Consult Online With India's Top Doctors
Common Specialities
Common Issues
Common Treatments

Sir my friend is a avid weed smoker and he has been smoking for more than 10 years. A year back he had almost pshycosis .trigger was lsd. He was lost and acted mad for almost a year and was not smoking weed. He was prescribed oliza 2.5. He became more and more troubled. Then he started smoking weed again. And stopped talking oliza. He was definitely better and was becoming active. But in this lockdown I think he finished up his weed. So 3 weeks ago he stopped talking. His wife was worried and consulted a doctor who said to give oliza again. So she dissolved the pill in meal and gave him. But yesterday he came to know he was given oliza. He instantly said his wife to leave him. And now he is saying he needs weed not medicine. What should we do? I'm very very troubled looking at him as he is my childhood friend.

4 Doctors Answered
Your friend is fooling around with his mental health. I suggest that you admit him to a rehabilitation hospital for at least 6 months until he gets over the addiction and the mental disturbance it has caused. Both weed and lsd can induce psychosis in vulnerable people. It seems like he ad started in his late teens when people are most vulnerable. Since he is showing lack of control over himself and the addiction, any delay may worsen his condition and even his mental stability. Make sure that the rehabilitation center is capable of handling psychotic conditions. Tell his wife not to be worried about his throwing her out. /when he returns to normal, he will realize his mistake and reconcile with her. Even after the therapy, he needs to continue medication and therapy for at least three years before he can be ruled out of his addiction and psychosis. If he is cooperative, these changes can happen. Otherwise he could land up in treatment forever. As a friend you can and should impress upon him the seriousness of his condition.
1 person found this helpful
Dear Lybrateuser, it is really nice of you to take interest in your friend and his life. The lock down time, is the best period to put him in a deaddiction programme. Let his wife join with you in doing so. Without weed, the psychosis can be controlled with antipsychotics like oliza. The dose needs to be increased according to the need and tolerability, that takes 2-3 weeks time without weed. With a doubt of weed intake, doctors give only low dose. In a deaddiction unit adequate dose can be given since weed is not there. Probably your friend is using weed to control his psychosis. Instead of his wife leaving him, let her leave him in deaddiction centre for the time being. Please help her and contact his family also over phone to accept the decision of admitting him.
First of all your friend doesn't want to avoid weed so nobody can help in that situation. He needs counseling and medication for his problem he doesn't listen to anybody in that case he should admit in rehabilitation center .they will take care.
At the outset, my sincere thanks for being so concerned about your friend. From the available history, he has high support need, so he must be admitted to some mental hospital. He also needs injectible anti-psychotic at present as he is refusing oral drugs. One more problem with oliza (olanzapine) is that, if you crush the tablet, its efficacy is almost gone. So, oliza can not be the solution, instead there are other anti-psychotics that are colourless, odourless and tasteless liquid like water, so can be given with food.
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.