Near new RTO office, Prashant Nagar B, Opp. BOSCH Car Service Center, Behind Keerti Nursing College, Outer Ring Road,
Gulbarga [Clinic Timings:10:30am-2:30pm & 5:30pm-8:30pm] [wednesday & thursday -holiday]
Common cold is a medical disorder with which everyone is familiar. Everyone has experienced this condition during some point of time in their lives. Easily relatable are its symptoms like: sneezing, running nose, fatigue and constant coughing. There is a very thin line of difference between flu and cold. If a person is having fever at the normal body temperature, then it is a common cold condition. Whereas if there is a fever along with the same symptoms then it might be a flu.
HOW IS COLD COUGH DIAGNOSED?
Most adults have up to 2 to 4 colds a year whereas children can easily get 6 to 10 colds during a year.
One of the most frequent infections that people all across the world suffer from is the common cold. The tell-tale sign of every cold is a sore throat, followed by other symptoms like a runny nose, sneezing, tiredness and fatigue and dry cough. A fever does not generally accompany a common cold. If a fever does occur, it may indicate towards the flu or another bacterial infection.
During the initial days of the cold, the runny nose is watery and as days go by the mucus gets thicker and darker. The cough that follows generally lasts for about two weeks. Over the counter medicines for cold are easily available and successfully offer relief against discomfort. If the cold is accompanied with cough, a cough syrup offers much needed relief against a dry and itchy throat. Apart from medicines there are quite a few natural remedies for cough and cold available that are highly effective in subsiding symptoms of cold. They are-
• Fluid intake- the best way to combat an attack of common cold is increasing the amount of fluid intake per day. Plenty of water and other fluid will help beat down the congestion that is creating blockage in the lungs and the wind pipe. Ideally about 12 glasses or more of water should help with the cold. Apart from water, chicken or vegetable soup, ginger ale or any other hot beverage like tea serves good for the body.
• Hot steam- a hot steam bath works wonders to break down the congestions and bring relief to a blocked nose. In this case a hot shower or breathing in steam from boiling water helps nicely.
• Salt water rinse- Either a salt water rinse or a saline spray will break up the nose congestion. The salt and baking soda effectively breaks up the congestion as it goes down the nasal tract. Pouring the mix into the nostrils may cause temporary discomfort, but it really helps with the cold.
• Salt water gargle- the throat tends to get very dry and itchy because of the constant coughing during a cold. For throat relief gargling with warm salt water is a very good option. Gargling effectively moistens the throat bringing instant relief.
• Mentholated salve- natural ingredients like menthol, tulsi, eucalyptus and camphor have mild numbing properties, which helps to deal with the pain during a cold. Just a small dab under the nose brings instant relief.
If the cold and its symptoms does not go away in a week or two, and persist for a longer period of time, the chances are that it is not a cold. It may be an allergy or another bacterial infection. Consultation with a doctor become essential at this stage.
Lybrate offers you a great chance to consult with the best common cold specialists. Lybrate is the best medium through which you can get in touch with the top doctor across India. Find top common cold specialists and general physicians in Visakhapatnam, Bangalore, Pune, Hyderabad, Mumbai etc. Moreover, Lybrate.com also offers online consultation and solutions to your medical issues. Subscribe to Lybrate.com and consult with the best doctors for effective cough remedies.