Ringworm infection or dermatophytosis is a fungal infection occurring in the skin. This infection can affect both animals as well as humans. It initially spreads with red patches in the affected area of the body and later starts spreading to other parts as well. This infection affects the skin on the beard, groin, scalp and other parts of the body. There are a lot of symptoms of ringworm such as scaly, red and itchy patches, patches which develop into blisters and later start to ooze, patches which are redder on the outside, usually resembling a ring and patches with defined or raised edges. Ringworm infection can also be experienced by some people on their nails. The symptom of this infection on the nails is characterized by the nails becoming discoloured, thicker and starting to crack. If your scalp is affected, then the hair on the infected portion may start to fall off and you will have bald patches.
Three types of fungi called epidermophyton, microsporum and trichophyton is responsible for causing ringworm infection. These fungi live and thrive on soil as spores, it is possible that human or animals can contract this infection by coming in contact with the soil. Ringworm infection spreads quickly with contact and it is common in children by sharing items which might not be clean. Many people try to self treat this infection by avoiding clothing which irritates the infected area, covering the infection with a bandage, disinfecting clothes and bedding and cleaning their skin on a regular basis. Sometimes, these remedies don’t help to cure this infection, in such cases doctors can prescribe medicines such as antifungal creams or ointments.
If you experience symptoms of a ringworm infection, it is vital to consult a doctor as soon as possible. You will be asked to go through certain tests such as a fungal culture or skin biopsy test. In this test, the doctor extracts discharge from the blister and sends it for biopsy. You can also go through a KOH exam where the doctor will scrape off a tiny area of infected skin and put it inside potassium hydroxide (KOH). Then your skin tissue will be observed under a microscope. The doctor can also see your skin under a black light to see the traces of fungus on your skin. After the diagnosis is complete and it is proven that you have a ringworm infection, topical medicines like sprays, gels and antifungal ointment are prescribed. However, ringworm occurring on the nails and scalp may require a much powerful medicine like terbinafine, griseofulvin and ketoconazole.
Antifungal creams like miconazole and clotrimazole are very effective in treating ringworm infection. During your treatment it is vital not to scratch the infected area over and over again, as this might make you more susceptible in developing strep or staph infection. If at all, you get this infection along with the ringworm infection, your doctor can prescribe you powerful antibiotics to treat it completely.
Since this infection is common in children who own pet dogs and cats because these animals can easily catch the infection and pass it on to their owners. Therefore, these children should go for health check-ups at least once in three months. People using a public pool or public shower area are also at a high risk of getting this infection, hence they are eligible for an antifungal treatment.
If you have any allergies or medical conditions, you should take a doctor’s opinion before using antifungal medicines as it may interfere with your existing medical condition. People who are already undergoing treatment for some other medical ailment should also consult their doctor before starting this treatment.
After you get treated from ringworm with the help of antifungal medicines, it is important to maintain hygiene and take good care of your health so that the infection doesn’t reoccur. It is vital to wash your hands after touching or interacting with animals, also try to disinfect your pets as much as possible, avoid physical contact with animals or people who have a ringworm infection, use shampoos and take a shower regularly, wear protective shoes while going out and keep your body clean and dry at all times. You should also avoid sharing items like hairbrushes and clothes with people who already have a ringworm infection.
Antifungal ointments can heal the ringworm infection in about two to four weeks. If it is used regularly and more than once a day, the infection can heal sooner. If the symptoms are taking more than four weeks to disappear then your doctor may prescribe you antibiotics along with your antifungal medicines. Majority of the patients suffering from a ringworm infection, respond positively to antifungal medications.
The price of antifungal creams is approximately Rs. 20 to Rs.200 in India.
The results of this treatment are permanent to some extent. However, it doesn’t prevent you from getting the infection later in life if you don’t maintain personal hygiene.
Apart from antifungal creams, ringworm infection can be treated with the use of topical medications, antibiotics, strong oral medications, etc. However, oral medication is given for a 3 months course.
Fungal skin diseases are brought about by various sorts of fungi and are the main reasons behind an irritated skin. Fungi attack and develop in dead keratin, a protein that makes up your skin, hair and nails. The various sorts of fungal diseases are caused by various groups of fungi. Some common fungal skin infections include ringworm, intertrigo, nail infections, Athlete’s foot, etc.
The likelihood of fungal infections increase in the following cases:
Fungal rashes can at times be mistaken for other skin conditions, for example, psoriasis and eczema. Fungal skin diseases can bring about a number of skin rashes; some of them being red, textured and itchy. The organism can influence only one region, or a few zones of your body. In the event that you get a fungal disease of your scalp, you might lose some hair. There are steps which can be performed in order to protect yourself from getting a parasitic skin contamination:
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dermatologist.
Ringworm of the scalp usually affects children. This is a common type of a fungal infection of the scalp and has nothing t-d-with the worms as the name suggests. This is treated with antifungal medications and though the antifungal shampo-is not to-effective, it might be advised along with medication.
Causes of scalp ringworm:
1. Most of the times a ringworm infection is caught by person t-person through sharing towels and touching. The fungi and its spores can remain alive on brushes, combs, sheets, furniture and unwashed towels for long. Some people are only carriers of fungi, meaning that they carry the fungi and its spores in their hair and skin but d-not have any infection and symptoms. But they might pass these fungi t-others wh-may develop the symptoms.
2. From pets like cats and dogs wh-are very prone t-fungal infection of the skin. They easily pass their infection t-children and other family members. Farms animals are als-a source of fungal infection
and if the farm gate is touched where the infected cattle pass, is enough t-cause infection.
3. Also at times, there is no reason and fungi infection can just happen out of the blue. Like for example, the fungi spores can get transmitted through air, they might get int-the air by an infected person and land on someone else's head. This can develop int-fungi and cause infection.
Symptoms of scalp ringworm:
2. In some infection there is loss of hair leading t-bald patches. These patches become scaly and inflamed. The patches might have broken off small hair.
3. Several painful pustules and boils occur on the scalp
4. In severe infection there is boggy swelling of some part of the scalp, which is known as kerion. This might be tender and oozing, and if not treated can lead t-hair loss and permanent scarring.
5. In severe infections like with pustules and kerion, one might develop high fever and the glands of the neck might swell.
Treatment of scalp ringworm:
The treatment of the fungal infection of the scalp involves the following:
1. Antifungal Medicines: These are usually taken in the form of tablets. The following are advised:
2. Griseofulvin: This is often the first choice and a course of 8-12 weeks is required. The tablet can be crushed and taken with water.
3. Terbinafine: The course for this is four weeks and is important t-complete the course in order t-get rid of the infection.
Ringworm is a kind of skin infection that is brought on about due to fungal growth. Ringworms can occur on the body (tinea corporis), groin area which is sometimes referred to as the jock itch, scalp (tinea capitis) or even on the foot which is known as athlete’s foot. Sometimes there can also be several outbreaks of ringworm patches on the body simultaneously.
Symptoms of Ringworm:
The most common sign of ringworms is the red patch that looks a bit scaly and constantly itches. As time goes by this scaly patch can evolve into a circular shape and multiply into more rings. The center of the patch is scaly and clear while the outer lining is slightly raised.when ringworm occurs on the scalp it initially starts out as a tiny sore or bump and then turns flaky.
Ringworm is caused by the fungi dermatophytes. Ringworm is highly contagious diseases and the causes for it are:
• Ringworm spreads by contact.
• You can get infected from your pets who might be carrying the fungi.
• The fungi dermatophytes often tend to linger on clothes, towels, surfaces and within brushes or combs.
• You can get infected by the fungi by standing barefoot on the soil.
Ayurvedic Treatment for This Condition:
According to the Ayurvedic philosophy, this skin condition is referred to as dad which is the result of the Kapha-Vata dosha. When Kapha symbolizing mucus and vata symbolizing air or wind manifest and lead to the accumulation of harmful toxins it causes contamination and damage to deep tissues. The contamination of the deep tissues and the amplification of the Kapha-Vata dosha leads to the outbreak of ringworm.
If you wish to resort to natural remedies and opt for an ayurvedic treatment of ringworm then here are some dietary and lifestyle changes that you will be required to implement:
• Sour, spicy and extremely sweet foods need to be avoided. Therefore you cannot consume foods such as citrus foods, sauces, vinegar, mustard, chutney and pickled items.
• You also need to avoid eating foods that are made up of white flour such as cakes, pizza and bread
• Non-vegetarian food items are an absolute no.
• Drinks that contain caffeine such as coffee, tea and alcoholic drinks should also be avoided. Instead, you can eat foods such as rice, beans, pasta, wholegrain bread, fresh vegetables and non-citrus fruits.
• You also need to wash the affected area with water in which neem leaves have been boiled for a couple of minutes.
• You can also rub a paste of fresh papaya over the ringworm affected region.
• Another very effective home remedy includes applying on the area a paste made out of milk and turmeric. And then washing the area after an hour.
When skin is infected by a fungus, the resultant infection is called tinea corporis (ringworm). It is most common in athletes and children. The infection may appear on the scalp, beards, groin, in between the toes and other places.
Tinea corporis can be caused by:
1. Skin contact
2. It is contagious, so if you use towels, bed linens and clothes of an infected person, you will get infected too.
3. Touching a pet infected by tinea corporis.
Signs and Symptoms
1. The rash starts as a scant area of red, bumpy pimples and spots. Then the rash forms a ring, with raised, red borders and a clear middle. The border might look scaly.
2. The rash may show up on face, legs, arms or other body areas which are exposed.
3. The area feels itchy. It might also be flaky and dry. You might even experience hair loss in the infected area.
The skin in the area will be gently scraped off and the sample will be collected. Then, the sample will be viewed under a microscope. That will help discerning, which type of fungus is causing the infection.
The following treatment regime must be followed:
1. The skin must be kept dry and clean.
2. Fungal creams are best. Creams that contain miconazole, ketoconazole, clotrimazole or oxiconazole are excellent for fungal infections.
3. Only apply the cream on clean skin. You can use it twice in a day. Bandaging the infected area is not recommended.
4. To prevent the infection from spreading, wash your towels in warm water and use clean towels every time you bathe. Also, clean the bathroom and wear freshly washed clothes.
5. If pets are infected, treat them as well.
The infection usually goes away under 4 weeks. The infection may branch out to the nails, groin, scalp and feet. Self-care is effective, but if symptoms persist, then do consult a specialist. Ringworms have certain complications, such as scratching the skin too much causes skin infections and other skin disorders, which may need further treatment.
Several types of worm can cause problems in humans, including threadworms, roundworms, tapeworms, whipworms and hookworms.
Sometimes tapeworms cause symptoms such as:
1: abrotinum destroys worms especially ascaries (round worms).
2: anantherum tape worms with morbid hunger. Wakes at night.
3: cina it is the head remedy for round n tape worms with grinding of teeth.
4: chenopodium specific for hook worm disease.
5: caladium is useful when worms travel over the perineum n get into the vagina in little girls with tendency to excite masturbation.
6: calc carb an excellent remedy for scrofulous children, fat, pale, lymphatic, head hot n perspiring at night.
7: cuprum oxydatum nigrum an excellent remedy for all kinds of worms.
8: filix mas an efficient remedy for expulsiomd of tapeworm especially with constipation.
9: nat phos intestinal, long, round or thread worms with picking at nose n tendency to rheumatism.
10: santonine this may be tried when cina fails.
11: Sinapis nigra specific remedy for pin worms.
12: spigelia strabismus, jerking with paleness of the face, blue rings around the eyes, faint nauseated feeling with colic about the navel caused by worms.
13: sulpher is head remedy for tape worms (tenia).
14: scirrhinum it helps in the passage of worms when cina and teucrium fail.
15: tellurium it causes expulsion of thread worms.
16: terebinth burning n crawling in anus as if worms are creeping out. It discharges round n tape worms.
17: thymol is specific for hook worm.
Consult your nearest doctor for proper treatment.