Get help from best doctors, anonymously
Common Specialities
Common Issues
Common Treatments

I am a 24 year old male. I am having problems speaking properly mainly due to breathlessness. I also get sudden panic attacks when others call my name in meetings etc causing me to stutter in my speech. Sometimes I just cannot start with the word I want to start with, and I instead have to insert two words before starting the sentence, like "Um" "Basically" "So. Etc. I think I have some sort of anxiety disorder. Its gradually becoming worse, due to which I'm avoiding many things I normally enjoy like team outings, group events etc, simply because I can't talk properly. Is there any over the counter medication to relieve this anxiety/panic attack problem?

2 Doctors Answered
The symptoms you have described suggest more towards a social anxiety disorder. People who are very shy, have fear of being criticised in public have these symptoms. There are anti anxiety drugs available for treatment. But more so practising in front of mirror, doing relaxation techniques is a must too. Your problem can be settled in course of time with treatment. Kindly consult a psychiatrist.
Um is the lebih dwntal sound. Not to worry. When speaking with new personal. Not to hurry, speak slowly, otherwise lose your Residual voice. Take care of your hygiene Thanks.
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.