Why I feel so much pain in outer thighs and hip after doing hamstring stretch. I have l5-s1 herniated disc so my physio suggest stretching exercise. But after doing hamstring stretch I feel so much pain in outer thighs like swelling.

Dear lybrate-user, as you mentioned you have l5 s1 herniated disc. Also, you mentioned that hamstring stretch increases your pain in thighs and hip. Which show that exercise you are doing is aggravating your symptoms. Any disc herniation increases as you bend forward and if you are doing hamstring stretch in sitting or standing touching your toes definitely it will increase your disc bulge and cause compression of nerve. So it will lead to increase in pain. I suggest you to stop immediately hamstring stretch way you are doing. Yes there are alternate ways to stretch hamstring without bending your back. You can google exercise for hamstring stretch without bending back. My suggestions for you is, 1. Not to stand for a long time and if you have to stand than take rest that is lay down for 5 10 min in between every 30 min 2. Most important is: do back extension exercise. 3. Avoid heavy weight lifting for 2 weeks 4. Avoid bending forward (back flexion) try this for the week if you are getting improvement than continue for next 3 week also thank you.
Spine instability often causes tension in the hamstring, the large muscle that runs down back of the thigh, thigh hamstring can pull on the lower back, increasing pain and discomfort, exercise for pain relief r pelvic tilt, crunches, double knee to chest, multifidus activation, hamstring stretch.