What is the remedy about?
Throat pain is generally caused by a sore throat, along with symptoms of itchiness and irritation in the throat. It may not be a very serious condition, but makes you feel uncomfortable and you can face difficulties sleeping at night. The following home remedies can help to soothe your throat pain:
- Having honey directly or mixing it in your cup of tea can help you get rid of your throat pain. It is considered to be a natural and effective healing agent, thus speeding up the healing process.
- Salt water helps in killing the bacteria that is present in your throat. It breaks down the secretions and helps to soothe a sore throat, relieving you of the pain. Mix a small teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water and gargle with that solution every three hours.
- Peppermint has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory as well as antiviral properties that encourage faster healing. It also has menthol content, which aids in thinning the mucus and calming sore throats. Mix peppermint oil with almond, olive or coconut oil and apply on your throat for faster results.
- Fenugreek is another natural remedy for treating throat pain. It has the ability to kill the harmful bacteria that causes inflammation or irritation. You can consume fenugreek seeds, drink fenugreek tea or use its oil to apply on your throat.
- Garlic contains a compound known as allicin that can effectively fight infections. The antibacterial properties can help in soothing the pain you experience in your throat. You can consume it in its raw form or include it in your diet.
Are there any side effects?
The side effects of the home remedies include:
- In case you are allergic to honey, it can cause irritation and lead to certain problems in the system. Also, consuming honey in excessive amounts can lead to diarrhea, constipation, stomach cramping or bloating. It must be consumed in moderation.
- Fenugreek should be avoided in case of pregnant women, as it can cause allergic reactions.
- Consuming raw garlic can cause a burning sensation in your mouth, make you feel nauseated, trigger a vomiting tendency and result in bad breath. In case you have undergone a surgery recently, consuming too much of garlic can also cause bleeding.
- Peppermint oil can cause allergic skin reactions or a headache in some cases.
What are the post-remedy guidelines?
The post remedy guidelines are as follows:
- Avoid having anything cold till your throat pain gets better.
- You can add a humidifier in your room. The moisture present in the air often helps in healing pain caused due to a sore throat.
- If you are consuming garlic, remember to brush your teeth afterward. That will help in improving your breath.
- Drink water as much as possible.
- Avoid fruits that have high citrus content, as they may cause irritation in your throat.
- Avoid spicy as well as acidic foods.
- Try to stay away from smoke or any kind of chemical fume that may cause inflammation and worsen your throat pain.
How long does it take to recover?
If you immediately start treating a throat pain with these home remedies, you can see an improvement in your condition in 2-5 days. Sometimes, it can take up to a week to treat the throat pain. Generally, the symptoms or pain do not last for more than 5 days.
Are the results of the remedy permanent?
A throat pain can be cured if the symptoms are diagnosed and proper treatment is meted out. However, if you get affected by an infection in your throat again, the pain can return.
Is there any training or experts required?
There is no training required for treating throat pain with these home remedies. They are easily available in stores and you can prepare the remedies yourself. However, in case you have some specific allergies or health condition, you can seek your doctor’s opinion before trying out any of the methods.