Home Remedies For Diabetes: Procedure, Recovery, Risk & Complication
Home Remedies For Diabetes
Diabetes is a condition where blood sugar level increases in a person’s body. It happens because of the body’s inability to properly secrete Insulin hormone that controls the level of glucose in the blood. Normal blood sugar level in a healthy person’s body is 120 mg/dL. Few of the easily adaptable home remedies to control diabetes are:
1. Basil Leaves: Basil leaves lower blood glucose levels by increasing insulin in the blood. It can be taken either as food or as a supplement. Description: Take 2.5 gm of basil powder or chew 5-8 basil leaves in empty stomach regularly, preferably in the morning.
2. Fenugreek: Fenugreek is a fibrous herb easily available in the market, and are believed to have properties to reduce blood sugar level and improve glucose tolerance of the body. Description: Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek in cold water and keep it overnight. Drink this regularly in the morning on empty stomach to get the desired results. You can also make powder from the seeds and have 2 tablespoons of fenugreek powder mixed in milk daily.
3. Black Berry: Black berry also known as black plum is a very common seasonal fruit available in the market. It has the ability to convert starch into energy and reduce blood sugar level. It keeps the problem of frequent urination under control. Description: Black berry can be eaten directly as a fruit.
4. Guava: Guava is rich in dietary fibre and if it is eaten without skin, it reduces sugar absorption in your blood.
Home Remedies to Treat Diabetes - Know its Side Effects
There are no serious side effects related to the home remedies mentioned. However there can be a few side effects
1. Fenugreek in excess might lead to an upset stomach, gas problem, bloating and diarrhoea. It can also cause coughing, wheezing, nasal congestion, and several allergic reactions to hypersensitive people.
2. Basil if taken in excess can cause thinning of blood, hypoglycaemia and decreased fertility.
3. Excessive intake of blackberries can cause diarrhoea and unripe berries can cause constipation. These are rich in tannins that can cause nausea and vomiting in sensitive people.
What are the post-remedy guidelines?
1. Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers should avoid taking guava in any form of supplement or medicine. But they can take it directly as fruit.
2. Continue having basils in limited quantity as per the direction was given. But owing to few of its medicinal values basil should not be taken with any anti-clotting and strong diabetic medicines.
3. Basil is anti-inflammatory in nature so exercise caution if you are taking NSAIDs.
How long does it take to recover?
It takes at least a fortnight to get visible results with these home remedies.
Are the results of the remedy permanent?
It is possible to cure diabetes permanently. You should keep strict restrictions on your food habits and life style. Stick to a regular exercise regimen to keep blood sugar levels under control.
Is there any training or experts required?
These home remedies generally don't cause any serious side effects, expert supervision is not required to use them. If, however, if you have any medical condition then it is advised to consult a physician.
Side Effects: Very Low
Time for Recovery: Medium
Price Range: Approx Rs 10 - Rs 100
These home remedies are natural so you don’t require any expert’s supervision to use them.