The uncontrollable urge to scratch a particular area on your body in order to get respite is known as itching. The reasons behind itching can be plenty and include allergies, insect bites, chronic skin ailments etc. Affected individuals should avoid itching as much as possible as excessive itching can only worsen the condition, leading to skin rashes and even bleeding in severe cases. Usage of anti-itching creams and cooling agents can help prevent itching to a great extent.
HOW IS ITCHING DIAGNOSED?
In some cases, kidney or liver disease can also be possible causes of itching.
Itching, also known as pruritus, is known to be an uncomfortable sensation which compels one to continuously scratch the area that is affected. The itching may either be generalized, that is, it affects the body all over, or localized, that is, it affects a specific area of the body. On occasion a rash may also appear on the itchy skin. It may be the result of an allergic reaction or infection.
Itching in body may occur because of various reasons, such as-
• Common skin conditions, for instance Eczema
• Allergies, skin rashes and skin reactions, for instance hives
• Parasitic infestation, for instance scabies
• Itchy insect bites and stings
• Fungal infections, for instance athlete's foot
• Changes in hormonal balance because of pregnancy or menopause
• Systemic condition, for instance problem with the thyroid, or kidney problems
Constant skin itching can cause the area of the skin to rupture, which may result in an infection. Thus, if you face any kind of itching on body you can follow these few easy tips for some instant relief-
• Do not scratch the area of the body that is itching, instead tap or rub it gently.
• Apply a cold compress over the itchy skin, to numb the area
• Take a shower in cool water or slightly warm water
• Do not wear material which cause irritation and skin rashes, for example wool. Instead wear light cool materials like cotton and muslin.
• In case the itching is the result of a bug bite, apply mint leaves on the affected area.
• In case of itching on the body because of dry skin, use a moisturizer
A number of medicines, for instance antihistamines and steroid creams are also easy available, which will help you get rid of body itching.
Eczema and hives are common allergies that result in skin itching. Eczema, also known as atopic dermatitis is a generally chronic condition which starts during childhood. The itching in this case is generally localized and is a result of food allergies.
Hives on the other hand are skin rashes, also known as urticaria. The rashes turn red and swell up, causing discomfort and itching. Hives generally occur due to allergies triggered by certain food and drugs and even because of insect bites.
If itching persist for a long period of time, make sure to consult a doctor as it may indicate a much serious medical problem. You doctor which initially ask you to get a blood test done to look for thyroid or kidney conditions. Once the particular cause of the itching is established, relevant treatment will be advised accordingly.
Lybrate is a perfect medium through which you can consult with the best dermatologists and get their opinion either online or through an appointment. Through Lybrate you can meet the top doctors all across India. Find the top dermatologists and general physicians in Hyderabad, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Coimbatore etc. Lybrate.com also offers easy access to doctors via online consultation. Subscribe to Lybrate.com today, and get effective tips on how to deal with eczema and hives.