I am taking tinidazole for gut bacteria. It prohibits alcohol intake. I accidentally took 140 ml of alcohol. What should I do now? Should I stop taking tinidazole or continue my medication?

Had you taken medicine before? Alcohol may result in throbbing in the head and neck, irregular heart beat, rapid heart beat, low blood pressure, sweating, nausea, and vomiting. This interaction may last from 30 to 60 minutes to several hours, depending on the amount of alcohol consumed. If not then let alcohol get out of your body. In future avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine. The amount of alcohol required to cause this interaction varies with individuals. Do not stop, or change your medicine. Change in diet may also be required while on this medicine consult your doctor for details. Are you sure its a medicine for gut bacteria it is mostly used to treat certain types of parasite infections (giardiasis, amebiasis). A treatment for a variety of amoebic and parasitic infections.
Dear lybrate-user, it is alright. You can continue and finish the course of tinidazole. With tinidazole, you would not have enjoyed alcohol as much as you enjoy otherwise.
Hi lybrate-user, in future avoid alcohol intake while on medication not immediately at least. With regards,
Yes tinidazole and alcohol do not go well together and you might need to use alcohol, if that is so necessary after you finish your course of antibiotics that include tinidazole or just that antibiotic alone. You may have what we call reactions when you combine tinidazole with alcohol that can many times be very uncomfortable and you might even end up in the emergency room. If you have further questions or would like to quit alcohol, do call us so that we can help you. Look forward to hearing from you. If you need help with booking an appointment online with me on this website either text, an appointment for a confidential and private consultation you may do so by contacting the help desk of Lybrate.