in men, due to an increased level of blood flow into your penis as a result of widening of the arteries. In this regard, research also suggests that you don't necessarily need to be overly fit or sporting to reduce chances of ED - even a brisk half hour walk works wonders.
• Improved quality of semen: Research has found that if you exercise or are engaged in some rigorous sporting activity for at least 15 hours per week, you will have higher sperm counts than your inactive counterparts.
• Increased libido: High levels of exercise pumps up testosterone levels in men and estrogen levels in women, which leads to better muscle growth and an increased sex drive in both sex.
• Increased chances of achieving orgasm in women: If you work out frequently, then the process of arousal works quicker for you and chances of orgasm is faster and with higher intensity, it gets increased exponentially.
• Heightened sensitivity: In women, the clitoris contains over 8000 nerve endings, which makes it very sensitive to stimulation, and increases arousal exponentially. Increased physical activity heightens the effect of this stimulus and makes sexual stimulation much more pleasurable.
Type-2 diabetes and erectile dysfunction may appear as different ailments but they do have a connection. Reports suggest men suffering from Type-2 diabetes are likely to experience Erectile Dysfunction. Moreover, diabetic people suffer from Erectile Dysfunction 10 to 15 years earlier than others.
The reason behind the connection between the two ailments is quite complex. The whole scenario involves deterioration in nerves, muscle functioning and blood vessels. For successful penetration of penis, body requires healthy functioning of blood vessels, nerves, hormones and sexual desire. Type-2 diabetes hamper the proper functioning of these blood vessels and nerves, thus posing a potential threat to a successful sexual intercourse. Diabetes becomes a big obstacle in obtaining a firm erection. Also, non-regulated flow of blood through these blood vessels adds up to the problem.
Factors Contributing to Erectile Dysfunction due to Diabetes-
Complexities due to Type-2 diabetes increases exponentially when aided with following risk factors-
Remedy : Given below are few suggestions which, if followed, can bring your sex life back on track.
Follow the above suggestions and choose a healthy lifestyle for a safe and pleasing sex life.
Though in case of young men the problem of dysfunction and intimate arousal is not so common, men aged over 40 take longer time to feel aroused, which can be really problematic at times. There are many factors that contribute to erectile dysfunction, including poor lifestyle, medications and untreated physical complications.
Many men battle to understand when and why they are facing these sexual hazards, but it is an ailment that requires medical aid. However, you can also reduce them with a few lifestyle changes.
If you are able to maintain your erection at about 75% of the time, then your erectile dysfunction is based on situational issues and not on biological problems. Regardless of the reasons behind your erectile dysfunction or lack of sexual arousal, you can try these few tips for managing these issues that may take a toll on your private relationships.
Premature ejaculation or early ejaculation is the expelling of semen with minimum sexual stimulation, almost immediately after (or sometimes before) sexual penetration. This is a common sexual problem for men below the age of 45 in addition to erectile dysfunction.
Premature ejaculation can be a result of several physical and psychological factors. If the root cause is not serious, the problem can be solved by a few simple techniques, such as:
1. Breathing exercises
Relaxation techniques like breathing exercises and meditative practices can help you to concentrate. It also moderates the tension and stress levels which are directly related to arousal. Avoid short and rapid breaths as they can put undue pressure on the heart and increase the pulse rate. This often results in early ejaculation. On the other hand, if you take deep breaths and practice holding them in for three to five seconds, you can also use the technique during arousal.
2. Kegel exercises
Kegel exercises can help both men and women with their sexual problems. In men, these help to strengthen the pubococcygeus muscle by repeated contraction and relaxation. The pubococcygeus muscle helps to control urination too. If you use the same technique when you are close to an orgasm, you can delay your ejaculation.
3. Squeeze technique
This technique is used to reduce excessive and rapid rate of arousal. When you are close to orgasm, you can squeeze the base of the penis to curb the erection somewhat so that it can build up again. This will automatically delay ejaculation. It is a good idea to practice this technique on your own first and then try it with your partner.
4. Stop and start exercise
This exercise was perfected by the Masters and Johnson team of sexual research. This technique is also to be practiced individually for the first few times. You can masturbate alone and stop just before reaching the climax. You can practice this again and again by bringing yourself closer to ejaculation every time until the point you cannot control or regulate the process any more. This will help you to know the limit till which you can stop and regulate the ejaculation process. You can then use this technique during sexual activity with your partner.
5. Reduce stress
The stress hormones in your body prevent the secretion of testosterone which is responsible for your sex drive. Alcohol, tobacco or nicotine and other illegal drugs used to combat stress can also have an adverse effect on your sexual arousal and cause premature ejaculation.
If you cannot get an erection or if your erection isn't firm enough for sex, then you are suffering from Erectile Dysfunction (ED). If the troubles are persistent, then it is a serious cause of concern. You can take a look at the symptoms of ED listed here:
a. You find it troublesome getting an erection or keeping one firm enough for sex.
b. Your sexual desire is reduced and along with it, you experience other sexual problems which might include ejaculatory dysfunction.
a. There can be physical causes, like:
b. If you are a heavy drinker, then you have cause for concern.
c. There can also be psychological causes, like:
a. An efficient way of treating ED is homeopathy. This includes mainly two ways in which homeopathy can be used to address the disorder:
The pituitary gland is a small, pea-sized attached to the base of the brain. It controls growth, functioning and development of other hormonal glands. Deficit of one or more pituitary hormones is a state of Hypopituitarism. This clinical term is used by endocrinologists to mean that one or more pituitary glands are deficient. In hypopituitarism, the pituitary gland does not produce the normal amounts of hormones.
Hypopituitarism has the following causes—
Sarcoidosis (A lung disorder)
Tumours in the pituitary gland
Tumours in hypothalamus (Controls the production of hormones)
Histiocytosis X (A rare autoimmune disease where the immune cells damage the organs)
Sheehan syndrome (Excessive blood loss during childbirth)
Lymphocytic hypophysitis (An inflammation in the pituitary gland)
Radiation treatments like chemotherapy
Symptoms depend on which hormones is not being produced.
Low sodium levels
Loss of weight
Thyroid-stimulating Hormone (TSH): Deficient TSH mostly affects the thyroid (produces growth-regulating hormones) gland. The symptoms are—
Luteinizing hormone (LH): Low luteinizing hormone in women affects their ovaries and ovulation. Symptoms include-
In men, lack of LH affects their testes and sperm production. Symptoms include-
Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH): This hormone affects men and women the same way the luteinizing hormone does. Thus the symptoms are the same.
Growth Hormone: In children, the growth hormone affects their bone, fat and muscle. They have the following symptoms—
Lack of height
Increase in body fat
Abnormal peak bone mass (bone tissue present after the skeleton matures)
In adults, the whole body is affected. Body fat increases while muscle and bone mass decreases.
Antidiuretic Hormone (ADH): The kidneys are affected by lack of ADH. Symptoms include—
Feeling excess thirst
Oxytocin: Lactation and childbirth are affected by lack of oxytocin.
Yoga helps you beat erectile dysfunction (ed) through stress relief, improved blood flow which is essential for stronger and long-lasting erections, and other mechanisms that scientists are now beginning to elucidate.
If you want to beat ED, study says yoga poses as an effective, natural, and inexpensive solution. We bring you seven poses to try.
1. Boat pose (naukasana)
Boat pose activates sexual hormones in men and helps you last longer between the sheets by strengthening your hips, buttocks, and thigh muscles. It belongs to one of the basic yoga poses due to its simplicity. Here’s how to do it:
• lie on the back with arms beside your body and feet together
• inhale and as you’re exhaling start lifting your chest and feet off the ground
• stretch your arms toward your feet
• your eyes, fingers, and toes should be in a straight line, but at first, it might be easier for you to keep them at knee height
• maintain the pose for a few seconds while taking a deep breath
• exhale and return to the starting position
2. Plank (kumbhakasana)
Plank is one of the most beneficial poses or exercises, you can do and it happens to combat ed. Improved endurance during the sexual performance and upper body strength are additional benefits of this useful pose. To maximize your effort, combine plank with one of the top male enhancement pills for super strong and hard erections. Here’s how to get into this posture:
• begin with the kneeling position with hands resting on your thighs
• bend forward with hands on the floor right in front of you
• raise the buttocks with knees still on the ground
• slide both feet backward and raise your knees making sure that your head, trunk, back, and legs are forming a straight line
• don’t bend your knees and elbows
• maintain the pose for a few seconds and release
3. Raised leg pose (uttanpadasana)
This particular yoga posture provides an intense workout to your core and engages glutes and quadriceps. As a result, you last longer in bed, particularly in the missionary position. Raised leg pose stretches the psoas and the hip flexor muscles, thus boosting your energy levels and increasing blood flow to the pelvic area, thus helping you beat ed. To make this pose, you should:
• lie flat on the back and breathe normally
• place hands by your sides with palms facing down
• inhale and lift the legs from the ground at about 45 to 60-degree angle
• hold the posture for 15-20 seconds
• exhale and return to the starting position
4. Seated forward bend (paschimottanasana)
Seated forward bend is yet another pose that combats ed and helps you last longer in bed. It does so by improving your endurance and strength while targeting perineal muscles, the group of muscles found between scrotum and anus. Here are the instructions:
• sit straight with legs extended and toes flexed towards you
• inhale as you’re raising arms over your head
• exhale and bend forward moving the chin towards your toes
• stretch out your arms and try to let them reach the furthest they can (preferably all the way to your toes) without making it feel uncomfortable or too painful
• inhale, lift your head and elongate the spine
• exhale while trying to bring the navel to your knees
• remain in that position for a few seconds and release
5. Bow pose (dhanurasana)
One of the most important characteristics of bow pose is the stimulation of reproductive organs. Besides ed, bow pose tackles premature ejaculation and intensifies your orgasms. To get into the bow pose, you should:
• lie on the stomach with feet hip-width apart and arms at your sides
• raise your legs so that feet are facing the direction of your head and hold your ankles
• inhale while lifting the chest off the floor
• pull your legs up and back
• stay in this position for 15-20 seconds and release
6. Half camel pose (ardha ustrasana)
Half camel pose improves your digestion and helps you tone the entire body. Also, it has a beneficial impact on a man’s urogenital system. In order to get into this incredibly simple pose, you should:
• being with kneeling position with hands on your thighs and knees apart
• rise up with arms beside your body
• hold the left ankle with right hand and stretch left arm in front of the head, like you’re pointing something at the horizon
• stay in this position for 30 seconds
• return to the initial pose and switch sides
7. Half moon pose (ardha chandrasana)
With this pose, you can improve stamina and endurance as well as tone your entire body. As you already know, stamina and endurance are crucial for your sexual health and performance which is why enhancement pills like endovex provide ed relief as well as a boost in endurance, strength, and other factors vital to your sex life. So, here’s the process:
• stand straight on your mat and bring right foot back so that you are at a low lunge with left leg
• your hands should be framing your left foot
• bring right hand to your right hip
• lift up right foot
• straighten your left leg out behind you
• rotate your right hip back stacking it on top of the left hip
• extend right hand toward the sky
• maintain this position for 5 deep breaths
• return to the starting position
Yoga isn’t just for women; it benefits male sexual health as well. Yoga improves your endurance, increases blood flow, and strengthens muscles thus allowing you to improve your sexual performance in a natural manner.
Ginger: Ginger is used widely in alternative medicine for its antioxidant anti-inflammatory properties.
Cinnamon: Cinnamon stimulate the production of sperm and testosterone, to improve sexual functioning.
watermelon seed; watermelon seed extracts have antioxidant properties and can protect sperm.
Aloe Vera: Aloe vera extracts may be useful for treating sexual dysfunctions as it can stimulate cell division.
Nutmeg: Nutmeg used to treat sexual dysfunction in males.
Clove: Clove extracts are another traditional aphrodisiac used in Unani medicine.
The discipline of oncosexology has emerged in recent times with the idea of spreading the awareness of sexual issues in oncology care and emphasizes on the importance of approaching these issues to prevent the development of severe sexual dysfunctions or problems. Although the rate of sexual problems in cancer patients is reported to be around 35-50% worldwide, and despite the fact that both cancer care providers and patients recognize the weight of discussing sexual issues, it is unfortunate that neither group are observed to do so.
Impact of Cancer on sexual functioning
It is invariably true for all cancer treatment options that they can potentially affect sexuality in a negative way with their impact, ranging from comparatively clement to extremely enfeebling. The impact on sexuality may arise from a number of biological, psychological and relational consequences of cancer and more than often, a composition of bio-psycho-social factors are involved. While men suffered from erectile dysfunction, retrograde ejaculations and loss of sexual desire, in women, sexual dysfunction is commonly associated with abrupt failure of ovaries and its related menopausal symptoms. Psychologically, the differences in dealing with emotions and feelings of disappointment can cause anxiety, which, in turn, can steer towards sexual distancing.
Steering towards sexual activity during/after treatment
Most patients remain oblivious to the very idea of oncosexology as a result of lack of awareness about possible treatments and its mode of addressal. Maintaining a healthy sexual relationship in such cases requires support and encouragement from healthcare professionals. Oncosexology, therefore, aims at a well rounded integration of sexual rehabilitation in the context of oncology care since sexuality is indeed extremely important in enhancing the quality of life.
Cancer patients can use the following tips for having a better sex life:
1. Sexual activity largely depends upon the energy and comfort level between the partners affected by the disease. Inhibitions are natural and sexual activity needn't involve intercourse or oral sex alone. Foreplay, mutual masturbation and usage of vibrators and lubrications may also ease the pain and discomfort.
2. Partners need to communicate openly about their feelings and what feels good and what doesn't in bed.
3. Using protection is a must. Chemotherapy may persist in the semen 48-72 hours prior to treatment.
4. Explore with different positions in order to find what's best for both you and your partner if the usual ones seem painful.
5. Speak to a sexologist or sex therapist beforehand in order to have a clear picture about the possible consequences of your treatment on your sexuality.
6. Coping with body image concerns may also pose to be another challenge. Exercising and eating well improves health and boosts self esteem.