Doctors in Shri Mahavir Clinic
Patient Review Highlights
I consulted a number of specialists but the way she treated me was the best. The symptoms were severe and unmanageable, as I was suffering from diabetes, but my Pooja Singhal was able to handle it through herdiet. Pooja Singhal is really like god send person. They took very nice care of me, i never felt that I am in a Shri Mahavir Clinic. On the very first day she identified my problem. The entire Shri Mahavir Clinic is very nicely designed. I am almost my normal self post the treatment and for that my Pooja Singhal is the reason.
Her advice and counselling has helped me immensely. Even though my problem was very big, the entire experience of undergoing weight loss treatment was very relaxing. In the past i consulted so many doctors, but nobody was able to help me with my weight loss, but she has helped me immensely. The overall cleanliness in the Shri Mahavir Clinic was amazing. I have consulted so many doctors but nobody till now was able to understand my concern properly, until i consulted Pooja Singhal.
she is very patient with all her patients. Shelly Gupta has so much knowledge that for every small issue, my family takes her reference. I feel strange that I am suffering from blister. the dr Gupta Dental Clinic is designed in such a manner that all requirements of patients are taken care of. the dr Gupta Dental Clinic was equipped with various facilities. her treatment suited me the best and now I am fine.
I was shocked when i got to know that I needed gum treatment. The staff was very attentive to my needs. Our family physician personally recommended this Dr.Shelly Gupta. It's been more than a year now, and I am totally satisfied. The dr Gupta Dental Clinic is decorated very nicely and doesn't look like a hospital. The guidance Shelly Gupta gave me has helped me immensely with my situation.
All of sudden I developed this tooth pain and didn't know what to do. Atlast I chose to consult Dr Shelly. She is quite knowledgeable dentist and has a great experience. She is not just friendly, but also is very motivating. She gave me root canal treatment which helped me laot. I owe her a big thank for the treatment. She is realy a sweet doctor.
Due to smoking, the condition of my teeths degraded. I consulted Dr Shelly who is a well knowledgeable dentist in New Delhi. With the help of her treatment, i have improved a lot. I owe her a big thank for the treatment he offered. She is really a sweet doctor. And I appreciate the way she treats her patients.
One of my colleague referred me to Dr Pooja Singhal. Never once that I felt that she is getting impatient, rather she has always responded to my each and every doubt with immense patience. she has so much knowledge that for everything my family takes her reference. she gave me a treatment to lose weight.
Thanks to Dr Pooja for the underactive thyroid treatment. I am quite benefitted with her treatment. She is really a ptient listener. She asked me number of questions in order to know the problem and then started the treatment. Her treatment helped me in recovery and now I am not facing any such problem.
I was suffering from suger problem due to which I was really very tensed. I prefer to consult a dietician also in order to improve my diet which will be helpful in my sugar treatment. Dr Pooja helped me alot in this. Her guidance and treatment played an important role to improve my condition.
She is one of the best physicians in city. The lab in the Shri Mahavir Clinic was very clean and well managed. One of my cousin's referred to Pooja Singhal. On the very first day she identified my problem. Both Pooja Singhal and staff were very helpful. i took a gain weight treatment.
Thanks to the expert care and guidance, I feel much better than before. Our family physician personally recommended Dt. Pooja Singhal. Even after my treatmentwith my old doctor, I never felt so much relief, but Pooja Singhal has treated me completely with her weight loss counselling.
I was quite worried about my small penis size. With the ayurvedic treatment I chose to consult a dietician too. I visited Dr Pooja. She gave me a proper diet and with the help of this, I could see the satisfactory results. I am happy that I consulted a dietician too.
I thank Dr Shelly for the root canal treatment he provided. I must say that the Dr Gupta's Dental clinic has all the amenities which patient requires. He is a well knowledgeable and experienced dentist and I am quite benefitted with his root canal treatment.
dr Shelly Gupta is really a god send person for me. He healed my problem of Anorexia.I am so thankful to her as she has given me the best advice and I am now finally able to get back to my normal self.she can be consulted at dr Gupta Dental Clinic in Delhi.
I thank Dr Shelly for the root canal treatment he provided. I must say that the Gupta Dental clinic has all the amenities which patient requires. She is a well knowledgeable and experienced dentist and I am quite benefitted with her root canal treatment.
dr Shelly Gupta diagnosed the problem of my anal Fissure very quickly and helped me calm down, then I went for tests. She was very professional about her approach and advice. I consulted her at dr Gupta Dental Clinic in Delhi.
I was suffering from Hypocalcaemia for which I chose to consult a Dietician, Dr Pooja Singhal. she is quite knowledgeable in this field and her treatmnet benefitted me to great extent. I owe her a big thank for the treatment.
Dr. Pooja Singhal provides answers that are very helpful. Ok and thanks
Anemia (or anaemia) is a medical condition which generally occurs in a human body because of the lack of required healthy red blood cells (RBCs) or hemoglobin in the blood. Diagnosis of anemia is done through a blood test, a man is anemic when his hemoglobin level is less than 13.5 gram/100 ml and a woman is anemic when her hemoglobin level is less than 12.0 gram/100 ml.
Risk factors: People suffering from long-term or chronic diseases such as cancer are more susceptible of developing anemia. Hemoglobin is the salient constituent of red blood cells and is an iron rich protein. It provides the red color to the blood and binds oxygen. Red blood cells carry this oxygen to all the vital tissues and organs of the body. Due to lack of appropriate amount of red blood cells, the amount of blood required in a body to function normally is also low. One of the most prominent causes of occurrence of anemia is the deficiency of required amount of nutritional iron, vitamin B-12, and folate in the body. This iron is needed for the formation of hemoglobin. Apart from these causes, the other causes of anemia comprise of the following:
- Loss of blood
- Insufficient production of red blood cells (inadequate intake of iron, vitamin B-12)
- Fast rate of destruction of red blood cells (disorders of liver and hemorrhage)
Diagnosis: It is relatively easy to detect an anemic person. The symptoms of anemia include pale appearance, complaint of cold, giddiness, unsteadiness, laziness, particularly when the person is in action or is standing up. Sometimes people suffering from anemia crave for eating clay, ice, or even dirt. Also, there are complains of exhaustion along with issues of constipation and concentration. Other indications of anemia are brittle nails, gasps for breath even in mild activities, and pain in the chest. Since the level of oxygen in the blood is low, there could be even scope of a heart attack.
A person suffering from anemia is usually diagnosed on the basis of a complete blood count. The blood test brings out if serum folate levels are quite low. In case the anemia is severe, sometimes doctors take the help of erythropoietin injections so as to foster the production of red blood cells in the bone marrow. In case there is bleeding or if the level of hemoglobin is low, it might become essential to carry out blood transfusion.
Treatment: Anemia is straightforward to diagnose and treat, but at the same time could prove to be deadly if it is left undiagnosed. Proper heed should be paid to the intake of adequate and required food which is rich in vitamins and minerals, dietary iron, folic acid, including other vitamins and minerals.
Diet For Anemia
With any newly diagnosed medical condition, it’s common to begin looking at the best ways to improve your situation. Diet usually comes up as one of those factors that can be altered fairly easily in order to help your condition. In the case of anemia, there’s a wide list of iron-rich foods you should think about adding to your diet.
1. Red meat
5. Whole grain bread
6. Peanut butter
Foods to Avoid if You Have Anemia
1. Phytate-Rich Foods
4. Calcium-Rich Foods
Fruits High in Iron
When it comes to fruits for anemia, your best bet is to look for fruits that are high in iron.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Typhoid is as an acute illness commonly characterized by high fever and an impaired digestive system. This illness is caused by the bacterium ‘Salmonella Typhi’ and generally spreads from one person to another by means of food or water.
Causes of typhoid
- Salmonella Typhi, the bacterium responsible for typhoid, primarily spreads on consumption of unhygienic street food and water.
- Typhoid can also occur as a result of a poor sanitation system. In these cases, the bacterium spreads through fecal matters and the contaminated urine of the infected person.
- Typhoid can also spread if you share the same food and water consumed by the infected person.
The symptoms generally appear within 1-3 weeks, after coming in contact with the already infected individual. The ensuing fever and discomfort remains for about 3-4 weeks. The symptoms are:
- Severe headache and loss of appetite
- High fever
- Severe discomfort in the whole body coupled with pain in the abdomen area
- Diarrhea or constipation
- A dry cough and appearance of rashes
However, in most of the cases, the symptoms tend to improve from the third week itself.
The following treatments can be implemented in order to cure typhoid fever:
- Doctors generally recommend a prescribed dosage of antibiotics in order to deal with the disease.
- Along with the prescribed dosage of antibiotics, the doctors recommend balanced consumption of various fluids such as natural fruit juices and water to restore hydration. A healthy diet packed with all the essential nutrients is another necessity that has to complement the dosage of antibiotics.
- Choice of antibiotics should be Ceftriaxone, Cefixime, Azithromycin and Ciprofloxacin.
- The two most common complications are haemorrhage (including disseminated intravascular coagulation) and perforation of the bowel. Before antibiotics, perforation had a mortality of around 75%.
- Jaundice may be due to hepatitis, cholangitis, cholecystitis, or haemolysis.
- Pancreatitis with acute kidney injury and hepatitis with hepatomegaly are rare.
- Toxic myocarditis occurs in 1-5% of patients (ECG changes may be present). It is a significant cause of death in endemic areas.
- Toxic confusional states and other neurological and psychiatric disturbances have been reported.
Needs and Indications for Hospitalization-
Hospital admission is usually recommended if you have severe symptoms of typhoid fever, such as persistent vomiting, severe diarrhoea or a swollen stomach. As a precaution, young children who develop typhoid fever may be admitted to hospital. In hospital, you'll have antibiotic injections and you may also be given fluids and nutrients directly into a vein through an intravenous drip. Surgery may be needed if you develop life-threatening complications of typhoid fever, such as internal bleeding or a section of your digestive system splitting. However, this is very rare in people being treated with antibiotics. Most people respond well to hospital treatment and improve within three to five days. However, it may be several weeks until you're well enough to leave hospital.
Two types of vaccines are available
The injected vaccine is more commonly used and is also known as inactivated typhoid shot . It is injected in one single shot an it can easily provide protection against typhoid. This type is widely prevalent in cases where one has to travel to a typhoid infected place. However, one must be careful and should keep a tab as to what they eat or drink at the time of travelling. Also, this type of vaccine should not be administered on kids below 2 years old.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor.
Anxiety and stress are the biggest roadblocks of sound sleep for many individuals. It is estimated that three out of ten individuals can’t sleep due to anxiety related disorders. The mind starts racing as soon one tries to sleep. The anxiousness results in increased restlessness, thereby, affecting sleep. Most adults face this problem at least once in a week. There are many individuals whose sleep is affected more than once a week due to anxiety.
A study revealed that more approximately 42 % women and 52% men find it difficult to focus on their work the very next day. In a case, anxiety affects your sleep occasionally, these simple methods would help you to do away with sleeplessness:
- Exercise: It is a very old practice and most people already know it. Daily exercise, moderate workout, brisk walking, jogging etc. can keep stress away and helps to improve sleep. Daily exercise can relax your nerves, loosen body muscles, relaxes the brain and helps to keep stress away. People with chronic insomnia have found to be exercising beneficial. In a case of an intense work-out session, it should be ensured that the body is rested at least twice in a week.
- Wind down before sleep: A bedtime routine is important for a sound sleep. Healthy practices such as taking shower, playing quiet music, reading a book etc. can help soothe your nerves and get can hellp you sleep better and quickly. These activities should be done at least half an hour before sleep. Soon it becomes a habit and helps an individual sleep without stress and anxiety.
- Meditate: Quieting the mind is an art. Yoga can greatly you help to achieve this without much hassle. If meditation looks like too taxing, sitting quietly in an isolated place for 5 odd minutes and inhaling and exhaling air will also do the trick. Yoga is a thousand-year-old stress buster mechanism. It has fetched fruitful results for many.
- Do not undertake stressful activities before bed: It becomes obvious not to get into any heated arguments, reading a stressful news, undertaking any stressful activity etc before bed. This will ensure that a person can relax before sleep and the adrenaline levels are at a normal level. It will ensure sound sleep for an individual.
- Create a to-do list: A to-do list takes care of daily works to be done. This can organize the day and help a person establish everything he needed to, throughout the course of the day. This will also help an individual refrain from any stress which in turn will help in sound sleep.
- Don’t lie awake: If it becomes difficult to sleep, it makes sense not to lie awake. Instead few things that are relaxing can be done in the interim. It will soothe the nerve and help to catch sleep sooner than later.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I have lost my main tooth as it was decayed is the implant safer and my wisdom tooth is impacted but one of doctor suggested me to wait as it can come ahead so what to do with impacted one I am not willing to extract and second ques is that what a flap surgery how much would it cost.
In the recent years, dental problems have been on a mercurial rise. Lack of proper knowledge and awareness (especially in the rural areas) makes the situation even worse. Dental problems can affect anyone, irrespective of their age and sex. Proper measures should be taken to deal with the problem effectively. People should be educated and made aware of the importance of practicing a good oral hygiene and dental care. In this regard, the Dental Public Health Education becomes very important.
As the name suggests, the dental public health work towards educating the people (in rural as well as urban areas) about oral and dental hygiene. It comes up with various campaigns, health camps and awareness programs (mostly government funded) to help people take care of their and their loved one's dental health. The aim of the dental public health work is to reach out to and, in the process, extend help to a wider mass.
In some of the campaigns, the dentists reach out to the children (in schools and colleges) and explain them the importance of a good dental health and the healthy dental practices they need to follow. Few of the initiatives and awareness programs have indeed been of great help to people.
The Dental Public health workers and specialists work on the competencies as directed by the Indian Dental Association, some of which are being mentioned below:
- Organizing and managing oral health campaigns and programs.
- Extensive research to deal with oral health problems of the public.
- Communicate with people regarding the various dental and oral health problems
- Measure the status of oral health through effective surveillance systems.
- Address individual (as well as population) oral health issues effectively.
- Promote and protect public oral health through public health regulations, policy, and legislation.
The Dental public health is thus, a non-clinical speciality, whereby trained and experienced workers works effortlessly to improve the oral health of communities rather than individuals. It is a broader term that touches upon the different aspects of dental and oral health (causes, symptoms, treatment, prevention, and precaution).
Advantages of the Dental Public Health Education:
The dental public health education and workforce are indeed a blessing that comes with a lot of oral health benefits:
- The dental public health (DPH) has helped create awareness, thereby lowering the incidences of tooth decay and plaque formation greatly.
- It has brought about a remarkable improvement in the overall health of the people.
- The DPH has successfully held campaigns and oral health camps in areas that have been left unattended and neglected for long.
- Campaigns organized in schools help children and their families to practice healthy oral hygiene.
- The action is at a community level so that maximum people can benefit from the programs and campaigns. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dentist.
A dental implant is a titanium post which mimics the root of the tooth and it’s surgically positioned into your jawbone beneath the gum line. After the implant is positioned, your dentist mounts replacement teeth or a bridge to replace a tooth or teeth that have fallen off, into that area.
Implants are a very useful new way to replace teeth that have been lost due to ageing, gum disease or trauma.
The options which were earlier available to replace missing teeth were an ordinary bridge which was attached to teeth on either side of the space left by the missing tooth.
- A big advantage of implants is that no adjacent teeth need to be chipped or ground down to hold your new replacement tooth or teeth in place.
- Dental implants allow you to speak without the worry that teeth might slip. It gives you improved speech.
- An implant also is better for maintaining dental health as it does not have to be anchored to other teeth, like bridges.
- Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain.
- Implants also don’t come loose as dentures can.
Because implants fuse to the jawbone, they provide stable support for artificial teeth. This means dentures and bridges mounted to implants don’t slip or shift in your mouth. This helps you eat and speak normally.
This secure fit also makes the dentures and bridges mounted over implants feel more natural than bridges or dentures.
Some people can’t get ordinary bridges and dentures because of sore spots, poor ridges or gagging and for them, implants are a heaven send.
Should you get implants?
You can only get implants if you must have healthy gums and adequate bone to support the implant. If your bone is too thin or soft you may have to get a bone graft first.
You should also be committed to keeping your implants healthy. For this, you should be committed to meticulous oral hygiene and regular dental visits as these will ensure the long-term success of your dental implants.
Two types of implants are considered safe by the American Dental Association. They are:
- Endosteal implants —These are surgically implanted directly into your jawbone. This is followed by a second surgery to connect a post to the original implant after the surrounding gum tissue has healed. And finally, an artificial tooth or teeth is attached to the post. This can be done individually or grouped on a bridge or denture.
- Subperiosteal implants — These consist of a metal frame that is fitted onto your jawbone. After the gums heal, the frame automatically becomes fixed to the jawbone. After these artificial teeth are mounted onto the posts, which are attached to the frame, and left to protrude through the gums just like with endosteal implants.
- Implants are very natural but they are expensive than other dentures or bridges, the other methods of teeth replacement. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can ask a free question.
Diarrhea is one of the world’s most common ailments and almost everyone suffers from it now and then. It is a condition in which the bowel movements become loose and watery. In many cases, diarrhea lasts a couple of days. But when it lasts for a week, then it can mean a serious disorder. You have to seek medical attention immediately in such scenarios.
The symptoms of diarrhea can include loose, watery stools, abdominal cramps and pain, blood in the stool and bloating symptoms. If the condition persists for more than two days and if you are unable to find any relief, consult your doctor. You might also tend to get dehydrated when you are suffering from the condition. Hence, you might feel weak and tired. Occasionally, your stool samples may be loaded with blood.
There are many harmful pathogens that can cause diarrhea- including viruses and bacteria. One of the most important reasons is contaminated water and the buildup of parasites in your body. There are also certain foods that might not suit your body type and as a result, you might experience diarrhea. Do know your food symptoms and follow a proper diet accordingly. One of the major complications of diarrhea is dehydration and if left untreated, it can become life threatening. This is especially worse in small children. Hence seek medical attention if your child is suffering from it. Do look out for signs like no tears when your child cries and withdrawn face in your child.
Other causes include:
- Alcohol abuse
- Allergies to certain foods
- Diseases of the intestines (such as Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis)
- Eating foods that upset the digestive system
- Infection by bacteria (the cause of most types of food poisoning) or other organisms
- Laxative abuse
- Overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism)
- Radiation therapy
- Running (Some people get “runner’s diarrhea” for reasons that aren’t clear)
- Some cancers
- Surgery on your digestive system
Diagnosis is usually rare for diarrhea unless you want to find the reason. Usually, this is done by testing your stool and in some cases even your blood.
When to see a doctor
People who have warning signs of blood or pus in the stool, fever, or signs of dehydration should see a doctor right away, as should those with significant abdominal pain. Such people may need immediate testing, treatment, and sometimes admission to a hospital. If the only warning signs are chronic or nighttime diarrhea or weight loss, people should see a doctor within a week or so. People without warning signs should call a doctor if diarrhea lasts for more than 72 hours. Depending on the person's other symptoms, age, and medical history, the doctor may recommend the person have an examination or try at-home or over-the-counter treatments
In most cases, diarrhea symptoms can clear up by themselves, without any treatment. Most of the scenarios involve changing your food habits for some days. You can take antibiotics but use of antibiotics in diarrhoea should be only under medical supervision. In most cases these are helpful and the symptoms will go away after a day or two. Drink plenty of fluids during these days to replenish the lost water content and to keep your body hydrated at all times. If drinking fluids affect your stomach then you may need to take the fluids intravenously. If you do not get relief from the symptoms even after a couple of days, seek medical help.
Oral Rehydration rehydration salts (ORS) - How To Make It?
Oral Rehydration rehydration salts (ORS) is a special drink made up of sugars, salts, and clean water. It can help replace fluid loss from severe diarrhea or vomiting. Studies have shown ORS to be as effective as intravenous fluid administration when treating dehydration. ORS drinks can be made using purchased packets, like Pedialyte®, Infalyte®, and Naturalyte®. You can also make ORS drinks at home using clean water, salt, and sugar.
Making Your Own ORS Solution--
1. Gather the ingredients. To make your own ORS solution, you’ll need:
- table salt
- clean water
- granulated or powdered sugar
2. Mix the dry ingredients. Add a half-teaspoon of table salt and 2 tablespoons of sugar into a clean container. You can use granulated or powdered sugar.
- If you don't have a teaspoon to measure, you can use a fistful scoop of sugar and a three-finger pinch of salt.
3. Add one liter of clean drinking water. If you cannot measure out a liter, add 5 cups of water (each cup is about 200 ml). Only use clean water. The water can be bottled water or recently boiled and cooled water.
- Be sure to only use water. Milk, soup, fruit juice or soft drinks cannot be used since they will make the ORS ineffective. Don't add any extra sugar.
4. Stir well and drink. Use a spoon or whisk to mix the ORS powder into the water. After a minute or so of vigorous stirring, the solution should be completely dissolved. Now, it is ready to drink.
- ORS solution can be refrigerated for 24 hours. Do not store it any longer. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a general physician.
We know that diabetes can harm your eyes, nerves, kidneys, heart and other important systems in your body. But did you know it can also cause dental and gum problems in your mouth?
The link between diabetes and oral problems is real, though lesser known. Diabetics are at a higher risk for periodontal or gum disease which is an infection of the gum and bone that hold your teeth in place.
Research also shows that alternatively, periodontal disease may also make it hard for you to control your blood glucose.
If your diabetes is not under control, you are more likely to develop problems in your mouth like-
- Dry mouth, a condition that happens when you do not have enough saliva—the fluid that keeps your mouth wet. It is a common symptom of undetected diabetes and can also cause mouth soreness, ulcers, infections, and tooth decay.
- Another problem diabetes can cause is a fungal infection called thrush or candidiasis because diabetes usually causes the glucose levels in your saliva to increase. And this encourages the fungus causing thrush to grow in your mouth, leading to painful white patches.
- When diabetes is not controlled, high glucose levels in your saliva also help harmful bacteria grow in your mouth. These bacteria combine with food particles to form a soft, sticky film called plaque which causes tooth decay. Plaque also comes from eating sugary and starchy foods.
- And some types of plaque cause tooth decay or cavities and other types of plaque cause gum disease and bad breath.
- Diabetics have a higher incidence of Gingivitis which causes unhealthy, red, inflamed gums. You need regular flossing as well as cleaning at the dentists to prevent it.
What can you do?
- You must keep your blood glucose under control to prevent mouth problems. Diabetics with poor blood glucose control get gum disease more often and more severely than diabetics whose blood sugar is under control.
- If you have diabetes, you should brush and floss every day and follow this up with regular dental check-ups.
- Call your dentist when you notice a problem in your mouth. Keep observing and checking your mouth regularly for any problems. Don’t ignore minor stuff like gum bleeding during brushing and flossing. And also notice dryness, soreness, white patches, or a bad taste in the mouth. All of these are big enough reasons to visit your dentist.
- Tell your dentist if your dentures suddenly don’t fit right or if your gums are sore.
Also, take care to quit smoking. Smoking makes gum disease worse and causes dry mouth which aggravates oral problems.
Needless to add, good blood glucose control is your best defence against the oral complications of diabetes like gum disease. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a dentist.
Blessed are the people who enjoy a good figure without compromising on their diet or going through rigorous exercise and gym sessions. Everyone wants to be in perfect shape. Obesity and the associated health complications are known to all. These days, people are very conscious about their health. They try to maintain a healthy weight as much as possible. From gyms to Zumba, healthy diet to cycling, they try out everything under the sun to shed off the unwanted, stubborn fats. A healthy and fit body has immense health benefits. However, an excess of anything is bad. Maintaining a healthy body weight is good, but achieving it through drastic steps is bad. This article emphasizes on the effects (both good and bad) of weight loss on the overall health.
Health benefits of weight loss:
When you shed off the extra kilos in a healthy way, your body too reacts positively.
- Endorphins are known to be great mood enhancers. They create a positive feeling, a feel-good factor throughout the body. During workouts and exercises, the body releases endorphins. Thus, most people feel good and fresh after a workout.
- Weight loss can work wonders for your sleep. Research suggest that people who lost weight enjoyed a good, sound sleep, compared to their obese counterparts.
- For the body to function properly, it is important to maintain the hormonal balance in the body. Obesity disturbs the hormonal balance in your body. Weight loss plays a pivotal role in restoring the hormonal balance.
- Weight loss gives your sex life a much-needed boost. Weight loss is directly related to an increased level of the testosterone hormone. Increased level of testosterone is known to increase the sexual desire (increased libido).
- Obesity can significantly reduce your brainpower, thereby affecting your overall performance. Weight loss helps you to achieve not only a perfect body but a sharper memory as well. You feel fit both physically and mentally.
- Weight loss also helps to keep stress and anxiety at bay.
- Weight loss helps to lower the incidences of diabetes (Type 2), hypertension, dermatological problems (acne, skin rashes, skin aging), cardiac problems, thyroid problems, and to some extent cancer.
Harmful effects of weight loss:
- Drastic steps to achieve a perfect figure can do you more harm than good. Follow a healthy diet, reduce your carbohydrate intake, but do not starve yourself.
- Weight loss through a very low-calorie diet can interfere with the ability of the gallbladder to contract and release the stored bile (into the duodenum). Eventually, this may elevate the probability of formation of gallstones.
- A very low-calorie diet can rob your diet of the soluble fibers and vitamins (especially vitamin C). A poor diet can make you prone to infections. Your bones will also become weak.
- Rapid weight loss may also result in sagging skin. In some cases, your skin might lose its radiance and natural glow.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dietitian/Nutritionist.
Tooth loss is a challenge for both the patient and the dentist. Patient has to deal with reduced chewing efficiency and altered appearance. The dentist, on the contrary, is faced with restoring the lost tooth to the maximum natural extent possible - functionally and structurally.
The fixed dentures came close with their ability to providing fixed teeth that were stable and aesthetically appealing. However, there was one big disadvantage. The adjacent teeth that were being used as abutment were reduced in size and therefore strength though they could be perfectly normal teeth. In an effort to avoid this, the dental community started looking at options, the result of which was implant. Not just replacing the crown part of the tooth, even the root portion of the tooth is replaced here.
A biocompatible material, titanium, is put into the tooth to serve as the root. Titanium is strong, light, biocompatible (does not cause autoimmune reactions in the surrounding tissues) and most importantly osseointegrated (fuses to the surrounding bone). Once placed as the root, it gets absorbed into the bone after a period of about 2 to 6 months. Then, a crown or a denture is literally built on this root to simulate the natural appearance as close as possible. This provides not just the complete natural tooth structure but also provides support to the surrounding tissues like the gums and the cheeks.
Implant dentistry is a perfect example of teamwork including surgeons to operate and place the bone, prosthodontists to do the crown or the bridge, a periodontist to manage the gums health, and a lab technician who can do the finest job on the crowns or the bridges.
Types of implants: Three common types include:
- Single tooth replacement: In cases where a single tooth is lost, the implant would be one root that is allowed to fuse to the bone and then a crown is placed over it.
- Fixed multiple teeth replacements: If more than one tooth is lost, then bridges are fabricated by placing one or more implants and then custom-made crowns are placed over these implants.
- Removable implant supported complete denture: If all the lower teeth are missing, implants could be placed at pre-identified locations and then a complete denture fabricated over it. This is commonly done in lower jaws as stability is always a cause for concern.
Contraindications: The success of the implant requires good bone health. The most common contraindications would be patients with chronic diseases like poorly controlled diabetes, cancer in the line of jaws, chronic smoking, or poor periodontal health.
However, if managed well, even these patients can have implants after a detailed assessment by the dental team. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dentist.