Treatment for Amblyopia (lazy eye)
Hi. My name is Dr. Chandrashekhar Kale. I'm a pediatric Ophthalmologist and I'll be talking about Amblyopia and Childhood Blindness.
So when we say about pediatric ophthalmology the most common thing that comes to our mind is Bariatric Cataract and squint but if we look at the most common cause of preventable blindness in children then it's definitely Amblyopia or what we call as a lazy eye. Now Amblyopia is a Neurosensory disorder, that means your eye and brain both the things are involved. It's a condition in which vision in one of the eyes is less because of any focusing problems in your eye which occurred in your early childhood period. Now, this can be due to ocular misalignment which is called as squint or hindrance to light which enters the eye because of ptosis or cataract or can be simple refractive errors, especially the higher refractive errors. Usually Amblyopia is more commonly seen in one eye and hence is very difficult to detect because when the child sees, he sees with both the eyes open so if one eye has got a poor vision and another eye is good, the child will not be able to identify that he is not able to see with one eye unless he closes one of the eyes. So here comes the importance of early screening of the eyes.
As far as the treatment of Amblyopia is concerned, it is mostly treating the pre-depositing factors like squint or cataract where it's a surgical intervention or you can do a simple refractive error check up and glasses prescription. One of the most important factors for Amblyopia management is the exercises for lazy eye. The most common is the patching exercises where in you close the good eye and the child is forced to see from the poor eye. The principle behind this is once the child sees from the poor eye for a period of time your brain will get accustomed to see through the poor eye and gradually over a period of time visual improvement occurs in the eye. The only thing here is that the exercises, as well as the treatment, has to start before 8yrs of an age where in you can expect a complete recovery of the vision. Here, at our institute, we have a special device or software called the Vision Therapy software which is aimed for the improvement of vision in your Amblyopic eye.
This is basically a computer generated device where in some exercises are given via computers. Now since this is given by computer and designed in form of some small games the compliance in a child is much better as compared to the regular patching exercises. So, definitely, the visual improvement is much faster with this new computer generated exercises. So in a nutshell what I would like to say is that Amblyopia is definitely preventable, especially if you diagnose it at an early stage. We need more awareness regarding this condition, in the parents, in the public, also in the pediatrician so that the child gets his first eye check up as early as possible, preferably by three yrs of age. This is what I wanted to say about Amblyopia and treatment of lazy eye in a nut shell.
For further details, you can contact us at lybrate.com. Thank You.read more
Symptoms and treatment for Retinal Detachment
My name is Dr. Pandurang Kulkarni. I'm a Vitreoretinal Surgeon and Uveitis Specialist. I'll be talking about Retinal Detachment. A retina is a light sensitive tissue lying at the back of our eye. Light rays are focused on the retina where the impulses are produced and it is carried by an optic nerve to the brain where they are interpreted as images. Healthy and attached retina are necessary for clear vision. The middle of the eye is filled with a liquid called vitreous. It is in contact with the retina. As the age advances, the vitreous may shed and may separate from the retinal surface. Usually, the vitreous separation doesn't cause any problems but sometimes the separation can lead to the formation of breaks in the retina at one or multiple places.
Who is at a risk of developing retinal detachment? People with near sightedness, previous eye surgeries, severe eye trauma, family history of retinal detachment, retinal detachment in the fellow eye and presence of weak areas in the retina. Now, what are the symptoms of retinal detachment? A sudden increase in size or number of floatus, increase in flashes of light, drop in vision and appearance of shadow in the periphery of fluid transmission. The appearance of gray curtails like objects in the field of vision. Retinal detachment is a surgical condition. Retinal detachment is treated by pneumatic retinopathy, Sceral, Vitreo surgery or a combination of sceral and vitreous surgery. People at risk of retinal detachment should see an eye specialist regularly or at the onset of new symptoms which cause a problem in vision.
For more information, you can contact us through Lybrate.read more
Hi, I’m Dr Hrishikesh Tadwalkar, and I’m the consultant of oculoplastic surgery or also known as eye plastic. In this speciality, I look after the diseases of an eyelid, the lachrymal system or the tear drainage system, and orbital diseases, i.e, the diseases pertaining to the muscles and other soft tissues which are behind the eye and also the bones which surround the eye.
Today I would like to speak about a very important condition that we handle in this department, and that is the cosmetic rehabilitation of disfigured eyes. Eyes get disfigured or they get damaged, they lose vision due to many conditions. Be it some tumours inside the eye for which the eyes have to be removed, or more commonly during injuries like road traffic accidents or other injuries like assault or chemical injuries like acid or alkali burns.
When we look at a person while interacting, we look at the eye, and therefore it is very important to have a normal appearance in both eyes. If unfortunately, vision cannot be restored in an eye, still, the cosmetic appearance need to be restored to give the patient both psychological confidence, as well as an ability to move about in society with confidence. In this particular condition, we try to customize the treatment, because every person comes with different diseases. We first evaluate it thoroughly and then discuss with the patients about the various treatment options that are available in terms of surgery. The types of implants that are choices available that we can put, and lastly, what kind of surgery will we be undergoing. Once this is decided, the patient undergoes the surgery.
There are different types of surgery like Evisceration, Exenteration, Enucleation, etc. But surgery is only half the part of this treatment. After the surgery, the post-operation period, the patient is carefully monitored for wound healing. And once the wound is healed, which takes about six to eight weeks.
The second part, or even more important part, is fitting with an artificial prosthesis. At our Institute, we have a complete full-fledged custom made artificial eye fitting prosthetic center, where step wise the socket is assessed for the size and various models are made of the artificial eye which are then fitted to the patient and then hand painted to match the other eye. Once this artificial eye is fabricated, the patient is taught in a detailed manner how to wear it, how to take care of it, how to clean it, and then the patient is given instructions as to what medicines are to be put. In this way, we make sure that the patients are satisfied with the appearance. This and many more conditions are treated in such detailed manner at our Institute.
If you have any questions or if you have any queries, or if you have a patient who needs to consult, then please get in touch with me through Lybrate.com. Thank you.read more
Doctors in Wavikar Eye Institute - Thane
Patient Review Highlights
I am so happy that I chose this Wavikar Eye Institute for my treatment as now I am perfectly fine. Even though it's been more than a year, still if I sometimes feel pain and call him, and Wavikar Eye Institute still takes my call in case of any emergency. I read about the Wavikar Eye Institute on one of the social media platform. It's been so long, I have lost all hope, but then I met Wavikar Eye Institute and I am hopeful again that I will be fine. Even in case of emergency, the staff is always willing to help. Wavikar Eye Institute has so much knowledge that for everything my family takes his reference. It was amazing, the Wavikar Eye Institute - Thanel was so nicely made. It was getting very difficult for me to cope us with my weakeyes. He is so nice that they even at odd hours one can call him in case of emergency.
Even though my problem was very big, the entire experience of undergoing poor eye sight treatment was very relaxing. I have consulted so many doctors , but no one was able to solve my poor eye sight. It was getting very difficult for me to cope us with my poor eye sight. All the staff members were very helpful. Not only he is very calm and composed, but is also a very understanding doctor. I saw Wavikar Eye Institute clinic's advertisement in newspaper and that is how we referred him. With great ease Wavikar Eye Institute explained us the problem and how the treatment will be carried out. I'am almost on the path to recovery, Thanks to my Wavikar Eye Institute perfect advice. The overall outlook of the Wavikar Eye Institute - Thane was very nice.
I was in so much pain due to my red eyes. The lab in the Wavikar Eye Institute - Thane was very clean and well managed. I have had this red eyes from quite some time. I am so happy that I chose this Wavikar Eye Institute for my treatment as now I am perfectly fine. The overall atmosphere in the Wavikar Eye Institute - Thane is very soothing. I searched this Wavikar Eye Institute online and saw his reviews. I was having this red eyes, but the symptoms were not very visible. Wavikar Eye Institute has so much knowledge that for everything my family takes his reference. Overall red eyes treatment was very effective.
I was having very bad thoughts regarding my weak eyes. The interior of the Wavikar Eye Institute - Thane was no nicely done, it was so clean. I have had this weak eyes from quite some time. I saw Wavikar Eye Institute clinic's advertisement in newspaper and that is how we referred him. He is not just friendly, but also is very motivating. Wavikar Eye Institute has so much knowledge that for everything my family takes his reference. Even though my problem was very big, the entire experience of undergoing weak eyes treatment was very relaxing.
Overnite my dry eyes issue aggravated. I am so happy with the results of my treatment, that I will surely recommend Chandrashekhar M Wavikar to anyone gladly. The overall atmosphere in the Wavikar Eye Institute - Thane is very soothing. The complete process of dry eyes treatment was so painless and quick, and i am so relieved that I chose to consult him. He is very patient with all his patients. He is not just highly qualified, but has years of experience in handling high risk cases.
I was worried due to Squint. I consulted Dr ChanDrashekhar, he is a well known ophthalmologist in Maharashtra. His advice and counselling has helped me immensely. I thought it was something very normal, but then I realised the squint is something else. Not only he is very calm and composed, but is also a very understanding doctor. The Wavikar Eye Institute is equipped with various facilities.
Dr ChanDrashekhar is really like god send person. Wavikar clinic in thane had all the amenities, a patient requires. I am so thankful that he has given me the best treatment and I am now finally able to get back to my normal self. I saw his clinic's advertisement in newspaper and that is how we referred him.
I was in so much pain due to my eye floaters. Almost all doctors suggested surgery for it, but I did not wanted to go for it for my eye floaters.I was quite worried. Later I visited Wavikar Eye Institute which has a perfect team of specialist. The treatment they suggetsed benefitted em to a great extent.
My premature child was facing some eye related issue due to which I was quite depressed. I consulted Dr ChanDrashekhar. The ROP treatment given by him was very suitable. I owe him a big thank for resolving the issue. He is a patient listener and always suggest the best advice.
I am so happy with the results of my squint treatment, that I will surely recommend Wavikar Eye Institute to anyone gladly. They have excellent team of doctors and I am impressed with the way they treat their patients. I am glad that I chose to visit them .
I am so thankful that they at Wavikar Eye Institute has given me the best advice and I am now finally able to get back to my normal self. The complete process of lasik surgery was so painless and quick, and i am so relieved that I chose to consult there.
Due to my eye problem I consulted them. I am amazed that he is such a sweet doctor, even though he is so busy all the time. Even after my treatment with my old doctor, I never felt so much relief, but Wavikar Eye Institute has treated me completely.
It was very good experience. The set up is good. Staff is well trained
P V Subramaniam
A person is said to have great vision more in the metaphorical way than in the literal sense. However, having both is just so important, especially as the ability to see reduces as a person gets older. Old age comes with its own set of problems, and vision loss is one of them. If kept in check from an early age, however, vision loss can be deferred indefinitely.
- While a person's eyesight is likely to deteriorate over the course of his life, there is a lot which can be done in an effort to make sure that this is not the case. To start with, it makes good sense to be regular with eye check-ups. After a person attains the age of sixty, he or she should have a doctor take a look at his or her eyes on a yearly basis. There is no point trying to conserve eye sight if a person is too late in taking corrective action. By paying a visit to the ophthalmologist, a person will get to know the exact problem that he is suffering from.
- A good diet which is rich in the nutrients which improve a person's eye sight does go a very long way in the long run. A person should make sure that is diverse enough to take care of the needs of a person and should include grapefruit, strawberries as well as berries and nuts.
- One of the main things which can be done in order to preserve the health of a person's eyes until he or she reaches an advanced age is to stop smoking in all forms. As a matter of fact, tobacco leads to cyanide entering the blood stream and this does a lot of damage to the eyes. In fact, quite a few irreversible conditions of the eye are caused due to this.
- Exercise is said to be good for a person at any age for a variety of reasons and it is really good for even the eyes, though the link may not be immediately so clear. It reduces the risk of age related degeneration by up to 70 per cent!
- What is really interesting about a person's eyes is that they can be signs of trouble in other parts of the body. For example, if a person has blurry vision, they should get checked for diabetes. Also, eyes which do not produce enough natural lubrication can show a risk of rheumatoid arthritis and perhaps even thyroid disease.
- All in all, a person's eyesight is so crucial to his or her overall health and wellbeing. We have only one pair of eyes, so we might as well take care of them!
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Astigmatism is an eye condition where there is an imperfection in the curvature of the cornea. The cornea and lens are smooth and equally curved in all directions, which helps to focus the light rays to the retina. But if there is an imperfection in the curvature, then you will suffer from a refractive error. Astigmatism is not an eye disease. It is simply a condition where the eye is not able to focus the light.
Irregular shape of the cornea is the main cause for astigmatism. It might also be caused because of the imperfect shape of the lens. Suffering from astigmatism is very common. You are either born with the condition or you might have developed it after an eye surgery. It is an incorrect concept that watching too much of television or reading without enough light causes astigmatism.
There are three different types of astigmatism:
- Myopic astigmatism: When the principal meridians of the cornea are nearsighted.
- Hyperopic astigmatism: When the principal meridians of the cornea are farsighted.
- Mixed astigmatism: When one of the principal meridians is nearsighted and the other is farsighted.
It can also be classified in two other types:
- Regular astigmatism: When the principal meridians are perpendicular to each other.
- Irregular astigmatism: When the principal meridians are not perpendicular to each other.
Blurry or distorted vision, strain in the eye, eye discomfort, squinting and headaches are a few symptoms of astigmatism
If you notice the symptoms stated above, make sure you pay a visit to your ophthalmologist. If you are suffering from astigmatism, your doctor will do an eye test to check how much your eye is able to focus on light. After conducting his tests, he will determine how much power you have and you will have to wear glasses of that power. Apart from the option of wearing glasses or artificial lenses, you can also go for a surgery to correct the condition. LASIK is an option among the many other options of surgeries available.
Eat foods rich in sulphur. Foods like fish, green vegetables, pineapple, garlic, onion, olive oil, etc are rich in sulphur. Hence, eating these will help you battle astigmatism.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
During removing cap of empty bottle of move pain relief spray. Suddenly some drops hits on my eyes and started burning sensation. Quickly I washed my eye from water. It is slight redness Kindly suggest should I consult to doctor or take medicine. Any causes.
Eyeglasses and contact lenses are both used for vision correction. Both of the options have their advantages and disadvantages but a number of factors like lifestyle, comfort and age etc. are important while deciding which one to choose.
Here is a list of the fundamental differences between using spectacles and using contact lenses:
- Distance from the cornea: Lenses are worn directly on the eye and are in constant physical contact with the cornea while glasses are worn over the eyes. Contact lenses may cause infections in the eye because the user has to touch the eye in order to wear them and to take them off.
- Difference in vision: Since the lenses of spectacles are a little distance away from the eye, vision can be slightly distorted but contact lenses can provide natural and accurate vision. Also, side vision is not improved by glasses as you have to turn your head to see what is beside you. The contacts move around with your eyeballs and the peripheral vision is in focus.
- Ease of use: Some people find eyeglasses difficult to use because of the constant weight on the face and the obstruction caused by the frames of the glasses. There may also be a constant need to adjust the frames. Often eyeglasses slip down the nose when you sweat or engage in rigorous physical activity. Contact lenses are free from all these hassles - they are not distracting or obstructive and so they are extensively used by dancers and athletes. Spectacles is very uncomfortable to wear during the rains or in humid weather because they fog up.
- Infections and complications: Contact lenses can get displaced inside the eye and they can be difficult to reposition. They also cause the eyes to itch and water if you wear them for a very long time at a stretch or if tiny dust particles enter your eyes. The use of eyeglasses is far more flexible in this respect - they can be removed in case your eye itches or burns, but regular use of glasses causes dark circles and bags under the eyes.
- Aesthetic differences: People often prefer contact lenses as they do not change the physical appearance - they help you look natural and you can also use colored lenses to change the color of your eyes. Glasses may look slightly unnatural but some people also prefer them for the fashion quotient. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ophthalmologist.
Diabetic retinopathy is an eye problem that affects the retina of the eye and causes total and irreparable blindness. It usually occurs after 15 to 20 years of diabetes. Poorer the control earlier is the onset. Association of hypertension and increased blood cholesterol make the condition more serious.
In initial stages, there may not be any visual symptoms. Some patients may get macular edema marked with a decrease in the vision without exhibiting diabetic retinopathy.
Here is some important aspect of the disease that you should know:
Symptoms as the condition progress: you might experience blurred or fluctuating vision, impaired color vision, spots or dark strings floating in your vision, dark or empty areas in your vision and an even significant decrease in vision which is not corrected with glasses. Diabetes can cause early cataract formation (diabetic cataract) in the eye.
Causes: In an uncontrolled diabetic patient, the blood supply to the retina is decreased due to vascular constriction, in due course of time. This causes anoxia which promotes new vessel formation which may leak causing macular edema and or exudates. The newly formed vessels are fragile, can cause small projections (aneurysms) or may bleed. This all happens in the most sensitive central part of the retina (macula) thereby affecting vision to varying degree.
Advanced diabetic retinopathy: more edema, exudates, and hemorrhages occur. The newly formed vessels may profusely bleed in the cavity of the eye, seriously affecting vision. In due course of time, retinal fibrosis occurs which may cause retinal detachment and total blindness. Few eyes may develop an increase in intraocular pressure (glaucoma) at any stage of the disease, causing blindness even without advanced diabetic retinopathy.
When does the risk increase: longer the duration, higher the incidence. If you have an uncontrolled blood sugar ideally evaluated by hb1ac (glycosylated HB) test, hypertension and increased cholesterol. Pregnancy too increases the risk. Ethnicity plays an important role. More prevalent in native Americans, Hispanics and Africans and now some studies highlight incidence in southeast Asia, including Indians.
When should you consult ophthalmologist: once you are declared diabetic, you must consult an ophthalmologist. Thereafter as per his advice every one or two years or even early if your control is poor or if your parents suffered from advanced diabetic retinopathy. If you are pregnant, eye examination may be needed frequently. Remember, proper control of risk factors and timely examination and intervention can prevent you from becoming blind. A Recent introduction of oct evaluation & intravitreal therapy has significantly helped patients with diabetic retinopathy.
Seeing halos around street light since fenurary after contracting conjunctivitis, feeling lump in eyes .its been 7 months but still halos are there has it something to do with glaucoma and all?
Eyes need as much regular exercise to keep them healthy as any other organ of the body. Eye exercises are usually designed to provide strength to eye muscles, while improving focus, allowing flexible eye movements and helping stimulate the vision centre of the brain. Eye exercises might not necessarily improve eyesight but they help in preventing eye problems and maintaining the correct eyesight level.
Here are 4 eye exercises that can help strengthen the eye muscles and improve your vision:
1. Blinking - Your eyes get strained due to long hours of sitting at the computer or television and you tend to blink less. Whenever you blink, your eyes stay in darkness for a few microseconds that help to keep the eyes fresh, while reducing eye strain.
2. Palming - This exercise involves three steps:
- Taking a few deep breaths before beginning the exercise
- Make yourself comfortable by resting your elbows on your knees and slowly closing your eyes
- Cover your eyes with the cup of your palm, place your fingers on the forehead and the heel of your hand on your cheekbone
This exercise helps in achieving inner peace and calm and also helps in resting your mind.
3. Figure of eight - This exercise helps in strengthening the eye muscles and provides flexibility. In this exercise, you need to imagine a huge eight in front of your eyes. Slowly turn the 8 on its side. With the help of your eyes slowly trace the figure of 8. Repeat it the other way after a few minutes.
4. Near and far focusing - This exercise helps in strengthening the eye muscles and improves the vision of your eyes. It involves the following steps:
- Either sit or stand in a comfortable position for 2-3 minutes
- Bring your thumb about 10 inches in front of your eyes and try to focus on it
- Now try focusing on an object that is about 10-20 feet in front of your eyes
- Try switching between focusing on the other object and your thumb on each deep breath. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ophthalmologist.
I have got chickenpox and one of my eye is red. Fr 3 days. Its partial red. My question is what medication I require. And how many days it wil take to cure.
Contact lenses are one of the most convenient ways to correct vision related problems. It is easily disposable and requires the least maintenance. It might have minor side effects in the form of irritations and allergies but it requires the least time for adaptability. They help to correct nearsightedness and farsightedness along with astigmatism and age-related vision problems like presbyopia. Following are the benefits and harms of wearing contact lenses.
Positive effects of contact lenses
1. Better vision - Wearing contact lenses improves your vision to a great amount, especially peripheral vision. They are comfortable to wear and can correct both nearsightedness and farsightedness. They can cause discomfort initially but are more effective than glasses. Lenses are also available in bifocals and tints and can be worn for long periods of time.
2. Great for an active lifestyle - Glasses can be a hindrance to sports activities and can limit your peripheral vision. Lenses, on the other hand, are great for an active lifestyle as they require short adaptation period. They are easy to put and take care of and do not require a lot of maintenance on your part as it needs least cleaning.
Risks of wearing contact lenses
1. Dry eyes - Dry eyes are the most common side effects of wearing contact lenses
2. Infections - Contact lenses wearers are prone to infection of the cornea called keratitis. It can cause swelling, blurry vision and other problems due to lack of oxygen supply to the cornea. Infection can be prevented by maintaining the hygiene while wearing and taking off lenses.
3. Allergic reactions - Allergic reaction to the contact lens solution can affect your vision as it causes inflammation of the eyeballs and redness. It can also cause eyelid inflammation and limit your scope of vision. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ophthalmologist.