What is the remedy about?
Snoring is a common problem and occurs when the relaxed structures present in your throat starts vibrating and makes noise. It is sometimes also considered to be a sleeping disorder and may be a reason for concern. The following home remedies can help to stop your problem of snoring:
- Peppermint contains anti-inflammatory properties that reduce the swelling of your membranes that are present in the lining of the nostrils and throat. It helps to promote smooth and easy breathing. You can add 1 or 2 drops of peppermint oil in water and gargle with that solution daily.
- Olive oil, another anti-inflammatory agent helps to ease out all the tissues that are present along your respiratory passage. This eventually results in the swellings to reduce, providing a clear passage for air to pass through. Have 2-3 sips of olive oil before you go to bed regularly. You can also mix it with a bit of honey.
- One of the prime reasons for snoring is nasal congestion. Inhaling steam can be the best remedy for treating a nasal congestion. You only have to put a few drops of essential or tea tree oil in a bowl of boiling water and inhale the hot steam. Do this regularly for around 10 minutes until your nose gets cleared.
- Cardamom is a decongestant that helps to open up blocked nasal passages. Once your nasal passage is cleared, your snoring will automatically reduce. Add half a spoon of cardamom powder to a glass of warm water and drink the mixture regularly 30 minutes before going to bed.
- Both antibiotic and antiseptic, turmeric can help to treat inflammation and gradually reduce heavy snoring. It also aids in boosting your immune system. Add two spoons of turmeric powder to a glass of warm milk and drink it half an hour before retiring to bed. Make sure you do it on a regular basis.
Are there any side effects?
The possible side effects of practising these home remedies could be:
- If you are using peppermint oil to gargle, make sure that you do not swallow it. There is a possibility of triggering an allergic reaction, heartburn, mouth sores or headaches.
- Olive oil may lower down the level of blood sugar in some cases. Diabetic patients must keep a check on their sugar level if consuming olive oil on a regular basis.
- For people having gallstones, it is advisable not to have cardamom in excessive amounts. It can trigger spasmodic pain.
- Consumption of turmeric may sometimes lead to nausea, dizziness, stomach upset and diarrhea. Apart from that, excessive consumption of turmeric prevents proper absorption of iron. So, people who have iron deficiency must be careful when consuming turmeric. Moreover, turmeric and milk can also have side effects on people who are lactose intolerant.
What are the post-remedy guidelines?
The post remedy guidelines include:
- Try changing your sleeping position. Sleeping on your side can help to reduce snoring.
- If you notice that you have gained weight around your neck, it can be a reason that causes you to snore at night. In that case, try losing weight.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Get rid of your poor sleeping habits. Ensure that you get an adequate amount of sleep. When you work for long hours, you tend to get exhausted when you finally go to bed. When you are in deep sleep, the muscles tend to become sloppier.
- Make sure that you drink a lot of fluids and keep yourself hydrated.
How long does it take to recover?
With proper and correct application of these home remedies, you can notice a significant change in your snoring habit within two to four weeks. If there is no marked improvement, you may need to consult a doctor.
Are the results of the remedy permanent?
By taking proper care of your health and leading a good lifestyle, you can cure the problem of snoring completely. However, further problems in sleeping, sudden weight gain or other nasal problems can result in snoring to recur.
Is there any training or experts required?
You do not require any special expertise and training for practicing any of these home remedies. The ingredients are easily available in the market. However, you may consult your doctor once before consuming anything on a daily basis in case you have a medical condition.