Patient Review Highlights
It was a bad case of depression. He is very courteous and behaves very aptly with elder patients. I was quite concerned, as my health was degrading day by day, but due to my Ritesh Chawla and the depression treatment I didn't lose hope. The nurses at the Deevya Ayurveda & Panchkarma Centre were really helpful. He definitely is aware about the latest and advanced ways to treat serious cases. As someone I knew, consulted therRitesh Chawla and they referred us. The interior of the Deevya Ayurveda & Panchkarma Centre was no nicely done, it was so clean. hertreatment suited me the best and now I am fine.
With the help of his treatment for gain weight I am feeling so great. I had lost hope, but the gain weight treatment given by Ritesh Chawla has helped me regain my confidence. I was suffering from gain weight for such a long time. All the staff members were very helpful. Ritesh Chawla has in depth knowledge and ensures that he explains the problem in detail. It was amazing, the Deevya Ayurveda & Panchkarma Centrel was so nicely made. Initially the symptoms of gain weight were not that severe but then it became worse. He is not just friendly, but also is very motivating.
In nov. 2016 i face a swear pain in my spine, thy,&legs. I took lot of medicine continuesly for three months.I got temporary relief. Then I started panchkarma therapy continuesly for ten days.i got 70% relief.i stopped all pain killers .Panchkarma treatment worked very fast which I was not expecting. Now I am able to drive everything.i am able to walk , work, and my other activities also. My message to all who are facing my type disease contact to Dr. Ritesh for panchkarma therapy , you will feel a good result.I feel Panchkarma work fast not slow.
He is not just friendly, but also is very motivating. The Deevya Ayurveda & Panchkarma Centre is decorated very nicely and doesn't look like a hospital. During the complete difficulty sleeping treatment program he always supported and motivated me. It was a bad case of difficulty sleeping. Many people gave very positive feedback for therRitesh Chawla. Ritesh Chawla has so much knowledge that for everything my family takes herreference.
I was shocked to experience the symptoms of problems to lose weight. I found the Deevya Centre itself quite pleasant. I am so happy that I chose Dr Chawla for my treatment as now I am perfectly fine. Our family physician personally recommended this doctor. He is one of the best physicians in city. he has expert knowledge in the field. It's been more than a year now, and I have noticed considerable change in myself.
Overall headaches treatment was very effective . dr Ritesh Chawla helped me imensly to deal with my issue. He ensures that he listens to his patients. He has expert knowledge in the field of Ayurveda . I am so much benefitted with his treatment, that i am perfectly fine now. Deevya Ayurveda & Panchkarma Centre can handle all types of emergency cases and it is well maintained.
Dr Chawla is really like god send person. With great ease he explained my wife the problem and how the treatment of no periods will be carried out. The staff was very attentive to her needs. The Deevya Ayurveda Centre have proper facilities for disabled patients as well. Finally with his treatment, she is completely cured .
I was unable to gain weight, I chose to consult ayurveda specialist, Dr Ritesh. He asked me number of questions in order to know the major cause and then started the treatment. Thoug it took some time to show the result but over the period od time I started noticing considerable changes in myself.
It was getting very difficult for me to cope us with my masturbation addiction. I chose to consult Dr Ritesh who is an Ayurveda specialist. His treatment benefitted me alot and I am happy that I chose to consult him. Everything was just spick and span in the Deevya Ayurveda & Panchkarma Centre.
i only believe in Ayurvedic medicines as allopathy gives side effects with the treatment too and only finishes the problem temporarily. I took medication from dr Ritesh Chawla at his clinic Deevya Ayurveda & Panchkarma Centre in Amritsar.
I visited for my hair loss problem and he solved all my queries regarding hair problem. His all answers were very well reasoned. Now after taking his medicines for 3months my hair loss has stopped. Thanks to him he solved my problem.
He examined the hair and advised me few medicines along with a organic hair colour. After its usage my hair texture is improved and the organic colour has given me a natural look. No chemically dyed black hair.
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Jaskirat Kaur to be very helpful, thorough and knowledgeable. It was good dealing with the Dr and treatment was also effective
I consulted the doctor for my mother regarding her stomach pain. She helped to solve her.Thanks to.her knowledge as this pain.was hurting her from.many years.
My 6 years old daughter was anaemic.No medicine was working But Dr. Jaskirat diagnosed the real issue and treated my daughter. Thanks Dr. MAy god bless you
Dr. Ritesh Chawla provides answers that are inspiring, professional and helped me improve my health. I found the answet to be well reasoned and helpful
Dr. Ritesh Chawla, a very helpful and nice doctor who advised me at the time of my painful moment and his advice helped me a lot . THANK YOU soo much.
I took medicine for my Dandruff and itchinng problem and its solved now. No more itching irritates me and my dadruff is also reduced cery much
I consulted for my mom and she helped to improve her condition. She is feeling very better after the ayurvedic treatment. Thanks to the Dr
She was suffering with backpain and legpain. The doctor suggested her few tips along with diet and she has recoverd alot from the pains..
a very nice and intelligent doctor. She treated my BP problem of 20 years with her magical Ayurvedic medicine in 6 months.
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Ritesh Chawla to be knowledgeable, very helpful and nurturing. Thank u sir
Vaginal discharge is a normal physiological phenomenon, in which the consistency of vaginal discharge varies throughout the cycle. Healthy vaginal discharge is clear or white in colour, with normal and non-offensive odour. Sometimes right before menstruation, your vaginal discharge may hold a brownish tinge.
The consistency of the discharge varies mostly on the hormonal changes in the body. When the levels of oestrogen are low, the cervical mucus that is liberated as discharge may be perceived as sticky and thick. When the oestrogen levels rise up, the discharge becomes wetter, more stretchy and clearer. Also, after ovulation, the consistency becomes thicker again.
When should you worry about the vaginal discharge?
Greenish, greyish or absurdly brownish in colour. When the discharge appears thicker than normal. When the discharge is more than normal. When it smells absurd like fishy or rotten meat like smell, pus like discharge, white with cottage cheese like discharge. When the discharge is associated with bloody discharge and burning sensation, rash or soreness.
Diseases caused by vaginal discharge
- Yeast infection: the vaginal discharge is cottage cheese like and may be associated with itching of the vulva. This is also called as thrush. It can be treated easily with ayurvedic medicines.
- Vaginitis: yellowish offensive discharge, which may be profuse, associated with itching and abdominal pain.
- Trichomoniasis: this disease is asymptomatic in most cases and you may notice purulent discharge.
Ayurvedic medicines and panchkarma procedures can manage it effectely. For taking consultations you can talk with our experts.
Caught in the mundane chores and uniformity of daily pressures, your love life may suffer quite badly. All couples come to a point where one or both of them are either not interested in physical love anymore or too tired to get frisky. This can affect both life not only physically but also emotionally. Even if you have sex, it becomes dull, boring and unpleasant.
Getting the spark back!
Problems with a dull sex life do not have to mean a complete removal of sex from your relationship. Bringing your sex life on track might take a while, but can be quite easily achieved. Understanding yourself, knowing what gives you pleasure and sharing a romantic relationship with your partner are the key elements of a happy and satisfying sexual life. Some of the tips to get the spark back in your sex life are as follows:
Communicate: communication is the key to resolving all problems. Many couples feel afraid to talk about sexual issues, but this should not be the case. Talk to your partner about why you are feeling disinterested. Discuss if you are going through a difficult physical transition such as menopause or other physical ailments. It is better to tell the truth and not let your partner just assume that you may not be attracted towards him or her. Be honest if you are failing to have an orgasm. Proper communication is the first step in trying to resolve a problem. Educate yourself: in today’s world, finding a solution to sexual problems is no big issue as you can always look up to the internet for information. Go through books, magazines or other items available which will give a clear explanation to all your queries. Create a comfortable, quiet and interference free atmosphere. Age is also a factor that might lead to reduced libido but creating romantic settings might help in bringing the passion back. Keep away from blame and criticism: try not to introduce any issue which might lead to a big fight. Criticizing at this point of time should also be avoided as it can flare up into an argument. Be stress free try and keep all the work problems away while you are with your partner. Lighten up and focus on your partner and the total experience rather than only aiming to fulfil a goal. Maintaining a stress free attitude helps in makings sex more enjoyable. Relax and be flexible relaxing helps you feeling more focussed and enhances your sexual energy. Flexibility to your partners needs only makes them more attracted and aroused by you. Thus physical and emotional flexibility can help in bringing back the spark into your sex life. Good health: your physical and emotional health also affects your sex life. Reducing the intake of alcohol, abstaining from smoke, eating healthy and adequate exercise and meditating to calm your mind helps immensely to maintain a good shape and in turn happy sexual life.
Female dyspareunia refers to painful intercourse. It is estimated that 8 to 21% of women experience this at some point in their lives. Pain during or after intercourse is disturbing and restricts partners need for intimacy. It leaves the partners with an unpleasant experience and may lead to frustrations, anxiety and fear of sex. There is little awareness among couples about dyspareunia and thus a painful experience is sometimes confusing for the other partner and often invites fights and arguments rather than support and understanding.
Women with dyspareunia suffer pain in genitalia or deeper in the pelvis, vulva or vagina. It is more common among women after menopause; however, many women experience pain right from their first sexual attempt or just after initiation while some at deeper penetration.
Causes of dyspareunia could be medical, psychosocial or both. Medical conditions can be cured but often there are underlying personal and psychological factors which need to be addressed usually by counsellors or sexologists.
Diagnosis of the problem begins with a physical examination of the vulva. Apart from this an internal pelvic examination may also be required. A doctor takes into account the nature, extent and duration of pain in determining possible causes and deciding the mode of treatment. During interaction with the patient, various other psychosocial factors are also revealed that must be addressed for holistic treatment.
Medical conditions that could cause pain during or after intercourse are many including lesions, thin skin, scar tissues or ulcers. Infections like uti, herpes, yeast infections, chlamydia, trichomoniasis can also cause pain.
Treatment of infections is through drugs and creams.
- Apart from this, infections of the fallopian tubes or conditions like ovarian cysts, fibroids, tumours or endometriosis could be a reason for deeper and intense pain. In most of the cases, panchkarma is the option.
- Lack of oestrogen is another major cause for this type of pain. Oestrogen deficiency can cause lack of lubrication making vaginal area dry. This can cause painful friction during intercourse. Along with lubricants, a natural herbal treatment is given.
- Apart from medical causes, fears or anxieties associated with sex can sometimes lead to pain. Lack of harmony in relationships can lead to loss of desire for sex leading to vaginal dryness and discomfort. A traumatic sexual experience of the past may also inhibit a partner to be at peace in the act and may invite psychosomatic problems. It is important for the partner to be sensitive and lend a hand of support. Understanding how a partner wishes to be caressed and touched and making efforts towards providing a sexually exciting experience can go a long way in removing partner’s inhibitions/fears and introducing positive sparks in the relationship. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult our herbal panchkarma experts.
Vata diseases. Dryness of the body. Constipation. Neuro muscular skeletal diseases. Preparation for detoxification therapy (vaman and virechana). Oleation (snehana) – internal is carried out as singular therapeutic measure for many diseases but in majority of the cases it is done as preparatory treatment for shodhana therapy (vaman and virechana) procedure
Oleation (snehana) – internal is carried out mainly with the help of medicated ghee selected accordingly to the disease dosha condition in gradually increasing doses after assessing the agni. At times combination of various other material like oil, ghee, vasa, majja or their combinations are used. There are two methods for internal oleation:
Acchha sneha. Where a sneha drug (ghee or other) is directly ingested without any addition except a pinch of saindhava. Vicharana sneha. In this case the sneha is mixed with some or other food eaten or it is taken by some other route than oral routediet
Before the oleation (snehana) – internal has to be taken on empty stomach if it is to be used for shodhana therapy. The patient should have taken his last food atleast 10 hrs prior to snehapan. After patient is advised to have only warm water after snehapan (normaly ghee). If other material is used for snehana then accordingly various soups are to be used. Patient is not supposed to have anything except hot water until he still has the smell of the ghee in his eructation. Food should be consumed only when patients feel hungry. Heavy, very spicy junk food must be avoided during the course of the treatment.
Benefitsoleates the body. Moisturizes the entire body from within outside. Improves the elasticity of the body. Increases the mobility of the all the systems. Alleviates the vata. Reduces the pains, aches from the muscle adjoining skeletal system. Dislodges the toxins of the body helps in bringing to the gi tract.
The oleation (snehana) – internal should not be carried out without consultation. Should not be used in the patient with intolerance without testing. The doses has to be increased gradually.
Panchakarma is the ultimate mind-body healing experience for detoxifying the body, strengthening the immune system, and restoring balance and well-being. It is one the most effective healing modality in ayurvedic medicine. It promotes detoxification and rejuvenation. It is recommended on a seasonal basis, as well as when an individual feels out of balance or is experiencing illness.
- Panchakarma is a sanskrit word that means “five actions” or “five treatments”. This is a process used to clean the body of toxic materials left by disease and poor nutrition. Normally the body has the innate ability to efficiently process and remove these waste materials, including the vitiated doshas. However due to one’s repeated dietary indiscretions, poor exercise patterns, lifestyle, and genetic predisposition the digestive enzymes, metabolic co-factors, hormones, and agnis which regulate the body’s internal homeostasis become disorganized. This can lead to the accumulation and spread of toxins throughout the physiology resulting in disease. This waste matter is called ama in ayurveda. Ama is a foul-smelling, sticky, harmful substance that needs to be completely evacuated from the body.
- Panchakarma will remove the excess doshas and correct imbalances in them as well as eliminate the harmful ama out of your system through the body’s own organs and channels of elimination (colon, sweat glands, lungs, bladder, urinary tract, stomach, intestines, etc). Panchakarma purifies the tissues at a very deep level. It involves daily massages and oil baths, herbal enemas, nasal administrations. It is a very pleasurable experience. Ayurveda recommends panchakarma as a seasonal treatment for maintaining mental and physical hygiene and balance.
- Panchakarma is a five-fold therapy; it is highly individualized based on the needs of the individual depending on the ayurvedic constitutional type, doshic imbalances, age, digestive strength, immune status, and many other factors. Depending on each individual’s needs all or only parts of the five therapies are utilized. Specially trained therapists must administer these procedures in a definite sequence for a specified period of time. In addition, although panchakarma is for the most part a delightful and comfortable therapy, there can be periods of discomfort associated with the profound release of toxins, which does occur. It is therefore essential that a knowledgeable expert who can recognize the signs of properly and improperly administered panchakarma supervise the therapy. Fortunately these signs were meticulously recorded by the ancient vaidyas.
- The panchakarma means pancha and karma. Pancha means five and karma means therapy (treatment).
The five methods or panchakarma are the elimination of vitiated doshas from the body.
- Bastianuvasana vastiniroohavasti
Before doing this panchakarma procedures a physician has to consider the strength, age, sex, disease condition, constitution etc, of the patient.
The vitiated doshas will be eliminated from the body through the elementary tract. The power of digestion and metabolism is enhanced. Diseases are cured and health is restored. The sense faculties, mind, intelligence and complexion becomes clear. Gains strength. The individual will not be affected by old age and lives long healthily. Rejuvenates the body. Prevents diseases in the body. Increases power of immunity. Nourishes the body. Revitalises the nervous system.
Diwali is a great time for family reunion. Festivities, fun and frolic rule the atmosphere. Amidst all kinds of pujas and other rituals, bursting crackers happens to be an integral part of it. This not only pollutes the atmosphere, but also affects the health of the people. Bursting crackers leads to the release of heavy metals like potassium chlorate, arsenic sulphite, sulphur, aluminium and copper into the air. This results in the deposition of high levels of residual particulate matter or rpm and suspended particulate matter or spm. These things emanating from the crackers are responsible for allergies. Many problems in the skin may start occurring and may even result in medical hazards.
In order to take care of your skin and avoid any kind of serious allergy or skin problem, follow these steps:
Crackers and fireworks should always be handled with care. They have many chemical components like charcoal, sulphur and potassium nitrate present in them. Also, they have substances which emits bright and colorful light. Those who are vulnerable to allergies such as running nose, skin rashes and itching skin allergy due to crackers, the situation may worsen if tight clothes are worn. They can further aggravate the rashes. A cool compress or a shower is the best way to get relief from a rash, which is itching or burning like fire. Then it has to be patted dry and moisturized. Aloevera can bring great relief for inflammation. In case of any burn or any itching or any reaction on skin alovera will work very effextively, so it should always be kept handy. In case the symptoms are too severe, and a doctor is not available immediately damp dressing is the best solution. A soft cotton piece of cloth should be soaked in raw milk. It should be then wrung out little and used to cover the affected area or the whole body.
All the above-mentioned methods are good ways to take care of skin allergies during diwali. However, there might be some skin problems which do not go on their own. In those cases, the help of a doctor is the ultimate solution. Consult our experts get answers to your questions!
Polycystic ovary disease or pcod is a kind of hormonal disorder in which a woman produces a surplus of male hormones like testosterone.
High levels of male hormones produce symptoms like irregular ovulation or no ovulation at all. In simple words, women with pcod or pcos don’t release a mature egg from their ovaries every month resulting in infertility. Pcod affects one in 10 women worldwide.
Women suffering from pcod suffer from symptoms like heavy vaginal bleeding. This is because, as they don’t ovulate and produce the hormone progesterone like normal women do and have normal periods, the lining of their uteri becomes thick leading to heavy bleeding and sometimes uterine cancer.
The other common symptoms of pcos are:
- Weight gain
- Oily skin
- Heart problems
- Irregular periods
- Mood swings and depression
There is a propensity for developing diabetes as well in pcos affected, as a number of women with pcod are resistant to the action of the hormone insulin used for sugar metabolism. This means that it takes larger than normal amounts of insulin to maintain normal blood sugar levels. Though fairly common, pcod has no surefire cure in mainstream allopathic medicine but ayurveda can help alleviate pcod symptoms in a big way.
Pcod - how ayurveda can help?
In ayurveda, pcod is caused due to an imbalance of doshas vata (air) pitta (fire) and kapha (water). Aggravated pitta causes contamination of the dhatus or tissues like blood and plasma. This causes a buildup of toxins or ama in the body.
In pcos patients, these toxins get accumulated in the channels, leading to an imbalance of hormones secreted by the pituitary gland. This results in an imbalance of female hormones and causes the formation of ovarian cysts which is nothing but a collection of fluids within the ovary, anovulatory periods or periods with no ovulation etc.
Ayurvedic herbal remedies for pcod
Ayurveda works on these problems:
-correcting hormonal imbalance
- reducing high cholesterol levels
-treatment for insulin resistance
Herbs like ashoka (saraca asoca), dashamoola are amongst a group of herbs which are used to prepare sukumara kashaya like ashwagandha, eranda, shatavari etc for correcting hormonal imbalance.
Other drugs for curing pcos are-
1. Shatavari or asparagus racemosus
This helps mainly in promoting normal development of ovarian follicles. It also regulates periods and aids in revitalizing the female reproductive system. Shatavari also helps in controlling high levels of insulin due to pcos, due to its phytoestrogen or natural plant based estrogen levels.
Guduchi is a powerful anti- inflammatory herb. We know that chronic inflammation in body tissues is the root cause for insulin imbalance and ovarian cysts in women. This herb helps in revitalizing body tissues and lowering insulin resistance.
3. Shatapushpa or fennel
Fennel seeds are used as a supplement as the phytoestrogens in them bring down inflammation and control insulin resistance.
Triphala is rich in vitamin c- a powerful natural antioxidant that helps in reducing inflammation by reducing free radicals. Hence this remedy is excellent for cleansing and detoxifying systems and is therefore best taken prior to taking any other ayurvedic medicines to improve outcome.
5. Aloe vera- kumari (aloe barbadensis)
Aloe vera is yet another ayurvedic herb that is extremely beneficial in treating pcos as it helps in regularizing menstrual cycles and promote normal menstruation. It also normalizes hormonal imbalance.
6. Detoxification of body with panchkarma procedures can work wonder in such cases.
Very fast results can be attained with these detoxifying panchkarma procedures.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can ask a free question with our panchkarma expert.
Abhayangam or snehan means body massage. It can be done on full body or on the affected part. It is one of the pre-purification measures of detox therapy and in certain diseases it can work as main therapy. Oil is massaged into the skin through gentle to medium pressured strokes; that helps to eliminate body toxins and makes the superficial and deep skin tissues soft and supple. Snehana is done daily for three to seven days or more, as indicated by panchkarma physician.
Indication: vata diseases like joint pain neuromuscular skeletal diseases, fatigue, dryness of the body, as rejuvenative technique, anti wrinkle and anti ageing.
Abhyangam is the application of warm, herb-infused oil to the entire body from head to toe. As the oil is applied to the skin using rhythmic motions and synchronized massage movements; it penetrates deep into the tissues to eliminate toxins at the cellular level. It prepares the body for shoddhan procedures like vaman (medicated emesis) and virechana (medicated purgation).
Post abhyangam: steam with herbal decoction is advised after this process so that the deep seated toxins get eliminated outof the body through sweating.
Patient is advised not to have a heavy meal before the therapy. He can consume liquid foods like hot milk or soup in moderation prior to procedure.
After therapy: patient is advised not to have anything for procedure. Heavy, spicy and junk food must be avoided during the course of the treatment.
- Rejuvenates whole body
- Enhances blood circulation
- Beautifies and moisturizes the skin
- Tones muscles and increases tissue strength
- Enhances joint mobility
- Alleviates vata dosha
- Reduces the pains and aches in the muscles and the adjoining skeletal system
- Removes the toxins of the body
- For taking any advise regarding panchkarma you can contact our panchkarma experts.
Are you thinking of undergoing an ayurvedic panchakarma treatment for its various health benefits? in panchakarma treatment, five procedures are undertaken for eliminating the vitalized doshas from the body. The five procedures are nasyam (medicines injected through nose), vaman (medicated emesis) virechan (medicated purgation) anuvasan vasti (medicated oil enema) niruha vasti (medicated dexoction enema). Among these five types vasti is considered to be the primary panchakarma treatment and it refers to medicated enema (injecting medicines through anus). As the medicine reaches the bowels directly without any enzymatic actions, this therapy is very effective.
Types of vasti
Vasti is carried out along with other ayurvedic treatments in many cases. Vasti has a great healing capability and is considered to be the half treatment for many diseases. The treatment is primarily used for flushing out loosened doshas from the body via the intestinal tract. In ayurveda, there are several types of vasti or medicated enemas. Here is a list of the most common vastis in ayurveda along with their various benefits:
Uro vasti: urobasti is a herbal oil treatment therapy, which is used as a part of panchakarma therapy for the treatment of muscular chest pain, cardiac problems. Problems such as pain in the sternum, intense anxiety, chest pain and many others are cured by this form of vasti. It also helps in restoring normal skin elasticity.
Kati vasti: this is a type of vasti in which heat gets applied to a specific part of the back. It is done by retaining warm and medicated oils. A dam, made of herbal dough, gets built in the area which is affected in the back and oil is poured. The oil is left there, which rejuvenates the back muscles and ligaments by easing the pain, swelling and tension. This therapy helps in getting relief from acute and chronic back pain, lumbar spondylosis, sciatica, osteoporosis and a prolapsed disc. Sciatica pain is relieved and pain in intervertebral disc prolapsed is reduced as well. The nerves get stimulated, easing pain and numbness. This vasti is also prescribed for treating rheumatoid arthritis, lumbosacral strain and disc bulge.
Sneha vasti or oil enema: in sneha vasti, only medicated oils or ghrithams are used unlike in other vastis, where a combination of various ingredients with predominant decoctions are used.
Vasti treatment accounts for being the most effective ayurvedic panchakarma treatment. It helps in alleviating constipation, distention, chronic fever, sexual disorders, kidney stones, common cold, neck pain, cervical pain, migraine, backache, slipdisc, fibromyalgia. There are more than 80 disorders which are related to vata, many of which are treated with vasti therapy. These may include sciatica, rheumatism, arthritis and gout.
Obesity doesn't happen overnight. It develops gradually over time, as a result of poor diet and lifestyle choices.
Obesity occurs when a person has too much fat stored in his/her body. This extra weight can come from body water, fat, bone and muscle. Obesity usually occurs when you consume more calories than you can burn. It is caused due to a variety of factors such as being physically inactive, eating foods containing a high fat content, overeating and genetic makeup. Obesity can have a lot of complications such as cancer, arthritis, stroke, heart diseases and diabetes.
How do people become obese?
- Consuming too much calories: nowadays people are consuming more food than they did in the previous generations. Consuming too much unhealthy calories can make people obese which may lead to a lot of complications in the future.
- Leading a sedentary and unhealthy lifestyle: with the growth of technology, people have become more inactive and are leading a more sedentary lifestyle as compared to their past generations. With the advent of shopping malls and grocery outlets people don’t have to walk miles for food. This also leads to an inactive lifestyle which later results in obesity.
- Not getting enough sleep: according to studies, sleep deprivation may also lead to obesity. This happens due to an increased appetite because of hormonal changes. Sleep deprivation leads your body to produce less amounts of a hormone (leptin) which increases appetite.
- Medications: certain medications can also lead to rapid weight gain. In such cases, alternate therapy should be opted especially for those people who are predisposed to obesity and weight gain.
- Obesity gene: according to statistics people who have the gene variant in their bloodstream tend to eat more than usual. They also prefer fatty and high energy foods.
- It is very difficult for obese people to reduce their weight. By changing in lifestyle like diet, physical activity level, water intake and sleeping pattern, if changed under supervision of specialist with dedication, discipline and faith in their ayurvedic and panchkarma specialist, can give wonderful results for lifetime. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a panchkarma experts.
Every woman endures menopause, by the time she reaches middle age. It comes with a lot of complications, and skin changes are also not spared. It is vital to know how to fight the skin changes of menopause to take right actions at the right time.
Major problems faced are hormonal changes and their declines. Ultimately, ovarian activity slows down decreasing in b-estradiol levels. This leads to hot flashes or warmth feel under the skin, especially on face and profuse sweating. The overall experience leads to decrease in the production of estrogen and progesterone, leading to skin changes.
- Oily skin: testosterone production is prominent that stimulates sebaceous glands to secrete thicker sebum making skin appear oily.
- Facial hair: some women show the development of facial hair, especially on chin.
- Sagging skin and wrinkles: decrease in estrogen leads to fat redistribution. This results in skin sagging on face, neck, hands and arms.
- Elastosis: lower estrogen levels lead to decrease in collagen and elastin in the skin dermis. Uv rays destroy collagen resulting in elastosis.
- Thinning epidermis: this leads to trans-epidermal water loss and dry skin.
- Hyperpigmentation / age spots: melanin production is tampered.
How to fight against it
Here are some tips on how to fight the skin changes of menopause.
- With age, skin becomes dry. Right cleanser with a creamy formula is a solution for dry skin.
- Use heavier cream to moisten your skin. Avoid hot, long showers.
- Skin protection from sunlight is a must. Choose a sunscreen that is from a broad-spectrum spf30 or higher and use it regularly.
- Due to hormonal changes, wrinkles appear, and hence you need to apply moisturizer on face, jawline and neck regularly. Use skin-care products meant to act against fine lines and sagging.
- Face, hands and chest usually get affected with age spots. Use sunscreen every day. Those who are already affected with spots, use exfoliating products. These products help to shed dead skin cells. Toners may also help.
- Apply moisturiser on hands too and wear gloves while doing household or yard work.
- Eat foods with antioxidants such as brightly-coloured fruits and vegetables.
- Soy, which is rich in isoflavones, acts like estrogen in the body.
- Stress tends to make skin drier. Yoga, meditation, etc. Helps to relax.
- Do exercise regularly to tone your muscles.
- Sleep well: beauty sleep is most essential to regenerate your cells. Sleep prevents dark circles under eyes. Around 8 to 9 hours of sleep is recommended.
- Now you know how to fight the skin changes of menopause. Follow the tips and then age will be just a number.
Importance of fasting in navaratri.
- India is a country with a rich historical and cultural background of festivals and celebration. Like other festivals of india, navaratri also has a significance and meaning attached to it.
- The nine day sadhana of navaratri is not simply an age-old practice of worshipping the cosmic nature but also the rituals, practices and celebrations associated with it has the disciplines of health wisely interwoven into it.
- Every year the beginning of spring and the beginning of autumn are two very important junctions of climatic and solar influence as the whole of creation goes through a kind of transformation with each changing season.
- These are called ritu sandhis meaning seasonal junctions (transition from extreme seasons of summer and winter to more moderate seasons like spring and autumn). Due to the changes in the nature, the bodies and minds of people undergo a considerable change. These two periods or junctions are taken as opportunities for detoxification of body, mind and soul which in turn helps to maintain our physical and mental balance.
- The beginning of autumn is celebrated as the festival of navaratri, the nine day period which commences on the first day of the bright fortnight of the lunar month of ashwina.
- " nava-ratri" literally means" nine nights"
- The navaratri festival is observed by cleansing one's self of all the impurities to experience the divinity within. This observance is called upavaas, which literally means ‘residing close to oneself’.
- Fasting is one of the techniques which is part of upavaas.
- Navaratri is the time when people fast for cleansing, detoxifying and getting their bodies rested. Fasts are a means of internal cleansing, physically and spiritually. The basic cause of many diseases is the accumulation of toxic materials in the digestive system. When one fasts, the load on the digestive system reduces and meanwhile the body is able to carry out the cleansing needed in the system. It supports in adapting to the bodily changes during ritu sandhi.
- Fasting also helps to build up self-control and discipline and bring more awareness control over senses which ultimately elevate the state of consciousness.
- The world is a manifestation of three gunas (qualities) namely satva, rajas and tamas. These three qualities exist in varying levels within one's mind.
- -satva is the quality comprising of clarity, purity and peace of mind which makes one dynamic, creative and harmonious.
- -rajas is activity or movement which in excess results in pleasure seeking activities, anger, arrogance and destructiveness.
- -tamas is inertia which in excess leads one to dullness lethargy.
- We contain all of these gunas in varying degrees and they are in constant interplay with each other. Excessive rajas and tamas has a disturbing influence upon the mind and does not allow one to go deep within oneself.
- So during navaratri, the aim is to reduce these disturbing influences and increase satva, allowing the satvik qualities to prevail leading to the highest condition of the mind.
- On the first three days of navaratri, tamo guna prevails, then during the next three days, rajo guna prevails and during the last three days, satva guna prevails.
- Diet lifestyle has a deep influence on the state of one's mind and can therefore manipulate the levels of satva, rajas and tamas in one’s being.
- Fasting in a disciplined way brings harmony between satva, rajas and tamas.
How to fast during navaratri:
- On the first three days, we can follow a fruit fast:
- Sweet fruits like: apple, banana, chikku, papaya, watermelon, sweet grapes and juices like amla juice, lauki juice and tender coconut water can be had.
- On the next three days, we can have a one time meal of the traditional navaratri diet, during the rest of the day, we could have fruit juices, buttermilk milk.
- During the last three days, we could follow a traditional navaratri diet.
- Caution: the above diet is for a healthy person. If you have any health concerns, you could fast with minor changes in the prescribed diet, with the guidance of your vaidya.
- Traditional navaratri diet:
- The diets followed during navaratri are pitta pacifying as during this season there is a possibility of pitta being increased in the body.
- Grains are avoided for the first few days.
Traditionally prescribed foods are:
- Kuttu (buckwheat) roti and fasting rice (shamak rice).
- Dosa from the shamak rice,
- Dishes made of sago (sabudana), singhara atta (water chestnut flour), rajgira, potatoes, yam (suran), colocacia (arbi) sweet potatoes (shakarkand), kachalu etc.
- Use ghee, milk and buttermilk. All these are cooling and pacifies pitta (raita of bottle gourd (lauki), raita of pumpkin (kaddu).
- Drink lot of fluids like tender coconut water, juices, vegetable soups, etc. Besides providing energy, they also maintain the fluid levels and cleanse the toxins in your body.
- Fruit chat made with papaya, pear (nashpati), apple.
- Use sandhav namak (rock salt) instead of common salt, for cooking.
- Avoid fried foods (replace fried potato with boiled potato).
- Use healthy cooking methods like roasting, boiling, steaming and grilling.
- Delicacies like sabudan vada, sprouted gram sundals, kuttu pakoda, singhara burfee and kheer can be had from the 8th day onwards.
- Be strictly vegetarian.
- Avoid onion and garlic.
Those who cannot go for a fast can do upavaas by abstaining from non-vegetarian food, alcohol, onion, garlic, too spicy food, and replacing common salt with rock salt.