What is the remedy about?
Constipation is an acute condition faced by a person when he/she has difficulty in passing stool. Due to less Bowel movement than normal, stool becomes dry and hard thereby worsening the condition. Constipation may occur if a person resists his urge to pass stool when needed and also because of a sudden change in lifestyle and food habits.
Constipation can be treated at home by using the following home remedies:
1. Drink plenty of water:
Drinking water helps your body to pass stool in an easy manner.
Drink at least 2 to 4 extra glasses of water every day. Also, try to drink Luke warm water in the morning or after your breakfast.
2. Eat more fibrous food:
Add green vegetables and fresh fruits, seeds, nuts and whole grains in your diet. These are the most reliable sources of healthy fibres required to ease the pain and difficulty of constipation. Fibrous foods play important role in improving your digestive system, heart, liver, skin and other organs of your body. Add prunes, resins, cereals and sesame seeds as seasoning on your food.
3. Black strap Molasses:
Blackstrap Molasses is a thick, brown sugary syrup obtained during the refining process of sugar. If it is boiled and condensed into a darker syrup and is taken one table spoon at night before going to bed, it will reduce the problems related to constipation. This is rich in vitamins, minerals and magnesium.
4. Mint or Ginger tea and Lemon water:
Peppermint is full of methanol having anti spasmodic effect i.e. it prevents sudden contraction of muscles. This also helps in relaxing the muscles of your digestive tract.
Ginger produces additional heat within your body that in turn enhances sluggish digestion.
Lemon water being citric in nature stimulates your digestive system and flushes out toxins from your body.
Start walking daily at least for 15 minutes. Practice few free hand exercises and yoga for better digestion.
Are there any side effects?
There are no significant side effects but keep these things in mind before adopting any of these home remedies:
1. If a person is suffering from ailments of kidney or liver water consumption should be checked to avoid further complications due to excess water accumulation in the body. 2. Blackstrap Molasses are obtained from sugar, so diabetic patients should avoid having it. 3. If a person is sensitive towards ginger, he may suffer from mild side effects like heart burn, stomach discomfort, bloating, nausea or diarrhoea. 4. Lemon being citric if taken in excess can cause acidity, heart burn, GERD, ulcer or upset stomach.
What are the post-remedy guidelines?
1. Don’t ignore nature’s call.
2. Always try to have vegetables and fruits rich in fibre. Daily recommended fibre amount is 20-35 mg.
3. If you’re prone to constipation reduce consumption of less fibrous food like meat and fish.
4. Continue drinking sufficient water every day.
5. Try to fix a particular time in the day preferably in the morning to go to toilet and give yourself sufficient time for that.
6. Yoga and exercises should be practiced carefully in order to avoid getting hurt.
How long does it take to recover?
Taking home remedies for constipation is a continuous process but one may get relief from constipation within a month. But for some people, it may take about 6 months or more to get desired results.
Are the results of the remedy permanent?
Results obtained from the remedies are not permanent. Constipation may relapse any time if the required food habits and lifestyle are not maintained properly. One should continue to follow the remedial guidelines to get long lasting effects and advantages.
Is there any training or experts required?
It is not required to have any training or expertise to adopt the home remedies for constipation. But you should particularly keep in mind your allergies, sensitivities and other diseases like diabetes, liver or kidney problem etc. before starting with the listed remedies.
1. Avoid following particular remedies that can further aggravate your other health related issues.
2. Take guidance from fitness instructors before you start free hand exercises and yoga to get rid of constipation.