My dad is suffering from GI junction cancer with liver Mets from Feb 2016. Had 3 cycle of chemotherapy where his numbers and size of tumours reduced by 30 percent. Then after 2 more cycles it reduced by more 50 percent. Then in the month of December it increased by 33 percent. Again dctr advised for chemo. After 3 cycles it reduced slightly but pleural effusion and ascites are seen. Again after 3 cycle secondary cancer increased. Pleural effusion increased. Ascites increased. My question how after chemo cancer is increasing? What are the chances of survival here.

Hi, by your description I understand that your dad was diagnosed in stage 4 metastatic state. Initially he had responded to the first line chemotherapy but later he is progressing and not responding to chemotherapy. Any treatment given for cancer is to control the disease but there is no 100% cure. When there is metastatic cancer, the prognosis not that good. Due to nature of disease there would be variation from person to person for responding to chemotheraoy or any treatment. As there is inadequate information regarding the investigations done on patient, chances of survival and any other medicines such as targetted therapy cannot be commented.
HI lybrate-user, As per your history disease of GI Junction with Liver metastasis, I Presume you want to say about GE junction, Post 2 lines of Chemotherapy and progressive. The overall picture is not happy, it will be advisable to meet the surgical Oncologist if I assume the ascites and pleural effusion is not disease related. If Ascites and Pleural effusion are disease related, which is more a possibility as per case scenario, there are limited options. One vital option would be targeted therapy, with Herceptin if not already instituted in case of Her 2 +ve cancer. Overall with limited information, I feel the picture is quite gloomy. Having said that, ultimate power is GOD, so don't lose hope and Keep fighting. Good luck.