My baby girl is 17 months old. Her left chest bone is swollen at one point since she was 11 months old. Yesterday we took her to a paediatric Dr. And after examining my baby he said that my baby is suffering from rickets. He did blood test of calcium and it was 8.8.the doctor prescribed vitamin d3 oral solution 60000 iu. He has prescribed it 2.5 ml per day for 4 days. Then 2.5 ml weekly once for 2 weeks. Then once 2.5 ml in 21 days (for 12 weeks). Is it the correct dose of vitamin d3 or the dose is higher as it is 60000 iu? Also he has given calcimax -d.will my baby's bone becomes normal? Is rickets a serious disease for babies. Please suggest.

Hi Vijya, Rickets is common disease of childhood caused by deficiency of vit d in the body...In children as growing age this presents as deformed bones like frontal bossing of head,,ribs enlargement,,sulcus below chest area or bowing of legs,, wrist widening....that's clinical diagnosis confirmed with testing and xray of wrist etc.....Rickets needs to be treated with vit d supplementation then different regimens to give vit d but u need to complete dosage 6lakh unit total in your case....
Hi Lybrate User, Please get 25 oh vit d3 and x-ray of wrist jst done and consult on chat.
Please don't give vitamin d like that dosage give first dose 5 ml of 60000iu solution, then give 2.5 ml once in a month for 4 doses. This is safer syr. Calcimax plus 5 ml at night after dinner for 6 months this will take care of immunity and chest bulge problems also syr. Zincovit 10 ml after breakfast for 6 months very good for preventing infection and increase appetite.
Rickets is of course is serious disease due gross calcium deficiency. It may damage any bones in the body. Vit. D3 is required to reach calcium to deposit in bones. The treatment is perfect. You also expose the baby to sun light also, so that baby will get vit. D3 naturally.