I would like to to ask for some helpful suggestion regarding my mother, aged 61.In 2005 she fell down from our home stairs, in that incident accept her knee joints, everything was fine. The bad thing about the knee join happened was on on of her legs her knee joint bones were 90% shattered. She went through 2 surgeries in a span of next 5 years, 1st surgery was to fill in and repair the ankle joint with some kind of "Filling"(that's what the Orthopedic Surgeon said. It was going to heal in time but the doctor said that now that ankle movement will be fixed (not movable any direction. She was okay with that and after few physiotherapy sessions she was walking without any pain. From January 2015, she suddenly started to feel numbness in the operated leg, and she started getting hamstrings regularly. When she got diagnosed it was discovered that the initial fall also caused her slipped disc and now the bone in her waist is ruptured in a way which also tangled few nerves or veins. The orthopedic doctor said it is a very risky to operate now as if any vein tangled gets cut, they won't be able to stop the bleeding. So they asked her to move on. She didn't gave up and still trying with Herbal and acupuncture treatments but day by day it's getting worse. She can't stand straight for a second without holding anything. Nowadays she use to walk with her upper half bend little forward. I ask why you can't stand straight, she says whenever she tries it always causes her immense hamstring (both under thighs. She is having blood pressure for along time and take meds for them regularly and its in control. If you can help me out with any suggestion that could ease the pain of her hamstring (she can't bend her ankles, then it would be very helpful. Thank You. With regards. Niloy Bhattacharya.

Hello. Its sad to know the debilitating condition of your mother. By history it seems your mother is having neurogenic claudication (back pain radiating to thighs, gets better in stooping posture and worsens on standing or walking straight ). It is caused by nerve root compression (not disc problem, which will infact worsen on bending forward ). Pls see a neurosurgeon for what can be done to relieve this nerve compression. Ankles I guess would have fused thus not allowing movement at the joint. Will require X rays of ankles and knees to assess further.
For pain do Take UST and IFT for 12 days followed by strengthening and Rehabilitation exercises from physiotherapist Best wishes.