Zithcure 250 MG Tablet
Zithcure 250 MG Tablet is an antibiotic used to treat different types of infections caused by a variety of bacteria. It belongs to a group of Macrolide Antibiotics useful for treating numerous infections caused by bacteria like middle ear infections, traveler’s diarrhea.
It is prescribed for the treatment of mild to moderate upper and lower respiratory tract infections, infections of the skin and skin structure. The medication also helps against number of intestinal infections and sexually transmitted infections including gonorrhea and chlamydia.
You should not consume the tablet without consulting a doctor if you have:
Few common side effects of this tablet include nausea, vomiting, stomach upset and diarrhoea. An allergic reaction can also occur in rare cases. The dosage will depend on your age, the severity of condition, medical history and how you react to the first dose.
It is also used for preventing or delaying the onset of infection with Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC). Also, prescribed for prophylaxis of bacterial endocarditis in patients who are allergic to penicillin and undergoing surgical or dental procedures.
Along with other medications, it is sometimes used for curing malaria. This drug is also used to treat several intestinal infections and sexually transmitted infections. This medicine is not recommended for use in case of common cold, flu or viral infection since it is active against infections caused by bacteria only.
Symptoms of overdose include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, prostration. Treatment is supportive and symptomatic. Take as directed. Take all of prescribed medication. Do not discontinue until prescription is completed.
Take suspension 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals; tablet form may be taken with meals to decrease GI effects. Do not take with aluminum- or magnesium-containing antacids. May cause transient abdominal distress, diarrhea, headache.
Report signs of additional infections (eg, sores in mouth or vagina, vaginal discharge, unresolved fever, severe vomiting, or diarrhea). Safety and efficacy of Zithcure 250 MG Tablet have not been established in children <6 months of age with acute otitis media and in children <2 years of age with pharyngitis/tonsillitis.
Severe Liver Impairment
How long is the duration of effect?The effect of this drug lasts for an average duration of 2 to 4 days.
What is the onset of action?The effect of this drug can be observed within 2 to 3 hours of dose administration.
Are there any pregnancy warnings?
This drug is not recommended for use by pregnant women unless extremely necessary. Consult your doctor to weigh the risks and benefits of taking it.
Is it habit forming?No habit forming tendency has been reported.
Are there any breast-feeding warnings?
This drug is not recommended for the breastfeeding mothers unless extremely necessary. Close monitoring of the infant will be required if taking it at all.
Is It safe with alcohol?
Interaction with alcohol is unknown. Consult a doctor before taking the medicine when consuming alcohol.
Is it safe to drive while on this medicine?
The side effects of this drug can be adverse and when facing the same, driving should be completely avoided.
Does this affect liver function?
It should be avoided if the person is suffering from any type of liver disease.
Does this affect kidney function?Caution must be taken while taking this medication in patients with kidney disease. Adjustment of dose is required, thus consult your doctor before taking Zithcure 250 MG Tablet.
Below is the list of medicines, which have the same composition, strength and form as Zithcure 250 MG Tablet , and hence can be used as its substitute.
Are there any missed dose instructions?
Take the missed dose as soon as possible and avoid taking it if its almost time for the other dose.
Are there any overdose instructions?
A doctor should be consulted immediately if such a situation is suspected.
This medicine works by inhibiting protein synthesis by binding itself to 50S ribosomal subunits of the sensitive micro-organism. This infringes with transpeptidation and translocation and thus inhibits protein synthesis and cell growth.
Whenever you take more than one medicine, or mix it with certain foods or beverages, you"re at risk of a drug interaction.
Interaction with Alcohol
Interaction with Lab Test
Interaction with Medicine
- May inhibit CYP3A3/4 enzyme (mild).
- Increased effect/toxicity: Zithcure 250 MG Tablet may increase levels of tacrolimus, phenytoin, ergot alkaloids, alfentanil, astemizole, terfenadine, bromocriptine, carbamazepine, cyclosporine, digoxin, disopyramide, and triazolam; Zithcure 250 MG Tablet did not affect the response to warfarin or theophylline although caution is advised when administered together.
- Avoid use with pimozide due to significant risk of cardiotoxicity.
Interaction with Food
Interaction with Disease
- Qt Prolongation: Inform your doctor if you have an arrhythmia, any heart disease or drugs that prolong QT interval such as psychiatric drugs, anti-arrhythmic drugs.
- Liver Disease: Inform your doctor if you have any liver disease and drugs that cause liver damage (Eg: TB drugs, HIV drugs).
- Myasthenia Gravis: This medicine has certain interactions with diseases. A few of the diseases it interacts with are QT Prolongation, Liver disease and Myasthenia Gravis.
- Use with caution in patients with hepatic dysfunction; hepatic impairment with or without jaundice has occurred chiefly in older children and adults.
- It may be accompanied by malaise, nausea, vomiting, abdominal colic, and fever; discontinue use if these occur.
- May mask or delay symptoms of incubating gonorrhea or syphilis, so appropriate culture and susceptibility tests should be performed prior to initiating Zithcure 250 MG Tablet.
- Pseudomembranous colitis has been reported with use of macrolide antibiotics.
Ques: What is Zithcure 250 MG Tablet?
Ques: What are the uses of Zithcure 250 MG Tablet?
Ques: What are the Side Effects of Zithcure 250 MG Tablet?
Ques: What are the instructions for storage and disposal Zithcure 250 MG Tablet?
Ques: Can the use of Zithcure 250 MG Tablet cause diarrhea?
Ques: Is Zithcure 250 MG Tablet safe?
Ques: Is Zithcure 250 MG Tablet an antibiotic?
Ques: What if I don't get better even after taking Zithcure 250 MG Tablet?
Lybrate is a medium to provide our audience with the common information on medicines and does not guarantee its accuracy or exhaustiveness. Even if there is no mention of a warning for any drug or combination, it never means that we are claiming that the drug or combination is safe for consumption without any proper consultation with an expert.
Lybrate does not take responsibility for any aspect of medicines or treatments. If you have any doubts about your medication, we strongly recommend you to see a doctor immediately.