Some people find it harder to lose weight as compared to others. Gastric sleeve surgery is a viable option for such people. This surgery involves reducing the size of the stomach to control the intake of food.
Here are 10 ways this surgery will affect you.
- You’ll need a special diet for the first few days: You will need to follow a special diet for 8 weeks after the surgery. This gives your stomach the time to heal properly. Normal food will have to be reintroduced slowly. However, alter, you can eat anything you like.
- You can eat lesser: You’ll find yourself taking smaller servings at all meals as your stomach is much smaller than it was. This does not mean that you’ll be able to eat more frequently. It simply means that you will eat a lot lesser. A smaller stomach also means that you will feel less hungry.
- Weight Loss: After a gastric sleeve surgery, patients typically lose up to 75% of their excess weight. In the first three months itself, you should see yourself lose up to 33% of excess body weight. Thus, it can help cure obesity and reduce your BMI.
- Resolution of obesity-related health issues: As your weight reduces, so does the impact of other diseases. Patients suffering from diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and sleep apnea report a large amount of improvement in their conditions after this surgery.
- Stronger joints: Excess weight puts additional pressure on your joints. This can cause joint pain and increase the wear and tear of joint cartilage. By reducing your weight, there is less pressure on your joints. Improved mobility and lesser knee pain are commonly experienced benefits.
- Lowered cancer risk: The risk of some types of cancer is associated with the patient’s weight. As a result of this surgery, the risk of colon cancer, pancreatic cancer, breast cancer and endometrial cancer reduces by up to 33%.
- Improved fertility: Women with obesity of overweight issues typically find it difficult to conceive. A gastric sleeve surgery can improve these fertility rates. Studies have shown that more than 50% of the women who underwent this procedure could conceive a child successfully within the next year.
- Improved mental health: Your weight also affects your self-confidence. In many cases being overweight or obese contributes to depression. Undergoing this surgery can improve a patients’ self-image and relieve symptoms of depression, anxiety etc.
- Better sleep: Losing body fat makes it more comfortable to get a good night’s sleep. Weight loss also helps treat conditions such as sleep apnea that can keep you from sleeping restfully.
- Your weight loss will plateau after 2 years: As time passes, your stomach will begin to expand. Hence you may not see yourself losing too much weight after the first year. If you are not careful, you may begin to put on weight again after the 2nd or 3rd year.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!